Frugal Husband’s Anthem of the Seas Review

I once priced Amtrak instead of flying from ATL to FLL, and it was outrageous. It's not a "non-stop" trip and goes through DC, costs more than flying, and takes 2 days each way.

No, thank you.

Had that same problem for my last cruise. Such a shame it is so indirect.

I searched for answers and read posts about how to accomplish this seemingly impossible task.

I uploaded everything to Shutterfly but can’t figure out how to imbed the photos into a post. I then downloaded the Tapatalk app but can’t figure out how to post pictures in an existing post.

Can anyone throw me a bone? I’m 33 and am computer savvy...except this appears to be my Mt. Everest. If I can’t get pictures up I’ll still do the review, but I know my favorite reviews are the ones with pictures. So, please, educate this poor sap :')

Are you using tapatalk on Android or Applie, that could make a difference in the reply. I went back to using the cruise critic FORUMS app, picture embedding is super easy.

BTW both my favorite teams won this week, Ohio State and whomever is playing Michigan! Have a good cruise.

When I started my reply I saw 9/1, but didn't see you were on page 4, I see you have the pictures sorted out, so I'll have to reinforce my Have a great cruise earlier. I hope to sail anthem some day.

Did they give a reason for switching engines?

Trains into NYC need to be on electric. Same thing occurs on trains from upstate new york, engines switched at Albany-Rensselaer. Long Island Railroad used to run Diesel trains into Jamaica and still does into Ronkonkoma, electric into Penn Station.

Love your first couple days of travelogue, and seeing a first timer's view of NYC! It's the city I grew up "near" and I know it well.

Looking forward to the same point of view for Anthem of the Seas, as I am planning to book a 9 day for next summer.

My mother was able to do a lot of research thru the Mormon Church genealogy groups (we are not Mormon..which reminds me I think they are trying to go by a new name now can’t remember what it is though )- you should be able to get copies of all of those real manifests from them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like trying to get non-members to use the looooong name that has always been on the buildings: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Somehow people always shorten that to Mormon. ;)

Thanks for following along and the kind words. When do you start back? We just had teacher work week and students start Tuesday!

Teachers start tomorrow and students start Wednesday. Usually we get two days before the students come in, but this time it’s one day. Fortunately the administration at my school understands that we need time to prepare so the bulk of tomorrow is given to us as prep time, with a short faculty meeting first thing in the morning and a short deosrtment meeting at the end of the day. My school feeds the faculty lunch tomorrow. I love my school and my colleagues, which makes it much easier to go back! Administrators went back last Monday for a week.

My son’s start school on Wednesday. My “little” one is starting middle school in 6th grade and my big one is starting 8th grade, his last year of middle school. Here in NYC there is a whole crazy high school application process. So we will be busy with that during the Fall.

Can’t wait to read more of your reviews!

And we are also huge Disney fans (honeymooned there, DVC, current AP Holders, already researching how our kids can get into the CP, etc)....the pin collecting is cracking me up! We collect pins, pressed pennies, and sometimes a tree ornament for our vacation memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the College Program! That’s where my wife and I met. I was a park greeted at Epcot and she was a character attendant at Studios.

Being a CP was the best 6 months of my life. I would be happy to answer any questions about it. I served as a campus recruiter for a semester when I returned to campus as well.

Another huge WDW fan here, 16 trips and counting. My daughter was always my travel buddy as hubby is not a fan. She has spent the last 8 years in entertainment at the other Orlando theme park so my trips have become more frequent.

When DD lived home in CT, NYC trips were frequent to see a few shows. And I have several family members with bricks on Ellis Island. Going there always brings a tear to my eye.

Loving your review!!

Alright let’s put a bow on this pre-cruise vacation part. Thank you for being patient while I relived our trip.

So broadway show time, of course we choose Aladdin (Elsa was charging too much to see her and Ana). I got 2 tickets for $200 total and we were about midway up in the balcony. But with the overhang being so dramatic in the theater we were close to the stage.

762b3189eb9498b6b060886ea8235d1a.jpg

Those of you who know how broadway tickets work are probably thinking to yourself that it’s crazy I spent $200 for my tickets (some frugal husband he is!) but I am constantly being torn between my frugalness and my need to plan things. I DO NOT like to fly by the seat of my pants on vacation. I need a plan. And that need to plan butts head with my frugalness.

We knew we wanted to see Aladdin. And to ensure that we had to buy tickets in advance. We first tried broadway tickets and we got the $200 price tag total for 2 tickets and we were ok with it. But then they wanted $80 in fees! Um heck to the no. Then I tried calling the theater and the guy tried selling me balcony tickets for $200 each! So I politely told the man to shove it (my mouth actually said thank you for your time but I’m not interested). I then went directly to the Aladdin website and bought tickets. $200 total for 2 tickets and paid like $20 in fees. Grrr I hate those convenience fees. I’m doing YOU a favor by printing tickets myself or downloading them to my phone. I should be charging you a convenience fee.

If you really don’t care what show you want to see you can head to Times Square and get in line at the red and white ticket booth directly underneath the bleachers. I hear they sell severely discounted tickets hours before showtime. But you may not have a choice of everything. So keep that in mind and weigh the pros and cons.

This was my first broadway play (other than Mama Mia! On Allure) and I loved it. Plus it was Disney so I was hanging out with my dear friend Mickey again. Oh, and look what I bought

93e4e71b7d793c0792a1e06b477bceeb.jpg

Yeah that one cost me $15! But, first broadway play so fine.

Play was good. Wish they had kept Abu in the show but he was cut. Jasmine was amazing and so was Genie. Aladdin was alright. To me he sounded like Yako Warner singing from the animaniacs. Anyone remember that cartoon? Iago was very funny. The only area I was disappointed with was the ending, it followed the movie but it was just so short. It was like they realized they needed to wrap things up in 2 minutes and crammed it all together really fast.

