Customs in Miami - recent experience?

Cruiser Nonna

we had no customs forms a few weeks ago. sailed Mariner of the Seas, just has to show our passport on the way out

No customs forms in Bayonne back in August. No customs form on our AMS-DTW flight back in May. I believe customs forms are a thing of the past.

Arriving in Miami and mixed discussions - some say no custom forms - some say custom forms when you disembark ship (Equinox) - if anyone has recent experience would appreciate your sharing - thank you

Mid-September, off the Equinox. No forms. No nothing beyond a quick look at passports. I expect that random check’s are done. I had my “purchase list” ready to declare but nobody asked...

We got off the Equinox this morning and are at the Miami airport waiting for our flight home. There were no customs forms. The agent gave a quick look at our passports and waived us through. There were no questions about whether you had anything to declare.

Off Equinox yesterday. No custom form and very quick glance at passports. Probably 20 minutes total from leaving the ship to taxi. We did have luggage valet and could leave the ship anytime after 8 AM. We left about 8:10.

• 3 weeks later...

We was on the Eclipse March 18/18 no customs form, we booked the luggage valet to MTY, upon disembarking the official only looks our passport and ask us, are you returning to home, YES we are going to MIA. that's all.

Also just disembarked the Summit past Sunday at Cape Liberty N.J (NY Metro), this was the fastest and easiest customs immigration I have in all my life, after picking my bags the immigration officer tell me stand in the yellow line and look to the camera and not  move, the camera took me a picture and the green light turns on, the official tells me go to line 1 and go home, no official looks at my passport and or VISA no customs declaration etc. They are doing facial recognition.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:37 AM, Phxazzcruisers said:

we actually had our Customs check in Key West when on the Equinox in September as that was our entry port into the US. They came on board and we had to all go through customs on the ship. Easy, just looked at passports. No forms

This actually would have been an immigration check. Customs checks are at the last port, not one in the middle of the cruise.

14 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

This actually would have been an immigration check. Customs checks are at the last port, not one in the middle of the cruise.

If Key West was the first entry into the US before returning to the US and no other ports were visited between it could be both.

19 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

There was NO customs check at the port of Miami after the "immigration" check at Key West.  Key West was not the middle of the cruise, it was the Port of entry into the US.

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

45 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

No paper forms needed. 99% of passengers hadn't caught on to mobile passport either. We bypassed probably 300 people last time since there was not a single person in the mobile passport line. 

The last time we disembarked (although it was in Ft. Lauderdale) the Mobile Passport app wasn't working and it was a long line that moved slowly. There were no longer paper forms there either.  Hopefully GE will get us through quickly next cruise.

Edited by Luvcrusn

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

There was NO customs check at the port of Miami after the "immigration" check at Key West.  Key West was not the middle of the cruise, it was the Port of entry into the US.

But you went to another port to disembark the cruise, right?

Immigration is upon entry to the U.S.; that's why they checked your passports. Customs is at the disembarkation port. What we're discussing here is that apparently there are no longer forms or specific questions (except maybe for random checks) at Miami, so that fits with your response.

4 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

But you went to another port to disembark the cruise, right?

Immigration is upon entry to the U.S.; that's why they checked your passports. Customs is at the disembarkation port. What we're discussing here is that apparently there are no longer forms or specific questions (except maybe for random checks) at Miami, so that fits with your response.

correct.  There was no one at the Miami Port to check anything.  No customs forms, no checks.  Just got off ship and went straight to Lyft to airport.