Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

The reduce in OBS is significant as we had £425 pp in June and it half that similar cruise 2020. However I think we will see OBS reduce and the introduction ship wide of drinks packages. Let's face it most of the OBS was spent on either gratuities which are gone or drinks. This reduction in OBS will encourage more to take up a drinks package. If you don't drink a lot then it won't really matter too much. If you do like myself I would take drinks package and not be overly concerned at little OBS. That way I know I won't get a big bill end of my cruise.

Iona is presently showing up to £30 inside Cabin, £35 Seaview, £40 Balcony, £75 Mini Suit and £85 suit on G005.

Yes that's correct, but correct me if I am wrong but that is significantly lower at launch than one used to get.

Especially regarding balconies and above.

I am relieved to see that I am no longer alone in having worked this out, in spite of being jumped on by one or two people who decided to only read one part of the point I was making yesterday!

As a further comparison to those given above, we did a 7 night Fjord cruise on Arcadia in July this year and received £450 OBC for the suite and £235 plus free parking for our daughters adjacent balcony cabin.

As far as I can recall, many of the past passenger discounts applied previously, so no real change there.

So, it's great that people are generally happy with the 2020 base prices (which chimes with P&O's assertion that 'prices' wouldn't rise due to the abolition of the auto service charge) but there seems to be compelling evidence that OBC is significantly reduced.

Clever move by P&O because, as is evidenced by this thread, people generally don't take that into consideration when looking at prices. I am clearly in a tiny minority when considering the price paid to be the net of the 'fare less OBC'.

I see that, as predicted, P&O are now heavily marketing the fact that there are no auto service charges on all cruises beyond May. Quite right. It's a very good marketing message.

And before certain people 'have a go' before properly reading (or understanding) the entirety of the points I have been making, I repeat, yet again, that I applaud P&O for the abolition of the service charge even if, as lots of us said, it would be offset in other ways.

I am relieved to see that I am no longer alone in having worked this out, in spite of being jumped on by one or two people who decided to only read one part of the point I was making yesterday!

As a further comparison to those given above, we did a 7 night Fjord cruise on Arcadia in July this year and received £450 OBC for the suite and £235 plus free parking for our daughters adjacent balcony cabin.

As far as I can recall, many of the past passenger discounts applied previously, so no real change there.

So, it's great that people are generally happy with the 2020 base prices (which chimes with P&O's assertion that 'prices' wouldn't rise due to the abolition of the auto service charge) but there seems to be compelling evidence that OBC is significantly reduced.

Clever move by P&O because, as is evidenced by this thread, people generally don't take that into consideration when looking at prices. I am clearly in a tiny minority when considering the price paid to be the net of the 'fare less OBC'.

I see that, as predicted, P&O are now heavily marketing the fact that there are no auto service charges on all cruises beyond May. Quite right. It's a very good marketing message.

And before certain people 'have a go' before properly reading (or understanding) the entirety of the points I have been making, I repeat, yet again, that I applaud P&O for the abolition of the service charge even if, as lots of us said, it would be offset in other ways.

I agree with your points and observations.

Yes that's correct, but correct me if I am wrong but that is significantly lower at launch than one used to get.

Especially regarding balconies and above.

No as this is only 7 nights. Recently we have had £150 to £200 for 14 nights

Sent from my SM-G965F using Forums mobile app

It also means that with less OBC and perks to take into account that price monitoring sites are likely to compare apples with apples now.

The previous perks were worth so much that they had to be taken into account when looking at price drops and comparing to other lines.

Seems to be a good move by P&O as the majority appear to be happy with the changes.

The proof of this will be to see what else they can take away or put up the cost of onboard for after the initial peak sales have been made, as they have the last few years (eg removal of free room service).Perhaps they have at last learned that there is only so much even tolerant British customers will stand for. If so good on them.

They definitely seem to be targeting families eg free children’s drinks with the drinks package, reduced fixed price for children. The reduction there has to be paid for elsewhere.

Meantime let’s all just bask in the warm glow of being happy - for the moment anyway....

