Military deployment last minute and NO refund?

My purpose for posting was not to get some sort of edge or complaining as @gerif or @maryjaden suggested, per se, I was merely asking if we're pretty much out of the money we paid. No big deal.

Again, lesson learned.

That's the way I took it when I read it. If I were you I'd give resolutions a shot and then move on to the CEO. Why not? Maybe you'll get some credit for another cruise. Last I checked corporations are still run by people with feelings and not machines. Good luck and thanks to your son for his service.

Again, sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson. Please thank your son for his service.

Going forward, even if your son is not involved, please make sure to get insurance. Many people don’t realize their health insurance may not work out of the US. Even young, healthy people can have accidents. Medical services can be expensive and often have to be paid for immediately. Evacuation can be thousands of dollars.

Most of us can handle the cost of a plane ticket, lost baggage or even the price of a cruise, but not $20,000 for an evacuation - no idea of actual amounts but most comments say at least that.

I never gave this much thought and always figured "heck I have trip insurance". Then last year DW and I planned a trip half way around the world in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a tiny little island in the Maldivian chain.

I started doing research and found GeoBlue/Blue Shield highly recommended on CC. I ended up getting the annual plan (GeoTracker) to cover an upcoming Caribbean cruise and the Maldives trip. Granted, it's not going to cover if I cancel the cruise, get RCCL for that. But if I get sick or injured it will cover me and get me home. It was the only plan I found that had preferred providers worldwide that will take your insurance and not make you front the money and then expect reimbursement.

How is my suggestion unethical? I suggested that the OP go through resolutions as well. If that doesn't work, then I would tell my story on social media, taking advantage of the fact that the person who was unable to go on the cruise had approved time off, but is sacrificing for our country by serving in the military. At the end of the day, insurance is optional and many policies wouldn't have covered the OP in any case. There is no downside to taking your story to social media and pressuring RCL to make a concession. Even if it doesn't work, the OP is out no more than they are now.

You really don't see how this is unethical? Should we explain it to you, or are you going to insist on ignoring the lesson?

Geez some of you are heartless. I will never understand why some people choose to defend the multimillion dollar company.

To the OP do not give up. Keep trying. I think it is great advice to send the CEO an email and tell your story. Don’t be rude or angry ( and judging by your posts here you won’t be) but explain what happened. I can’t think of a better reason to refund a fare than yours.

If that doesn’t work then yes, post on RCs Facebook page. That would be a terrible look for RC or any company for that matter. Here is an individual serving his country and the big bad multimillion dollar company won’t refund the fare.

I’ve said it many many times on this board-this is the hospitality industry. Every single one of a hospitality company’s rules can be reversed or undone. It’s not like their hands are tied by a law or a something. I hate it when s company says “oh there is nothing we can do.” And I ask why and their response is “company policy.” That tells me there isn't a good reason beyond “we want to keep your money.”

This is why Disney is the best. The absolute gold standard in this industry. Because they use their heads and allow their employees to asses a situation and do the right thing.

I ran their marathon in January. They take your photos while you run and then you can buy them for something like $200. So my wife and I bought the photos. Guess what? I didn’t read all the rules and I missed the part where I needed to download the pictures within 2 months. After that they would be gone. I logged on maybe 3 months after to finally download our photos and my heart and stomach dropped when I couldn’t find them and read why they weren’t there any more.

I called Disney and explained what I had done. You know what the woman did? She emphasized with me. Said how awful that was and to give her just a moment. When she came back she told me my photos were reinstated but only for another month. I thanked her over and over.

Did Disney have to do that? No. It was right there in those precious rules so many of you love to cling and point to. But, it was simply the right thing to do. And that’s why I don’t complain about the price for Disney. Because I know they will do the right thing. Because they know that that creates life long brand loyalty and they are going to get a lot more of my money in the long run by treating me the way they did.

RC seems to be great at getting that first time cruiser but struggling to get repeat customers. On my Anthem Cruise, which was sold out, there was only like 1,000 crown and anchor members. That is a pitiful ratio for a ship that size. Your business model can’t be to only care about the first timers. It’s the returning customers that keep a travel company alive for the long run.

Geez some of you are heartless. I will never understand why some people choose to defend the multimillion dollar company.

To the OP do not give up. Keep trying. I think it is great advice to send the CEO an email and tell your story. Don’t be rude or angry ( and judging by your posts here you won’t be) but explain what happened. I can’t think of a better reason to refund a fare than yours.

