Military deployment last minute and NO refund?

I agree on the social media, its not for me. Going to someone personally, one on one, is OK with me. I served, and put in my time, no complaints, but I have a soft spot for members in the service, they deserve a break where warranted

Agreed but if others in his party already got a break (military rates) on their cruise fare, it may be wise to leave it alone. If not, then no harm in asking politely and then just accept the outcome.

Good morning,

We just came off a week on Freedom of the Seas. The week of the cruise, my son was called up and deployed which made his attendance for the cruise obviously impossible. When I called Royal, clearly upset, they told us they couldn't do anything.. However, I had paid refundable fare, but was told I'd be charged more if we took him off the reservation. So we had to go with a no show, which was just upsetting as well.

Do I have any recourse or is that pretty much it?

No fare is refundable after final payment

I suggest checking to see if the credit card you used to pay for the cruise offers insurance automatically. We never purchase any insurance because we use the Costco Citibank Visa and it covers for things like this. Worth a shot to check out if you may have any benefits.

We were told to leave him as a no show otherwise we'd be charged additional fees..

We didn't consider insurance well because he wasn't supposed to be deployed, for lack of better term. His time had been approved for a few months.

We are new to him deployed and we didn't expect it at all. We got a call Monday for a cruise that left Friday.

I have been a military wife for 15 years. THE government owns them. Plans get changed often even “if pre approved” Sadly this is a good reason to get insurance form him next time.

Funny thing about insurance is that you need the right type of insurance. Cancel for any reason plans carry an higher premium. My annual plan has a military clause, but if the unit is mobilized, than I'm not covered but if I had my leave revoked than it is. I'm not in the military, but I was curious so I read it. Also, the cost of the insurance for the entire booking vs the loss for one individual as a no show. Curious if the poster would have really gained much from the insurance?

I'm not an expert, but I think too many assumptions are being made on the benefit of the insurance. Yes, I have an annual plan, which is far cheaper than the plans most people talk about. But I don't make assumptions that it covers everything, and is the best thing cost wise and reimbursement wise.

It makes no difference if it is right or wrong, it only matters if it works.

I hope the OP gets some help from the resolution department or the CEO can help or their credit cards have some insurance.

I appreciate their sons service and am sorry he couldn't join them on their vacation.

The purchaser made a mistake, they should use proper channels, escalating the issue to social media for a mistake they made to make the cruise line look bad may get them a refund and will make exceptions that much harder in the future for everyone else when it may be the cruise lines fault. There is no social injustice here, the customer is asking for help beyond normal conditions. Crying wolf every time something doesn't go ones way is not a good habit IMO

Guess my ethics are a bit different.

How is my suggestion unethical? I suggested that the OP go through resolutions as well. If that doesn't work, then I would tell my story on social media, taking advantage of the fact that the person who was unable to go on the cruise had approved time off, but is sacrificing for our country by serving in the military. At the end of the day, insurance is optional and many policies wouldn't have covered the OP in any case. There is no downside to taking your story to social media and pressuring RCL to make a concession. Even if it doesn't work, the OP is out no more than they are now.

The point is that with many of these stories, the CC community is good at telling people what they should have done, which is useless once the situation has occurred. I am trying to help the OP with something they can try, it may not work, but it is better than just saying...sorry you screwed up, do better next time.

I suggest checking to see if the credit card you used to pay for the cruise offers insurance automatically. We never purchase any insurance because we use the Costco Citibank Visa and it covers for things like this. Worth a shot to check out if you may have any benefits.

Thank you! I’ve heard of people having this, I don’t know why I never checked. I have a Costco visa! I’ll still get medical and evacuation insurance in the future though.

Good morning,

We just came off a week on Freedom of the Seas. The week of the cruise, my son was called up and deployed which made his attendance for the cruise obviously impossible. When I called Royal, clearly upset, they told us they couldn't do anything.. However, I had paid refundable fare, but was told I'd be charged more if we took him off the reservation. So we had to go with a no show, which was just upsetting as well.

Do I have any recourse or is that pretty much it?

If it was me I would contact my Congressman/Congresswoman - and ask foe assistance.

As I stated before, my husband is in the military. I would never go to social media to complain about not getting a refund on this because of an unexpected deployment. As a military member, you should be well aware that this can and does happen. By complaining, you are effectively saying that the military member was not responsible enough to plan and carry insurance. This reflects poorly on his part (not sure he would want his commanding officer to know he was complaining about a ruined vacation because of a deployment). If you would have had insurance, this would have been a non issue, though still disappointing.

As I stated before, my husband is in the military. I would never go to social media to complain about not getting a refund on this because of an unexpected deployment. As a military member, you should be well aware that this can and does happen. By complaining, you are effectively saying that the military member was not responsible enough to plan and carry insurance. This reflects poorly on his part (not sure he would want his commanding officer to know he was complaining about a ruined vacation because of a deployment). If you would have had insurance, this would have been a non issue, though still disappointing.