After my post I did notice that the OBC for an inside cabin says "up to £60". Hmmmm, However, with a 10% discount on the price that remains good for us. Don't think we drink enough to warrant a package. We have one drink in the bar before dinner and wine with our meal.

With the apparent reductions to OBC and IONA and possibly others only offering freedom dining it's becoming less of an incentive to book select. Apart from free shuttle buses the only useful thing left is the ability to choose your cabin.

BTW, we normally book select.

Choosing our cabin is the most important thing to us. I would just hate to be high up at the stern, which is what they "upgraded" us to last time when we had expressly asked not to be upgraded. They put it right, but that would be my idea of hell. Underneath the Lido deck at the stern!

Choosing our cabin is the most important thing to us. I would just hate to be high up at the stern, which is what they "upgraded" us to last time when we had expressly asked not to be upgraded. They put it right, but that would be my idea of hell. Underneath the Lido deck at the stern!
I pick our cabin every time around midships deck 8 or 9.

Like you this is the most important thing for us and why I will only book select fare.

With the apparent reductions to OBC and IONA and possibly others only offering freedom dining it's becoming less of an incentive to book select. Apart from free shuttle buses the only useful thing left is the ability to choose your cabin.

BTW, we normally book select.

We always book on launch, because we need an accessible cabin, and I can categorically state that the current launch OBC is unchanged since select fares were introduced. The higher OBC offers only come in after the launch period ends, at that point the launch discounts cease and by that time fluid pricing will have changed the initial list price rises as well, and to compensate more substantial, sometimes very substantial OBCs are offered, but overall the prices after launch are higher.

Ergo there has been very little increase in 2020 prices other than less than inflationary and currency movements. So P&O seem to be honouring their pledge not to increase prices to cover auto grats losses,

Edited by terrierjohn

We always book on launch, because we need an accessible cabin, and I can categorically state that the current launch OBC is unchanged since select fares were introduced. The higher OBC offers only come in after the launch period ends, at that point the launch discounts cease and by that time fluid pricing will have changed the initial list price rises as well, and to compensate more substantial, sometimes very substantial OBCs are offered, but overall the prices after launch are higher.

Ergo there has been very little increase in 2020 prices other than less than inflationary and currency movements. So P&O seem to be honouring their pledge not to increase prices to cover auto grats losses,

Thanks for the clarification.

I must admit that we don’t usually book at launch, so our past OBC experiences have been from bookings made some time after launch.

Going on what some others have implied I assumed that the previous OBC offered at launch was higher than is currently being offered.

We have decided this time to book at launch and have been pleasantly surprised at the cost of our IONA balcony cabin.

As you say, at the moment P&O seem to be honouring their pledge not to increase their prices to cover the auto grats losses.

Let’s hope that pledge continues.

We will probably continue to book select as we usually cruise with friends and like to choose adjoining cabins.

I must admit that we don’t usually book at launch, so our past OBC experiences have been from bookings made some time after launch.

Going on what some others have implied I assumed that the previous OBC offered at launch was higher than is currently being offered.

We have decided this time to book at launch and have been pleasantly surprised at the cost of our IONA balcony cabin.

As you say, at the moment P&O seem to be honouring their pledge not to increase their prices to cover the auto grats losses.

We will probably continue to book select as we usually cruise with friends and like to choose adjoining cabins.

If the cruises sell well the price will go up if not they will not go up. Nothing to do with tips at all.

If the cruises sell well the price will go up if not they will not go up. Nothing to do with tips at all.

I happen to agree with your logic but as you know some have been speculating on the possibility of price increases due to the perceived auto grat losses.

Credit to P&O as that appears not to be the case.

I have to say that my experience is different having booked a 19 night cruise for 2019 and a 21 night cruise for 2020, both on Aurora in the same cabin, both booked at launch

The 2020 cruise is £100 per night more than the 2019 cruise. Yes, the 2020 cruise is summer whereas the 2019 cruise is spring, but I’m not entirely convinced that the difference is entirely explained by that. By contrast, I have been happy with the launch prices on Iona which are very reasonable.

