Just assigned guarantee on Ruby

October 18th sailing, literally just checked and assigned a cabin. Ugh! I booked a guarantee (no choice) it was a obstructed ocean view. Just assigned E109. I couldn't believe that they waited all this time for a horrible location and cabin. Pretty disappointed. We have sailed with them around 11 times now. So apparently that doesn't matter. I know people always want to know what you get on a guarantee, so this is what we got. I did book directly with Princess so not sure if that made a difference in what we finally received.

If you look to see available cabins in the category they assigned you, you will have no problem in changing your cabin. I did just that a few days ago. It will be especially easy for you since you booked directly with Princess. Good luck. 

Of course not. I am just saying that people ask on a guarantee what cabin you end up with and this is it. I have know idea who reserved guarantees and what they ended up with. Of course there was no choice when I booked or I would always prefer to choose my own cabin. That's all.

Looks like you got exactly what you paid for. Obstructed view outside cabin.And lucky you don't have the large lifeboat in front of your window.

Had you booked a guarantee in another category , then you would have gotten better. There is never a guarantee you will wind up with an upgrade.

E109 looks out onto the upper promenade deck.

Versus the other obstructed cabins you could have been assigned you did pretty good.

There is a door a few cabins away (forward) from yours that goes right out onto that deck.

Thats the chance you take when you book a GTY. ( I realize thats the only choice you had)

GTY assignments have nothing to do with your cruise history.  

27 minutes ago, california and cruising said:

So Keith, the deck is actually usable so to speak to look out if we wanted?

Yes its like you're own balcony. Granted there will be other passengers out there during the day. Its a big area.

The promenade deck is on deck 7. If you walk all the way forward there are stairs up to the deck 8 level near your cabin. That deck area is also outside. You can walk all the way around the front of the ship on that upper deck 8 and back down the other side.Those stairs are locked off at night but you can still walk out that door near your cabin. We go out there at night because its pitch black and great stargazing if its clear. There is a full roof over that area so you have to look out and up.  Your cabin looks out onto that area. The window has mirror tint. Cant see in during the day but at night if the lights on in the cabin and anyone is out there they can see in. There is pretty much nobody out there at night because the stairs are locked off from sunset to sunrise. Most don't know about the door.

I understand your frustration  ... I had to book OF (ocean front unobstructed) to get on the Star in March. All but 9 OF are full & the guarantee list is long, not sure if I'm going to be put into OE (4 in front of ship with a deck outside) or OC (Plaza behind art gallery). It's a little nerve wracking, hope I'm lucky. 

2 hours ago, california and cruising said:

Thank you that actually sounds great. I was concerned about the area surrounding the cabin at night. I feel much better now that you explained it.

If you booked a guaranteed ocean view obstructed you could have been allocated an OZ OY, OW, or OV.  These are obstructed view.  In my brochure you have an OF which is not listed as "obstructed view"  o.k. it's not panoramic but pretty good.  The upper portion of the Promenade Deck outside the cabin is never that busy as you have to ascend and descend stairs to get onto that section.  Generally; in port, in rough seas, high winds and at night the stairs allowing access to the elevated section of the Promenade Deck outside your cabin are closed to passengers for safety.  Your cabin window is of the mirror glass type and people cannot see in whereas you can see out.  When it is dark outside it is possible to see in from outside if you have lights on and curtains open.  Crew sometimes walk out onto this area during the night.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Actually in response to jlp20. If there was a assigned cabin available I would have chosen one. They did not have any other choice. Like I said I never book this way with a guarantee, but no choice and yes we got exactly what we paid for, however it wasn't any savings at all, that's just what they had. The dates were what we needed so that was it. But, my post in the first place was to let people know on what they might expect from a guarantee booking. Am I disappointed of course, but it isn't the end of the world. I still will enjoy everything that any other cabin has on the sailing.

Your window is definitely good during the day.  People outside cannot see into it, plus it's next to the stairs and they're graduated so it's not easy because of that also.  I think you did pretty good with your Guarantee.  Better than I did.  I stayed within the same category, darn it!

• Like 1

Actually we were booked on the Ruby the 21st with a cabin of our choice, but circumstances happened and we changed to this cruise, so instead of bashing me, why not do like some other fellow cruisers do and stay positive. Like I said we will be on the cruise and have a wonderful time. It's not a bad cabin, just wouldn't have been my first choice as it is so forward that's all. That's more of my concern and that's why I like to choose a cabin.

On 10/17/2018 at 12:10 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

E109 looks out onto the upper promenade deck.

Versus the other obstructed cabins you could have been assigned you did pretty good.

There is a door a few cabins away (forward) from yours that goes right out onto that deck.

Thats the chance you take when you book a GTY. ( I realize thats the only choice you had)

GTY assignments have nothing to do with your cruise history.  

There is a door to go out to the forward promenade on Deck 8?  That's really good to know.    Appreciate you telling us.  :classic_smile:

Where is the door though?  Looking at the deck plan the only place I think it's possible for a door is right forward of room E101 (and E 102 on the other side).  Am I right? 

Edited by molole

1 hour ago, molole said:

There is a door to go out to the forward promenade on Deck 8?  That's really good to know.    Appreciate you telling us.  :classic_smile:

Where is the door though?  Looking at the deck plan the only place I think it's possible for a door is right forward of room E101 (and E 102 on the other side).  Am I right? 

Yes it’s righr next to 101/102.  👍👍

• Thanks 1