Any way to get beer/wine drink package for a moderate drinker?

wbinaz

This query to all readers and any Princess cruises reps who might read: Is there any way I can buy a drink package that would cover approximately this: One to three beers per day, plus one or two glasses of wine, with sometimes a change to three glasses of wine only or 2-3 beers only? The all you can drink package I saw and the "beer buckets" strike me as either being overpriced for our situation or of no savings. Thanks for responding.

beer - 3 @ 6.00 = 18.00 + 15% = 20.70

wine - 3 @ 9.00 = 27.00 + 15% = 31.05

total - 51.75

add waters, sodas, specialty coffees , teas

won't take long to add up to the $ 70 per day PBP

and remember, on Princess, one person can buy the package and the other doesn't have to

NO SHARING !!!;p

Coral, does your book soon comment to the OP’s question mean you believe there is going to be another cost increase in the drink package?

OP, unfortunately the only choice you have is to do the drink package, buy the beer buckets, or purchase your cocktails as you go.

What about different plans: 10 drink (alcoholic) max, 15 dink max? Same unlimited for the coffee, water, etc.. Maybe 50ish per day and the current 70 per day?

Might encourage those (like me) who think 70 a day is way too much and probably wouldn't get my money worth out of it.

Two points to all above comments: 1. As I understand it, Sip and Sail is not available after you have booked a cruise (which we have already done). 2. I get from this thread that it is either/or on these beverage packages, pay the set price or high individual drink prices (example, and I have not priced this closely yet with research ongoing, so please cut me some slack if I have these numbers wrong): If I only drink two or three carbonated beverages a day, an $8 non-alcohol soda package is an economic loser for me ...unless water, coffee, tea etc is included. Same for beer /wine/drink packages. Strikes me as kind of like the concessions prices most of us encounter at a major sports event (NCAA football, MLB, NBA, etc) or a rock/country/summer classical concert.

Two points to all above comments: 1. As I understand it, Sip and Sail is not available after you have booked a cruise (which we have already done)..

You can re-fare your cruise to include the promo if the promo applies to your cruise.

Two points to all above comments: 1. As I understand it, Sip and Sail is not available after you have booked a cruise (which we have already done).
I booked a B2B for next April and May early this year with the $1 deposit promotion. When the last Sip ‘n Sail promotion started, I re-booked under the new promotion. For $100 more (as a single), I upgraded from an inside to a balcony for both cruises. I opted for $300/cruise OBC instead of the beverage package for a total of $600 more OBC in addition to all the other OBC.

Don’t know whether the new Sip ‘n Sail coming on September 6th will have any exclusions other than not being able to exchange for OBC. But almost always, if you’re before final payment, you can rebook with a new promotion. You’ll lose any perks from a previous promotion if you booked under one.

Don’t know whether the new Sip ‘n Sail coming on September 6th will have any exclusions other than not being able to exchange for OBC. But almost always, if you’re before final payment, you can rebook with a new promotion. You’ll lose any perks from a previous promotion if you booked under one.

3 for Free is coming September 6th, not Sip n Sail.

What about different plans: 10 drink (alcoholic) max, 15 dink max? Same unlimited for the coffee, water, etc.. Maybe 50ish per day and the current 70 per day?

Might encourage those (like me) who think 70 a day is way too much and probably wouldn't get my money worth out of it.

Probably most with the $69/day beverage package do not average 15 alcoholic drinks per day. If you lowered the price a 1/3 for a 10 drink package Princess would most likely average the same amount of drinks per day both alcoholic and non as they do with the $69 package. I don't see it as cost effective for Princess.

The answer might be something like a multiple drink package at a reduced price. Something like the coffee package.

This query to all readers and any Princess cruises reps who might read: Is there any way I can buy a drink package that would cover approximately this: One to three beers per day, plus one or two glasses of wine, with sometimes a change to three glasses of wine only or 2-3 beers only? The all you can drink package I saw and the "beer buckets" strike me as either being overpriced for our situation or of no savings. Thanks for responding.

