Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

Before the autotip came in, I never found a tip was expected or sort of asked for. Not once.

Before auto grats there was always a pile of envelopes with a note telling (advising) who, and how much, to tip left in the cabin.

Have to smile ---- when we came home on Thursday we were amazed about the change for P&O.

What makes me smile is that despite this change meaning the end of some of the 'for and against tips threads' (or fewer) people are still arguing about it now on this one !

Enjoy the moment while it last folks - it seems like P&O have seen the light ............. for now ..... and, dare I say, included it all in the cost of the cruise ;p ;)

Have to smile ---- when we came home on Thursday we were amazed about the change for P&O.

What makes me smile is that despite this change meaning the end of some of the 'for and against tips threads' (or fewer) people are still arguing about it now on this one !

Enjoy the moment while it last folks - it seems like P&O have seen the light ............. for now ..... and, dare I say, included it all in the cost of the cruise ;p ;)

Exactly what I think.:)

The market has spoken here another cruise lines sees that charging these service fees is bad for business and will stop them. It is only about one thing the bottom line. Charging a daily service fee hurt the net profit so they have stopped it (or will). It has nothing to do with he crew becasue the line knows they are all replaceable. It is 100% market driven.... the market always will correct itself in the end.

The market has spoken here another cruise lines sees that charging these service fees is bad for business and will stop them. It is only about one thing the bottom line. Charging a daily service fee hurt the net profit so they have stopped it (or will). It has nothing to do with he crew becasue the line knows they are all replaceable. It is 100% market driven.... the market always will correct itself in the end.

Which lends credence to reports that P&O were indeed using the voluntary daily gratuity to boost their profits. As the number of passengers paying decreased that profit faded away. Including it in the fare restored the profit.

Next will be a 'free' drinks package which you have to pay for even if you don't drink.

Which lends credence to reports that P&O were indeed using the voluntary daily gratuity to boost their profits. As the number of passengers paying decreased that profit faded away. Including it in the fare restored the profit.

Next will be a 'free' drinks package which you have to pay for even if you don't drink.

I agree P & O was using these fees for the benefit of the company not the crew. IMO guest should stop paying them now. P & O has already said it will not change the pricing in May so why pay for something for another 10 months that benefits the company and not the crew or the guest? It is a recommend optional fee which I recommend is not paid.

That's what RCCL do in UK promotions and the price jumps up about £500 per week per couple

Well Ladies & Gents, after all the speculation I think we now have the answer as to how the lost revenue from auto service charges is being recouped.

Summer 2020 bookings have the lowest levels of On Board Credit I have had in a number of years (also booking at launch) with an either/or option of car parking. I usually get a good chunk of OBC in addition to free parking, but the parking eats up most of it now.

Anyhow, I still maintain that the abolition of auto service charges is a good thing - in spite of the fact that the net impact seems to be that even those who paid it will be worse off! At least we are now all in the same (boat) ship.

I mentioned this earlier in post that OBS was going to be going down. Had already been told of this in June. They'll take a little from that with a little from tiny price increases etc etc. But they are honest in that cruise prices won't necessarily increase.

Well Ladies & Gents, after all the speculation I think we now have the answer as to how the lost revenue from auto service charges is being recouped.

Summer 2020 bookings have the lowest levels of On Board Credit I have had in a number of years (also booking at launch) with an either/or option of car parking. I usually get a good chunk of OBC in addition to free parking, but the parking eats up most of it now.

Anyhow, I still maintain that the abolition of auto service charges is a good thing - in spite of the fact that the net impact seems to be that even those who paid it will be worse off! At least we are now all in the same (boat) ship.

That's what I suggested would happen.

We are getting £100 obc for a 2 night in a Suite which more than covers autogratuities.

The fact a lot of people were stopping autogratuities but still getting lots of obc made it easy for P&O to reduce the obc offered to compensate loss of autogratuities income.

Nobody can honestly complain about the prices of 2020 cruises as far as I am concerned they are extremely low. Its not so long back I paid over £1500pp for a Baltic cruise in an inside cabin. Honestly thinking that some people like to complain about anything they can find or in some cases not even find. Auto service charge for a 14nt cruise is currently £196 for 2 people have never had anywhere near that much in any cabin we have booked and only had the option of OBC or Free Parking not both.

Nobody can honestly complain about the prices of 2020 cruises as far as I am concerned they are extremely low. Its not so long back I paid over £1500pp for a Baltic cruise in an inside cabin. Honestly thinking that some people like to complain about anything they can find or in some cases not even find. Auto service charge for a 14nt cruise is currently £196 for 2 people have never had anywhere near that much in any cabin we have booked and only had the option of OBC or Free Parking not both.

I can’t speak for inside cabins, but the 2020 Cruise we have booked on Aurora works out as £100 a day (net of OBC) more than a comparable one we have booked for 2019 (also booked at launch and also Aurora). That’s for a balcony cabin. So, net of auto service charge at £14 a day that’s a net additional cost of £86 a day. The one we have booked for Iona is much more comparable. On every cruise we have booked in recent years (balcony cabins and suites) we have had OBC in addition to free parking, sometimes a considerable amount. I know you like to pick arguments but I’m just stating facts based upon my experience. Didn’t I read a recent post from you that you don’t book P&O Cruises any more?

