Question about Alaska Cruises

condorchristi

I'm sure someone has asked this before but I can't find the thread so here it goes....

Are there any cruises from the major cruise lines (large boats, plenty of amenities) that leave Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver and go directly to the glaciers and return to the embarkation port? The problem I'm having from Texas is that, from what I have seen, the cruises that go into the glacier area all seem to be about 7 days. I'm in Texas and that means that unless I want to risk flying in on the day we sail and fly back on the day we finish the cruise; I have to budget more days into the trip. I'm not especially interested in Ketchikan and Juneau and Skagway; I just want to see the glaciers.

So what I'm hoping is that there will be a cruise on a major line that is 3-4 days and just goes from Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver to the glaciers and back without the stops in these towns along the way.

Does anyone know if there is such a cruise? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure someone has asked this before but I can't find the thread so here it goes....

Are there any cruises from the major cruise lines (large boats, plenty of amenities) that leave Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver and go directly to the glaciers and return to the embarkation port? The problem I'm having from Texas is that, from what I have seen, the cruises that go into the glacier area all seem to be about 7 days. I'm in Texas and that means that unless I want to risk flying in on the day we sail and fly back on the day we finish the cruise; I have to budget more days into the trip. I'm not especially interested in Ketchikan and Juneau and Skagway; I just want to see the glaciers.

So what I'm hoping is that there will be a cruise on a major line that is 3-4 days and just goes from Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver to the glaciers and back without the stops in these towns along the way.

An Alaska cruise starting and ending in Seattle would have to visit at least one Canadian port to be legal.

"Cruises to nowhere" with no port stops are no longer permissible for foreign flagged cruise ships from US ports. And even if a cruise line was willing to run the cruises you describe from Vancouver it would still take 5 or 6 days to get as far north as most Glacier viewing areas and then return.

It seems like the best compromise for you would be to fly to Anchorage and spend a few days on small boat Glacier tours. Yes you would be based on land not a cruise ship. But the idea that any cruise line would deploy one of their megaships on cruises with no opportunity to sell shore excursions is just preposterous.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No, none of the major cruise lines offer less than 7 days for their round trip or one-way itineraries.

Flying in or out on the day the cruise begins is always worrying, however Alaska voyages are rarely, if ever, affected by cancelations due to snow and ice storms.

GOOGLE is your friend...

https://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/glacier-bay-tour-boat.htm

http://www.gustavus.com/gethere/index.html

As others mentioned, every R/T cruise from Seattle must stop at a Canadian port to comply with the US Passenger Vessel Services Act.

From Vancouver it takes 24 hrs steaming to clear Canada and enter Alaskan waters, then an additional 24 hrs to reach Icy Strait (Glacier Bay). The other fact to consider is in Alaska the largest revenue generator is shore excursions, so no cruise line would ever offer a cruise to only Glacier Bay, since it is only scenic cruising - no excursions.

If you only want to see glaciers, cruising is not the way to go - fly into Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, etc and find a local tour, if any exist.

Good luck finding a solution.

I live in Texas and taking an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on Celebrity on Aug 30, 2019. We are planning on flying in a the day before, looking to take the late flight out so that i can work most of the day and then when we return to take a late flight leaving, so we can see a little of Seattle.

While the vast majority of AK cruises are 7 days, one-way or return, there are both shorter and longer exceptions. I can recall seeing several ~5 day trips over the years that hit just one AK port, then Victoria (if a Seattle cruise) or a couple of AK ports if out of Vancouver. Disney even have short cruises in peak season - e.g. next July they offer a 5 day RT Vancouver with just one stop, Ketchikan, plus a day cruising Tracy Arm that's totally focused on glaciers (NB: substituting Endicott Arm is possible, Tracy can have too much ice even in July for big ships).

I think these are your only realistic options of 'mainstream' cruises for less than a week that will actually visit a glacier, and frankly I'd definitely recommend either the 'fly to Alaska and do a glacier day trip' plan already mentioned if you literally just want to see glaciers. Or, since you say you want the amenities of a big ship, why not just stay on board one that will entertain you if Ketchikan etc. are of no interest and take a 7 day cruise?

There are plenty of Sat/Sun departures which would mean no extra time off work and a full extra day either before or after to travel. Before would be the more sensible choice, as with PVSA a factor, missing your departure likely means missing your whole cruise! A Sunday-Sunday cruise out of Seattle would give you tons of afternoon flights back to Texas the day you return and all of Saturday to fly up - the same out of Vancouver gives you a nicer city to hang in, fewer non-stop flights but still ample opportunities to get home Sunday evening in time for work on Monday. If you choose a cruise date that overlaps with a holiday, you could also have another extra day to spend pre- or post-cruise.

I live in Texas and taking an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on Celebrity on Aug 30, 2019. We are planning on flying in a the day before, looking to take the late flight out so that i can work most of the day and then when we return to take a late flight leaving, so we can see a little of Seattle.

We live in Atlanta and took a late flight out the night before our 2017 CelebrityAlaskan cruise. The one thing about flying to the West Coast is you don't lose as much time. 3 hours from Central time zone probably will lapse as WC is 2 hours behind. We left at 6pm and got there at like 8:40pm Seattle time. Had a great cruise as well. You can do it, it just takes planning. Especially if you take a cruise that leaves on a Friday you could have the whole weekend to explore Seattle like we did. I hope you have a great time! I know we did!

Fly to Anchorage. Take a number of day trips including going out of Whittier on the 26 Glacier cruise. You can also then grab a trip out of Seward to more glacier. You can also drive from Anchorage to Manatuska Glacier and walk on it. Truthfully if you want glaciers this is the way to go. Fly home after spending as many days as you want.

We are also in Texas. Did 9 people on NCL (July 2018) out of Vancouver and back from Anchorage. It can be done in one week. I was surprised how far from the glaciers the NCL ship stopped...pick RCCL or Princess. (And NCL was cheap on many other on ship items....food, cabin storage, shows...but that is another story).

Many people do it in one week. Budget is teh big concerns. You can do anything, but at what price?

We are also in Texas. Did 9 people on NCL (July 2018) out of Vancouver and back from Anchorage. It can be done in one week. I was surprised how far from the glaciers the NCL ship stopped...pick RCCL or Princess. (And NCL was cheap on many other on ship items....food, cabin storage, shows...but that is another story).

Many people do it in one week. Budget is teh big concerns. You can do anything, but at what price?

Want "up close and personal" to the Hubbard Glacier? Choose Oceania Regatta at 670 passengers (with exceptional food and stellar service).