Please help me make my mom happy!

jodiwinn

My mom is generously taking our whole family (16 of us) on the Allure over Christmas. She is more of a small to mid ship person, but we convinced her to try the Allure. None of us have been on a ship this large. Our last two cruises were on the Disney Magic and the Celebrity Equinox. I am concerned with the crowds as well as her getting around (She walks fine, just a bit slow). We have reservations for all the shows and early seating per her request. I am super excited about the new chat feature, because keeping in contact was one of her big concerns. I am researching everything I can and hoping to be so informed that I can ensure she has a wonderful time. Any advice would be so appreciated!!! TIA!

I was the planner responsible for orchestrating our 3 family trip to Disney paid for by my parents as their 70th birthday gift earlier this year... this is my advice and it has almost nothing to do with Allure!

First - The best laid plans are meant to be broken :) Have lots of options and be adaptable / flexible.

Now - what I think would really make your mom have the best time ever??

-Go and have a blast!

-Take tons of photos of various groups having fun and being together

-Dont bicker with each other

-Tell her every day how much fun it has been....and maybe what your favorite part was that day

-Smile often!

As a bonus - turn the photos into some sort of keepsake after (magnet, album, pendant, keychain, luggage tag, coffee mug - something...)

Moms are easy to please...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm my wife's and I opinions we felt the Liberty was more crowded than Harmony. I figure just because it's such a big ship people can spread out more. But I certainly didn't ever feel crowded and I get a bit anxious closed in. It does take a lot of walking to get places.

When we travel with my parents ( in their 70’s) we keep the plans to a minimum. We spend a lot of time relaxing at a table on the pool deck and tend to skip the shows. Main dining room dinner is usually our big event each day. It’s actually really relaxing and we really enjoy cruising with them [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When going from either the front of the ship to the back or visa versa use the cabin decks or deck 8 to avoid lots and lots of people that are on deck 5. Far less crowded.

I have found the front elevators are usually less crowded than the aft elevators.

Aft elevators are very busy at dinner time.

Sometimes if the down (or up) elevators are crowded, take any one you can fit on and enjoy the extra “free ride”. You will have guarantee your space.

We just returned from the Allure on Sunday. What a great ship! We were on a mission to relax and it was easy to do. Only plans were dinners and shows. Other than that, we just went with the flow and had a wonderful time. Hope you and your family love it as much as we did.

When going from either the front of the ship to the back or visa versa use the cabin decks or deck 8 to avoid lots and lots of people that are on deck 5. Far less crowded.

I have found the front elevators are usually less crowded than the aft elevators.

Aft elevators are very busy at dinner time.

Sometimes if the down (or up) elevators are crowded, take any one you can fit on and enjoy the extra “free ride”. You will have guarantee your space.

Good advice! Our cabins are on deck 8, so that might help! Thanks

We just returned from the Allure on Sunday. What a great ship! We were on a mission to relax and it was easy to do. Only plans were dinners and shows. Other than that, we just went with the flow and had a wonderful time. Hope you and your family love it as much as we did.

Thanks...me too!!

As a bonus - turn the photos into some sort of keepsake after (magnet, album, pendant, keychain, luggage tag, coffee mug - something...)

We made a calendar for the next year. Grandkids featured in their birthday months, and pictures of each couple, as well as landscapes and pics of the ship.

Give yourself about 15 minutes to get from the dining room to the theater. Let your Mom take it slow.

Allow extra time getting places and don’t feel pressured to do everything.

I'll add, learn the deck layout and look for alternative routes. Sometimes passing through the promenade can be difficult is a sale is going on.

First of all.... try to remind everyone in the group to not sweat the small stuff. Your ability to not get stressed and flustered will help Mom. If she thinks you are having problems, I'm going to bet she will be upset. Water on a duck's back.

Second, don't try to do everything. Given her issues walking, maybe try to do things "along the way". Or work a section of the ship at a time; some time in the sports area to watch the kids do their thing, some time in the Solarium , some pool deck time, Boardwalk time, etc.

Maybe give her chances to have special meals with groups, like the kids/grands(?) for breakfast in the MDR one day. Plan some special memory times with chunks of the family(s). Maybe a special girls time at the spa. Mani/pedi for all, followed by smoothies or chill time in a bar (including Shirley Temples).

I agree with the idea of photo packages. She will love having pictures to show everyone back home. Maybe even a special family photo opportunity, either hire one of the photographers for some pics or make sure everyone is getting pics taken with her, either professionally or by the shutterbug in the family.

I love all of the suggestions here. Does she happen to have a rollator walker? It would be nice to have either that, or a wheelchair along "just in case" the walking gets to be too much for her. It's better to have something along and not need it, than to need something and not have it. Cherish every moment, and get lots of pictures. I can't tell you what those memories mean when you hit the point where she can no longer cruise. I had hoped for one last cruise with my parents this past April. Unfortunately, they had to cancel for health reasons.

Group travel trips

Don't make everyone do everything together

Let families and groups branch off- one tour or beach day together and dinner at the same time will be enough family time

You can't control others/weather/ - hiccups will occur, just roll with them

FAmilies: They need to address children's needs like naps.and feeding at times, even teens need other teen time so keep that in mind- a two year old Will not do well in a 2 hr early sitting dinner- so if someone in the group goes to the buffet or speciality restaurant- no big deal

Take one group photo - the embark so it is done.