Scary article in today's New York Post

Travelling2Some

The most disgusting part of that article is the court papers showing his salary as $1400 a month. Don’t bother telling me how they would be considered rich in their own country with that salary unless you would be happy to work 60-80 hours a week for that amount yourself.

Since you are a CC member, I have to assume you take cruises on one or more of the mainstream cruise lines, so despite your "disgust" at the crew's salary, you continue to subsidize the practice by giving the cruise lines your money.

No, most US citizens would not be happy with that salary, but if you asked 100 Serbians if they would be happy to work those hours (where the average salary in the capital is less than $400/month), I would expect 80 to say yes. But how are the economic realities of the US and Serbia related? Should everyone in the world make as much as we do in the US? Explain how that economic model will work.

The most disgusting part of that article is the court papers showing his salary as $1400 a month. Don’t bother telling me how they would be considered rich in their own country with that salary unless you would be happy to work 60-80 hours a week for that amount yourself.
No, most US citizens would not be happy with that salary, but if you asked 100 Serbians if they would be happy to work those hours (where the average salary in the capital is less than $400/month), I would expect 80 to say yes. But how are the economic realities of the US and Serbia related? Should everyone in the world make as much as we do in the US? Explain how that economic model will work.

If you do the currency conversion. $1400 US Dollars a month equals to about 142,555.00 Serbian Dinar (Serbia currency). One USD Dollar is about 100 Serbian Dinar.. That seem like a lot of money

Not that I’m saying cruise line workers aren’t among the hardest working people I’ve met but aren’t there many people in the US working full time for that little? Plus having to pay for rent and groceries on top of that?