Wow

Exactly, and you said it so much better than I could.

Thank you! I’ve heard of people having this, I don’t know why I never checked. I have a Costco visa! I’ll still get medical and evacuation insurance in the future though.

I also have the Costco visa and if you paid with it it should be covered. Come back and let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First, I think it's naïve to believe RCI has never refundedpart of a payment after final payment was made. Secondly, after serving 28years in the Army I agree that cruise insurance should have been purchased. I wouldhave . Third, social media and or complaining tosomeone is certainly not the answer nor is that what I was suggesting. I suggested contactingyour congressman's office, tell him the circumstances, and ask if there isanything they can do to help. Congressmen are currently sympathetic to soldierissues and often eager to help. A call to the right person at RCI from a congressional staffer requesting assistance might get some results . If not you've lost nothing. Still don't think it's appropriate to do so? Then don't!

If it was me I would contact my Congressman/Congresswoman - and ask foe assistance.

Disagree. That's not something they would probably even get involved with. After VA lost my paperwork multiple times, going without pay for 6yrs, worked with Senator John McCain's office and they were able to get me my Disability pay and 8+ yrs back pay. That's what they are for...

For those who gave helpful advice, thanks. We spoke to royal pre cruise, and were told sorry, but nothing can be done. We didn't have insurance, as I said before this was our first go round with deployment, was unaware of certain parameter, and that some insurances do not cover deployment.

We now know to get USAA insurance on any and all vacations and to also plan on the fly.

To the poster who said my military member was "irresponsible", please note that he was not the one making the plans as he was in BC at the time. As I stated before, I am new at this military life.

My purpose for posting was not to get some sort of edge or complaining as @gerif or @maryjaden suggested, per se, I was merely asking if we're pretty much out of the money we paid. No big deal.

Again, lesson learned.

Funny thing about insurance is that you need the right type of insurance. Cancel for any reason plans carry an higher premium. My annual plan has a military clause, but if the unit is mobilized, than I'm not covered but if I had my leave revoked than it is. I'm not in the military, but I was curious so I read it. Also, the cost of the insurance for the entire booking vs the loss for one individual as a no show. Curious if the poster would have really gained much from the insurance?

I'm not an expert, but I think too many assumptions are being made on the benefit of the insurance. Yes, I have an annual plan, which is far cheaper than the plans most people talk about. But I don't make assumptions that it covers everything, and is the best thing cost wise and reimbursement wise.

I concur with all of this. Back in 2006, I had a cruise booked and leave approved by my unit. Less than 2 months prior to the cruise, I got tagged for a short-notice deployment to Iraq. My insurance (purchased through a large military-focused bank/insurance company) would not pay, as it was 'an act of war.' :rolleyes: Luckily, the airline refunded my non-refundable tickets after a quick 3-way call with my commander, the cruise line refunded my non-refundable fare, and the insurance company refunded my premium. So sometimes, insurance isn't useful and companies do the right thing. :)

We now know to get USAA insurance on any and all vacations and to also plan on the fly.

Definitely read the fine print and exclusions - even with USAA. That's who I used in 2006, and they wouldn't pay for my cancelled cruise after my short-notice deployment to Iraq.

For those who gave helpful advice, thanks. We spoke to royal pre cruise, and were told sorry, but nothing can be done. We didn't have insurance, as I said before this was our first go round with deployment, was unaware of certain parameter, and that some insurances do not cover deployment.

To the poster who said my military member was "irresponsible", please note that he was not the one making the plans as he was in BC at the time. As I stated before, I am new at this military life.

My purpose for posting was not to get some sort of edge or complaining as @gerif or @maryjaden suggested, per se, I was merely asking if we're pretty much out of the money we paid. No big deal.

Again, lesson learned.

Again, sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson. Please thank your son for his service.

Going forward, even if your son is not involved, please make sure to get insurance. Many people don’t realize their health insurance may not work out of the US. Even young, healthy people can have accidents. Medical services can be expensive and often have to be paid for immediately. Evacuation can be thousands of dollars.

Most of us can handle the cost of a plane ticket, lost baggage or even the price of a cruise, but not $20,000 for an evacuation - no idea of actual amounts but most comments say at least that.

Good luck in the future!

Enjoy the military parent thing. We did it for the last +20 years and our son (E8) is about to retire. We planned a couple of vacations around deployments. RCCL insurance will cover military orders if he had signed leave orders at time of booking, which were then canceled. If he was just a "no show" then good luck.

I hope you never get that 3:00 AM phone call from Afghanistan like we did. Don't let anybody tell you PTSD is BS because it isn't!!!!

Again, lesson learned.

I apologize as I didn't mean to offend you and I may not have been clear on my post. I was trying to say that life in the military is not like civilian life. As you are new to military life, I was trying to say that Taking something like this to social media as suggested by another post may have other implications than just getting a refund. Social media is monitored. I have the utmost respect for all men and women serving and thank him for his service.