If that doesn’t work then yes, post on RCs Facebook page. That would be a terrible look for RC or any company for that matter. Here is an individual serving his country and the big bad multimillion dollar company won’t refund the fare.

I’ve said it many many times on this board-this is the hospitality industry. Every single one of a hospitality company’s rules can be reversed or undone. It’s not like their hands are tied by a law or a something. I hate it when s company says “oh there is nothing we can do.” And I ask why and their response is “company policy.” That tells me there isn't a good reason beyond “we want to keep your money.”

This is why Disney is the best. The absolute gold standard in this industry. Because they use their heads and allow their employees to asses a situation and do the right thing.

I ran their marathon in January. They take your photos while you run and then you can buy them for something like $200. So my wife and I bought the photos. Guess what? I didn’t read all the rules and I missed the part where I needed to download the pictures within 2 months. After that they would be gone. I logged on maybe 3 months after to finally download our photos and my heart and stomach dropped when I couldn’t find them and read why they weren’t there any more.

I called Disney and explained what I had done. You know what the woman did? She emphasized with me. Said how awful that was and to give her just a moment. When she came back she told me my photos were reinstated but only for another month. I thanked her over and over.

Did Disney have to do that? No. It was right there in those precious rules so many of you love to cling and point to. But, it was simply the right thing to do. And that’s why I don’t complain about the price for Disney. Because I know they will do the right thing. Because they know that that creates life long brand loyalty and they are going to get a lot more of my money in the long run by treating me the way they did.

RC seems to be great at getting that first time cruiser but struggling to get repeat customers. On my Anthem Cruise, which was sold out, there was only like 1,000 crown and anchor members. That is a pitiful ratio for a ship that size. Your business model can’t be to only care about the first timers. It’s the returning customers that keep a travel company alive for the long run.

Any policy can be undone, reversed, bypassed. The question is "should it". OP was offered insurance beforehand and did not take it. Not the end of the world. They learned the lesson. It's not the "doesn't hurt to try" aspect that is wrong, it's the entitled, demanding mentality that the OP be compensated. Yes, it may be nice, the company may make that gesture. And I am the LAST person to defend big corporations or cruise lines.

Disney wasn't out any money by accommodating you. As a matter of fact, they made money.

Not a good analogy.

I think it should on a case-by-case basis. This might be one of those cases.

I don't have a problem with case by case basis and common sense. I don't have a problem with people asking for something they may not be entitled to; maybe they get it. Fine.

What I have a problem with is people basically suggesting that OP mount some kind of angry social media smear campaign until they get what they want. That's how adults think things get handled these days. This is how they teach their offspring to resolve an issue. No one thinks of being responsible and taking the option of insurance. Too late for that now, lesson learned, no one hurt, just some money lost. A lot of people that don't take insurance and have something happen have special circumstances or something they didn't see coming. If cruise lines make a habit of refunding all hard luck stories, why would the rest of us pay for insurance?

I can empathize with OP, really, but I also do not feel compensation is warranted. The cruise line was ready, willing, able to fulfill their contractual obligations, there was no force of Mother Nature that impeded OP or their family, etc. Just bad timing for their son.

I don't have a problem with case by case basis and common sense. I don't have a problem with people asking for something they may not be entitled to; maybe they get it. Fine.

What I have a problem with is people basically suggesting that OP mount some kind of angry social media smear campaign until they get what they want. That's how adults think things get handled these days. This is how they teach their offspring to resolve an issue. No one thinks of being responsible and taking the option of insurance. Too late for that now, lesson learned, no one hurt, just some money lost. A lot of people that don't take insurance and have something happen have special circumstances or something they didn't see coming. If cruise lines make a habit of refunding all hard luck stories, why would the rest of us pay for insurance?

I can empathize with OP, really, but I also do not feel compensation is warranted. The cruise line was ready, willing, able to fulfill their contractual obligations, there was no force of Mother Nature that impeded OP or their family, etc. Just bad timing for their son.

Well said.

Maybe I am reading too much into what the OP posted. It seemed like Royal Caribbean was willing to work with them by canceling the reservation. Could it be that the person deployed was booked with only one other person in the room? If so than that person would be charged the single supplement which would raise the cost of the stateroom. Royal advised for the no show to keep the cost down.