DW & Iare booked on a cruise with the Sip & Sail promotion. It is 15 days and the Beverage Package is valued at nearly $1700.00 for the both of us! We could never drink $1700 worth of alcohol in two weeks! The problem with the Beverage Packages is that you are paying for the maximum number of drinks for EVERY day of your cruise. Some days we may not have anything to drink and maybe on sea days we will have a little more. We find it better for us to ‘pay as you go’ for our drinks – it is a lot less money for us in the long run.

One suggestion is for you to create your own “Beverage Package” tailored to your particular needs. It sounds like you can reasonably predict how many and what type of beverages you would consume each day on your cruise. Why not just add up what you think you would spend on drinks and pre purchase Onboard Credit to cover your anticipated beverage bill. This way you won’t need to pay for drinks you never got and if you underestimate how much you spend on beverages you won’t have ‘sticker shock’ over the difference.

DW & Iare booked on a cruise with the Sip & Sail promotion. It is 15 days and the Beverage Package is valued at nearly $1700.00 for the both of us! We could never drink $1700 worth of alcohol in two weeks! The problem with the Beverage Packages is that you are paying for the maximum number of drinks for EVERY day of your cruise. Some days we may not have anything to drink and maybe on sea days we will have a little more. We find it better for us to ‘pay as you go’ for our drinks – it is a lot less money for us in the long run.

That is simply not the case. The daily fee is enough to cover 6 or 7 drinks - depending on what you prefer to drink. That's nowhere near "paying for the maximum number of drinks" every day. It's still too spendy for me but your statement was just not correct.

I doubt that Princess is looking to find a plan that would allow every passenger to save money. They offer these packages hoping (expecting) the enough people will get the package and lose money on it to more than offset those who save money on a package

You are indeed a moderate drinker. It seems like the sip and sail is aimed at a heavier consumer! Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t drink much and the only thing I spring for onboard is the coffee. I will bring a bottle of wine on to drink in my room. I enjoy trying the local drinks and beers, which are never found on the ship. In Alaska, I drink spruce tip beer from the Skagway brewery, mojitos and rum punch in the Caribbean, tequila in Mexico, etc. drinks are much cheaper ashore, and you get to hang out with the locals. As for sodas, I don’t drink coke and bring my own poison on board. Unless your cruise is mostly sea days - then you’re stuck with what Princess offers.

As someone who works in the maritime industry, the prevalence of these packages is scary. Thinking of a middle of the night emergency and trying to get to muster stations with passengers intoxicated because they wanted to get their money’s worth, not to mention the increase in incidents involving fights seen over the last two years...

I've been going round and round on this one since we booked our cruise. The Beverage package is priced at $60 US per day plus a 15% gratuity. Because we are Canadian, our price is actually a whopping $86 per day! That works out to around 7 average drinks a day which we probably won't drink. However, the limit is $12 per drink which does mean that we can select better quality wines. I think the main advantage is that we don't want to be trying to keep track of our spending (don't forget those 15% tips) and then calculating the exchange. I have had a beverage package on my last several cruises, although not with Princess and not at those prices, and it really is nice that everything is included. I've read that wines by the glass are limited and some are not always available so I will definitely complain mightily if that is the case. If we don't get the beverage package, we will get the water package, coffee card, wine package (our trip is 10 days) and pay as you go for cocktails but it gives me a headache just thinking about it and this is supposed to be a holiday. lol I guess you can tell which way I'm leaning.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Since you are light drinkers, you would probably find the upcoming "3 for Free" a much better deal for you! :D

I don't understand why it is difficult to just pay as you go? That's what we do.

I think that buying those pkgs encourage people to drink more to "get their money's worth". Each to their own but pay as you go is our best pick!

That's what we normally do. We only had the beverage package twice and that was from booking under the Sip and Sail the last time it came around. That time I booked at a good price with the promo and then watched as the price went up and up. Hoped to do that this time but they raised the pricing right off so we will just pay as we go.

In other words... NO