ms Maasdam in FLL and ms Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam in Juneau September 10, 2018

Scrapnana

I already mentioned about the one lifeboat sitting on the bow.

Then Scrapnana mentioned that she saw 2 empty spots on the port side and we wondered where the second lifeboat was.

Wasn't one of those spaces where they kept the high speed rescue boat?

I see what appear to be lifeboat empty spots where Boats #10 and 12 ought to be. I am sure there is a lifeboat sitting on the bow. Where is the other boat?

I hope the web cam operator will give us a very close-up view of the Maasdam and her port side as she sails.

I see what appear to be lifeboat empty spots where Boats #10 and 12 ought to be. I am sure there is a lifeboat sitting on the bow. Where is the other boat?

I hope the web cam operator will give us a very close-up view of the Maasdam and her port side as she sails.

10 does have a tender hanging there.

10 does have a tender hanging there.

You are correct. At first, I thought there was not a lifeboat in that location. But, now I do see it.

I would be very interested in knowing what the plan is in launching a lifeboat from the bow. particularly in an emergency situation. Obviously, the USCG approved such a location. The only time that I have ever seen a lifeboat placed on the bow was on Rotterdam V. As I remember, it was a tender and it was in addition to the other lifeboats stored on the ship.

Wasn't one of those spaces where they kept the high speed rescue boat?

Maasie does not have a fast rescue boat Ma'am, none of the "S" and "R" class vessels do ;) They all have two smaller lifeboats (the first boat on both port and strbrd sides) which is/are used as rescue boat(s)

I do have one of the starboard side

6f4077da7253c8806982d33409ed35e4.jpg

It seems like all the inflatables are packed into that last space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the self-inflatable life rafts (for the crew) in their canisters (both on port and starboard aft of the last lifeboat)

You are correct. At first, I thought there was not a lifeboat in that location. But, now I do see it.

I would be very interested in knowing what the plan is in launching a lifeboat from the bow. particularly in an emergency situation. Obviously, the USCG approved such a location. The only time that I have ever seen a lifeboat placed on the bow was on Rotterdam V. As I remember, it was a tender and it was in addition to the other lifeboats stored on the ship.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the lifeboat may only be on the bow temporarily, perhaps they found a maintenance issue in drydock and it's just there for repairs (just a GUESS). Ships are supposed to have more capacity than souls and will sometimes sail short a boat after something happens. That COULD be the case here.

Roy

I do have one of the starboard side

6f4077da7253c8806982d33409ed35e4.jpg

It seems like all the inflatables are packed into that last space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great shot. Thanks :) I think you are right on the inflatables.

Me thinks that lifeboat on Maasie's bow is there only temporary! The bow is not rated for the embarkation of pax (in an abandon ship situation), nor for lowering that particular lifeboat, let alone with pax inside, over the side and to the water line.

There are single cranes on the bow (port and starboard sides) for the purposes of lowering equipment to the water line, i.e. the paint float and, at times, a spare long gangway that is stored onboard, but not for lifeboats.