However, let’s park ‘cruise prices’ for a moment (as I seem to have chosen a very expensive Aurora cruise) and focus solely on OBC, as that is where many of us have concluded that the ‘hit’ has been.

The 2020 cruise gave us £170 OBC or free parking. The 2019 cruise (2 days less) gave us £300 OBC plus free parking. Whether it’s coincidence or not I do not know, but the reduction in the value of OBC / parking on the 2020 cruise more than covers what we would have paid in auto service charges.

I have a record of the price we have paid and OBC / parking we have received for every P&O cruise we have taken since 1996 and, although not relevant to the point being discussed here, base cruise prices (in general) are cheaper nowadays than in years gone by and that is what most people seem to be focused on. But the OBC / parking being offered for the 2020 summer season is less than we have ever had.

Others may have a different experience, but those are the hard facts from my perspective and seems to chime with the experience of some others.

I have to say that my experience is different having booked a 19 night cruise for 2019 and a 21 night cruise for 2020, both on Aurora in the same cabin, both booked at launch

The 2020 cruise is £100 per night more than the 2019 cruise. Yes, the 2020 cruise is summer whereas the 2019 cruise is spring, but I’m not entirely convinced that the difference is entirely explained by that. By contrast, I have been happy with the launch prices on Iona which are very reasonable.

However, let’s park ‘cruise prices’ for a moment (as I seem to have chosen a very expensive Aurora cruise) and focus solely on OBC, as that is where many of us have concluded that the ‘hit’ has been.

The 2020 cruise gave us £170 OBC or free parking. The 2019 cruise (2 days less) gave us £300 OBC plus free parking. Whether it’s coincidence or not I do not know, but the reduction in the value of OBC / parking on the 2020 cruise more than covers what we would have paid in auto service charges.

I have a record of the price we have paid and OBC / parking we have received for every P&O cruise we have taken since 1996 and, although not relevant to the point being discussed here, base cruise prices (in general) are cheaper nowadays than in years gone by and that is what most people seem to be focused on. But the OBC / parking being offered for the 2020 summer season is less than we have ever had.

Others may have a different experience, but those are the hard facts from my perspective and seems to chime with the experience of some others.

I agree.

Our obc has always covered the autogratuities so now they are scrapping autogratuities it seemed an obvious choice for P&O to cut the obc accordingly.

Seem is the critical word here. If they did not increase prices who would take the financial hit? It won't be the company finances and if it is implied it is the staff the company money men and shareholders should be asking the question if there are 50 applicants for every job why have you been paying too much for years when you could have employed the cheapest crew and made us more profit.

There are lots of not so obvious ways of squeezing £7 odd of extra daily income out of the passengers.

I agree.

Our obc has always covered the autogratuities so now they are scrapping autogratuities it seemed an obvious choice for P&O to cut the obc accordingly.

That's not always the case. We booked a 28 night cruise for 2019 on launch in September 2017 and our OBC is £115 per person in a balcony cabin. Whilst the OBC has gone up since launch, currently £340 per person, the price has increased substantially.

Selbourne i have never had OBC and car parking at launch. On 40+ cruises.

On the last cruise we did from Southampton - January 2017 we received OBC and Car Parking - the OBC was reduced as we chose to have the Car Parking as well. Had we not wanted the Car Parking the OBC would have been more. We were quite happy. This was not booked direct with P&O but through a well known Cruise Agent.

That's not always the case. We booked a 28 night cruise for 2019 on launch in September 2017 and our OBC is £115 per person in a balcony cabin. Whilst the OBC has gone up since launch, currently £340 per person, the price has increased substantially.

The situation that you describe has happened for years. Price goes up, OBC goes up, price goes down, OBC goes down. The issue we are focusing on is OBC at launch.

Selbourne i have never had OBC and car parking at launch. On 40+ cruises.

Blimey Dai. You might need to change that TA that you rave about so much ;). Just checked our last 10 P&O cruises (prior to the 2 x 2020 bookings) and we had OBC plus free parking on all of them. As with annieuk, we have the option to opt out of free parking and get even more OBC, but we have only done that once, where the sacrificed OBC for parking was double the cost of what we secured parking for (with an alternative to CPS).