My 85 year old mother is not in the best of health. I know that I have to take insurance should her time come before the cruise date after final payment. It's all spelled out during booking process. If a war should break out during the same time frame you know that you are going to be deployed. Bad things happen to good people all of the time. The cruise lines offer insurance at the time of booking and you have up to final payment to purchase it. As you can see that the OP has received little sympathy from this social media site so it's doubtful that esculating it to Facebook or Twitter will produce a better result. There are people on those sites will have the same argument as those on this site

Edited by Iamcruzin

I can empathize with OP, really, but I also do not feel compensation is warranted. The cruise line was ready, willing, able to fulfill their contractual obligations, there was no force of Mother Nature that impeded OP or their family, etc. Just bad timing erfor their son.

Agree! Also, just to be clear, the original post has stated unequivocally that they made a mistake and learned a lesson.

There are just too many people any more not willing to accept blame when they err, or think they are special and rules don’t apply to them. So many people gamble on not taking insurance and then complain.

Again, not referring to OP.

There are just too many people any more not willing to accept blame when they err, or think they are special and rules don’t apply to them. So many people gamble on not taking insurance and then complain.

Again, not referring to OP.

But what about people (like me) who take out insurance, and then the (military friendly) insurance company refuses to compensate them for a deployment? (Please see earlier my posts on this thread about my experience.) The cruise and airline companies DID bend the rules for me, even with non-refundable airfare and after final cruise payment dates. Sometimes companies do what is outside of the rules, and that's ok. It doesn't make the OP 'special,' it means the company has a heart and understands that sometimes the unforeseeable happens and that even if insurance won't cover it, people get randomly called up to serve their country. I guarantee you it's not a common occurrence, and with proper chain of command authority/verification, I don't see the problem.

I was both active duty and reservist. I just retired this past spring. I was one of the lucky ones in that I never had to cancel a vacation due to cancellation of approved leave. I also had a chain of command that was largely oriented to taking care of their personnel, knowing how important leave is to the mental health of the service member. I'm sorry your boy got called up. I blame a rotten command. Did he go overseas? Or was it some kind of training exercise? Give him a pat on the back from me and tell him it'll get better. When he retires! :)

Been there done that. Anyone spent 30min in military knows "Stuff" Happens... My case from day one always short notice, deployments or training. When I joined Army had 10 days report to Basic Training. Once had 2 days notice was leaving for 11 months, another was 3 days when reported. Both those were 10 and 11 month training. Got home from cruise 2 days before 9/11, busy after. Was at Disney on leave got call to drive 20hrs back to unit. Most of a 13yr period I was gone min of 10.5+ months a year, But retired now, enjoying time with my 8, 5, 1yr old and 3week old Grand Daughters...

Please understand I have no desire to cause a stir or mount any sort of smear campaign or what have you. Personally, I don't consider the forums a social media site, and therefore posed a question here. I understand fully that our responsibility lies in making sure we have insurance, from now on.

Yes, lesson learned, money lost. That's pretty much it.

Going off of memory, the Costco visa covers med evacuation as well as any medical that your primary health insurance doesn’t. Best to check their website though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coverage is VERY limited with the Costco Visa card. Only $3000 max per traveler. If you need medical evacuation or something of that nature, you're in bad shape.

Oh and it doesn't cover medical care or anything like that. It states that they will refer you to someone but you must pay for the services. Also the emergency coverage worldwide is very specific, like you have to lose hands, feet, limbs, eyes, hearing. Here is the link for the PDF download.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/media/CPP/Files/LegalDocs/.../CostcoCon.ashx

Edited by Icesk8rReedy

If and I mean "if", RCCL decides to compensate OP my guess it will be with a Future Cruise Certificate. In fact, when we canceled with insurance for "any reason" (apparently job loss isn't covered) that's what I got. Big difference we weren't "no shows", but canceled at the 60 days mark.

So good news is they decide to give you a FCC. Bad news is you have to use it within a year and you have to pay for new travel and anybody else who wants to go on the new cruise. Not exactly a win!

Appealing to the CEO I agree with, public shaming for this reason I don't. Don't get me wrong, I have done my share of public shaming, but only when it wasn't my fault.

The hard part about planning a vacation that involves a military member is as I posted, trip insurance wants signed leave orders, which are then canceled due to deployment. Unless your son is SOF chances are he will know the deployment schedule pretty far in advance. Bad news is most commands won't issue leave orders much more than 60 days in advance. There are ways around that, which I won't share in a public form. But probably not viable until your son is at least an E5 or E6.