Yes,the new prices will be interesting.

Have to say we are looking at the new prices and to be fair to P&O we think they are very fair.

If we compare this to the cruise we did in 2016 like to like it is actually cheaper for the same grade of cabin, we have no gratuities to pay (we always pay and extra too) and the drinks package looks like it could save is money. (If I have got the daily rate right ... if!). Add the 7.5% discount we get off 'stuff' then it isn't bad

All in all very pleased tonight and tempted but will keep watching for now :-)

I was being cynical and am quite surprised

I can’t speak for inside cabins, but the 2020 Cruise we have booked on Aurora works out as £100 a day (net of OBC) more than a comparable one we have booked for 2019 (also booked at launch and also Aurora). That’s for a balcony cabin. So, net of auto service charge at £14 a day that’s a net additional cost of £86 a day. The one we have booked for Iona is much more comparable. On every cruise we have booked in recent years (balcony cabins and suites) we have had OBC in addition to free parking, sometimes a considerable amount. I know you like to pick arguments but I’m just stating facts based upon my experience. Didn’t I read a recent post from you that you don’t book P&O Cruises any more?

I dont like to pick arguments but let me state one fact for you to ponder about during your rants. My first ever cruise was on Cunard in 1997 I had the cheapest cabin available on the ship (inside) and it was over £110pp and that oncluded no free OBC and no free parking. So for that reason I think cruising is as now as cheap as ever taking into consideration of inflation since 1997 and you are whinging about price of a balcony cabin at £100 a day net of OBC lol. Get real.

I dont like to pick arguments but let me state one fact for you to ponder about during your rants. My first ever cruise was on Cunard in 1997 I had the cheapest cabin available on the ship (inside) and it was over £110pp and that oncluded no free OBC and no free parking. So for that reason I think cruising is as now as cheap as ever taking into consideration of inflation since 1997 and you are whinging about price of a balcony cabin at £100 a day net of OBC lol. Get real.

I am fully aware that Cruises are much cheaper nowadays. We did our first cruise in 1996 on Oriana. We are not talking about that. I am merely stating facts based upon my recent P&O bookings. I note that you are not. I am talking about a price difference of £100 a day, not a total price of that. If only they were that cheap! I am not the one ranting! Why do you frequent this forum if you do not book P&O Cruises these days but just pick fights with those that do?

Aurora 2001 Aug. Price pppn £183.

Aurora 2020 Aug Price pppn £167.

1st 13 night second 14 nights. In the same cabin.

The one we are looking at in Oct. £130. Pppn. On Aurora

That will do me

Happy Cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Aurora 2001 Aug. Price pppn £183.

Aurora 2020 Aug Price pppn £167.

1st 13 night second 14 nights. In the same cabin.

The one we are looking at in Oct. £130. Pppn. On Aurora

That will do me

Happy Cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good price there Dai.

We seem to have picked an expensive one.

Aurora 2019 for 19 nights £114 pppn (£228 per day total)

Aurora 2020 for 21 nights £164 pppn (£328 per day total)

Same cabin.

Admittedly, 2019 is April / May whereas 2020 is July August, but I don’t think a hike of that magnitude is solely attributable to the summer. Some maybe, but not all (given some other summer cruises are cheaper).

Seems like we had a cracker of a deal on the 2019 Cruise, also booked at launch and before the adult only announcement.

Iona prices, on the other hand, were far keener, even for the Maiden. Very happy with those.

Have to say we are looking at the new prices and to be fair to P&O we think they are very fair.

If we compare this to the cruise we did in 2016 like to like it is actually cheaper for the same grade of cabin, we have no gratuities to pay (we always pay and extra too) and the drinks package looks like it could save is money. (If I have got the daily rate right ... if!). Add the 7.5% discount we get off 'stuff' then it isn't bad

All in all very pleased tonight and tempted but will keep watching for now :-)

I was being cynical and am quite surprised

That's good to hear.

We intend sailing more on P&O in future as we recently enjoyed the night time entertainment immensely on our Ventura 3 night cruise over the August bank holiday.IMG_20180824_132503.thumb.jpg.2420028329ab101c21ea5113485a3512.jpg

IMG_20180825_150135.thumb.jpg.2214f37257ff0530c5875517e0b45d94.jpg

I am fully aware that Cruises are much cheaper nowadays. We did our first cruise in 1996 on Oriana. We are not talking about that. I am merely stating facts based upon my recent P&O bookings. I note that you are not. I am talking about a price difference of £100 a day, not a total price of that. If only they were that cheap! I am not the one ranting! Why do you frequent this forum if you do not book P&O Cruises these days but just pick fights with those that do?
Well said Selbourne.

IMO yourself and daiB are the main two P&O poster's for information and advice.

Regards Graham.