Ah well. Show started at 8 we were out at 10. Back to Yotel to do last minute packing and watch Friday’s Colbert. This is the night they played the clip from the camera that was in my face for several moments. Aaahh my 15 minutes of fame.

As we are packing my stomach drops. I realize I know exactly where our set sail passes are...on our kitchen table in Richmond! Well crap. I figure this isnt going to be a big deal. I can’t be the only moron who has forgotten the set sail pass. What are they going to do? Not let us board?...whoa, what if they don’t let us board?! Ok time to hop on Cruise Critic! I post my question of shame and Bob quickly assures me that I will be allowed to board and it’s nothing to worry about.

With that we jump in bed and get ready to cruise.

Oh I found this picture...I remember taking it because I made the joke that I had found Judy Hops’ car from Zootopia!

782d900b1c81f097096f809f092b7518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My family calls me cheap. I say creatively frugal! But I once spent almost $500 on tickets for my daughter & I to see original casts of Spamalot and 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. It was so expensive but would not trade that special day (yup both shows in one day) for anything!

A couple more words about Yotel. I highly recommend it. No, it’s not a resort. But it is clean. It is safe. The location is great-we we’re able to walk to Times Square in 15 minutes, and there is a subway station maybe 10 minutes away. And it’s cheaper than other hotels in the area.

It is on 42nd street which reminds me of Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls. Lots and lots of lights and those touristy things like Ripley’s Believe it or Not, Madame Tussaud’s wax museum, and other things.

We felt safe walking up and down 42nd and the surrounding area. The only time we were just a little bit uneasy was walking by the bus station when it was later in the evening. No one ever approached us but we made sure to walk quickly and with purpose through that one area.

Also, in 3 days I became a New Yorker. I didnt wait for the little crosswalk guy to light up, I just went. I weaved in and out of people walking. I ate pizza by the slice. I was ready for my studio apartment that I could never afford.

All joking aside I did go from “get me out of here!!!!” To “I could live here”. For everything that is going on it is an introvert’s city. Everyone either has their ear buds in, face buried in their phone, or just has a face of “do not talk to me.” I fit right in.

I always hope TTUN is undefeated right up to the last game of the season. Makes the OSU win more impressive. :D

Great review so far!

Yeah well we haven’t been holding up our end of the bargain since Carr retired. Our O Line is still a mess. We can’t run consistently and they can’t pass protect long enough to give our WRs time to get down field.

We took our sons to see Aladdin on Broadway a couple of years ago, during the holiday season. We all loved the show. The Genie was amazing! We Also went to Rockefeller center to see the tree but I really don’t like those crowds. We ate dinner at Five Napkin Burger that evening which was great.

I’m glad you warmed up to NYC. Pizza by the slice is great...we just went yesterday for dinner to a local Brooklyn pizza place that we love, 5 minutes from our house. Brooklyn pizza and Brooklyn bagels rule!

Can’t wait to see your cruise reviews! My husband and I just took the plunge and bought the drink package for our cruise in April. It was 20% off so $44 per adult per day. Worth it for us as we drink espresso and cappuccino in the morning, mixed drinks during the day, wine with dinner, and we can bring bottled water off the ship, all included in the package. I’m keeping an eye on the cost daily because if they run a special that is further discounted, Royal Caribbean will refund the original package bought, and we can buy the package at the new lower price. This can be done up until 2 days before sail date. I confirmed this with Royal Caribbean.

Since there are so many Disney fans following along I thought I would take a moment to share two pictures of myself on my college program.

Here is my costume when I worked the main gate at Epcot

e51f2edccdf7c388566f2efa3023257f.jpg

And here I am when I was assigned to International Gateway

4abf98da9e351b4cabd98b4d6b1a9c24.jpg

• Like 2

Since there are so many Disney fans following along I thought I would take a moment to share two pictures of myself on my college program.

Here is my costume when I worked the main gate at Epcot

e51f2edccdf7c388566f2efa3023257f.jpg

And here I am when I was assigned to International Gateway

4abf98da9e351b4cabd98b4d6b1a9c24.jpg

Awww, I need a Disney fix! But, because of the cruise in 8 weeks, won’t get down there til late Febrary :(

Yay, a Disney fix! We were just there in July, as a group of 11 people! It was me and my husband (we’re 41), our sons (they’re 13 and 11), my parents, my sister and brother-in-law and my nieces and nephew (ages 17, 14 and 4). We all had a blast! Toy Story Land is amazing!

I’m a huge planner in general...comes along with being a teacher lol. I always do all the plans for our Disney vacations so we don’t wait on lines longer than maybe 30 minutes, and even that’s pushing it. We always go in July, every other year. I do tons of research and I enjoy it very much. I also love finding out everything I possibly can about cruises and resort vacations before we go. That way, once we get there, the only thing left to do is relax and enjoy! :D

Did they give a reason for switching engines?

Are you talking about diesel to electric in DC?

They’ve done that forever, even in the 50’s. North of DC trains run on electric.

We almost missed our train once. There was always around 30 minutes changeover time.

We always got off to walk around Union Station and look outside.

My mother miscalculated the time, and walking back up to our car, she realized the train had started sliding past the platform. She threw my little brother at the conductor leaning out the door and then the rest of us jumped aboard. I remember my mother was last, and had to run. There is no sound, just an effortless slide away from the station.

Enjoying your trip. I grew up outside NYC- looking at taking the train from Florida to NY next year since I can't get DH on a plane- long and expenisve trip (want sleeper car)

I took the train last week for business, and I really feel safer on a plane now.