Yes, lesson learned, money lost. That's pretty much it.

Good call and trust me this won't be the last "military" lesson learned. It will get better or maybe just easier to live with after a few years. Good luck to your son on his adventures.

If that doesn't work, then I would tell my story on social media, taking advantage of the fact that the person who was unable to go on the cruise had approved time off, but is sacrificing for our country by serving in the military.

As a veteran, I don't support that course of action at all. Most military members don't want their service exploited on social media for this purpose. During my service, I knew very well the risk I took when booking non refundable vacations. I got lucky and never lost money but if I did, I would have accepted it because it was what I agreed to when I signed the contract.

I think it should on a case-by-case basis. This might be one of those cases.

Do you have any idea how often this particular case happens? I'm an Air Force wife and plans are interrupted all the time. Personally, I've had a clerical error cause my husband to deploy ten days earlier than he was supposed to. His leave has been cancelled and he's been recalled because of natural disasters. He got picked up for a one year short tour TWO WEEKS after he got back from a 6 month deployment. Crap like this happens ALL the time. We learned very early on to always get insurance (we even bought an insurance policy for our wedding) and to not plan too much ahead.

I might suggest you e-mail Michael Bayley, CEO Rccl, mbayley@RCCL.com. Tell him your story. This has helped in the past with unusual situations such as this one. Good luck

This is such a good reply to a cruiser caught in a terrible situation. I wish them well with this. Granted, I'm sure they are aware by now about insurance - but getting suddenly deployed you'd think the cruise line would be sympathetic to the issue at hand. End result if positive - a good PR move by the cruise line, IMO - and, satisfied returning customers.

I'm sure they are aware by now about insurance - but getting suddenly deployed you'd think the cruise line would be sympathetic to the issue at hand.

"I didn't know my family member was going to die, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know I was going to get ill 2 days before my cruise, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know my flight was going to get cancelled, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know the traffic on the freeway was going to be terrible and missed my cruise, can I have a refund?"

Imagine how many sympathetic refunds a day they'd be giving away! This is the exact point of insurance

"I didn't know my family member was going to die, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know I was going to get ill 2 days before my cruise, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know my flight was going to get cancelled, can I have a refund?"

"I didn't know the traffic on the freeway was going to be terrible and missed my cruise, can I have a refund?"

Imagine how many sympathetic refunds a day they'd be giving away! This is the exact point of insurance

Regardless, it's still worth the OP to ask.

You really don't see how this is unethical? Should we explain it to you, or are you going to insist on ignoring the lesson?

I honestly don't see it being unethical to ask. Even if the OP went to social media, I would encourage them to be honest. I realize that from looking through my previous posts that may not have been clear. I personally do not see it as unethical to ask as that doesn't mean RCL will choose to do anything, but I have received compassion from companies when I admitted I made a mistake, but asked if there was an agreement that could be reached. The fact that the OP's son couldn't go because he was serving our country hits a soft spot for me. I do recognize that companies can't make concessions in every case, but I truly don't see it as unethical to ask. I would consider it unethical to be untruthful about the situation. Make sense?

I honestly don't see it being unethical to ask. Even if the OP went to social media, I would encourage them to be honest. I realize that from looking through my previous posts that may not have been clear. I personally do not see it as unethical to ask as that doesn't mean RCL will choose to do anything, but I have received compassion from companies when I admitted I made a mistake, but asked if there was an agreement that could be reached. The fact that the OP's son couldn't go because he was serving our country hits a soft spot for me. I do recognize that companies can't make concessions in every case, but I truly don't see it as unethical to ask. I would consider it unethical to be untruthful about the situation. Make sense?

Ask = fine

Advocating a social media smear campaign = unethical

That's where the line is for me

I assume this was directed at my advice. In retrospect, I poorly worded my thoughts and I apologize for making it seem like I was proposing a smear campaign. If going through resolutions wouldn't work, I would go to social media, but using the word shame (spelled incorrectly) was not the right word choice. I might share my story and see if RCL would make a concession. I do agree that they do not have to legally, but they may for PR reasons because the OP's son is serving our country. I don't see it as entitled to ask, I see it as entitled if the OP believe RCL "owes" them the money. It is very possible RCL may do nothing, but the OP would be out nothing to ask.