I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

I guess I didn't give enough details. The yorkie was not wearing a vest, which I know is not required.  The woman in the motorized scooter was handing the dog for others to hold when she was in the suite lounge and when the dog was in the stroller someone else was pushing it around without the lady in sight. A service dog has a job to do and stays with the person that has a need for their assistance. The dog was also being fed from the table and the woman was all over the ship without her dog around her.

Most of the behavior I could possibly see reasons for, but if the owner was often without the dog and vice versa(and not just while using their respective restrooms) then it does seem hard to view the dog as a genuine service animal.

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

I guess I didn't give enough details. The yorkie was not wearing a vest, which I know is not required.  The woman in the motorized scooter was handing the dog for others to hold when she was in the suite lounge and when the dog was in the stroller someone else was pushing it around without the lady in sight. A service dog has a job to do and stays with the person that has a need for their assistance. The dog was also being fed from the table and the woman was all over the ship without her dog around her.

Are you certain it was a service dog and not a therapy/comfort dog?

20 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you certain it was a service dog and not a therapy/comfort dog?

No, I didn't ask.  I thought only service animals were allowed.  My dogs are therapy dogs and bring comfort and reduce stress to others.  They go to airports, hospitals, nursing homes and schools.  There is no need for them on a cruise unless the ship is going down.  I have Newfoundlands, a breed known for rescuing people at sea. Maybe they should be allowed on board!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

"If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc."

The above, from RCI's website, pretty much says it all about dog behavior on board.  A properly trained service dog would not exhibit those behaviors.....but "Fluffy the emotional support lap dog" is much more likely to.  If you see a dog's behavior that meets the above criteria whilst on board, report it to guest relations and include comments on your end of cruise evaluation. The cruise lines need to hear that we are not happy about people gaming the system so that they can bring Fluffy along to negatively affect our emotional stability.

These are the rules that should be applied by RCI and not letting Fluffy slip through the system  and cause trouble for other passengers and trained service animals.  If I saw any of the behaviors particularly biting or failure to use designated relief areas, I would report it to Guest Relations and ask that Fluffy and her owner be removed from the ship at the next port.  

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

These are the rules that should be applied by RCI and not letting Fluffy slip through the system  and cause trouble for other passengers and trained service animals.  If I saw any of the behaviors particularly biting or failure to use designated relief areas, I would report it to Guest Relations and ask that Fluffy and her owner be removed from the ship at the next port.  

So, have you seen that kind of misbehavior on any cruise that you’ve been on?

Just now, Kingofcool1947 said:

So, have you seen that kind of misbehavior on any cruise that you’ve been on?

Just someone carrying around her "Little Fluffy" and someone having a dog in the Diamond Lounge.  But if someone's dog did exhibit the behavior I specified, I would bring it up to Guest Relations etc.  I've read about those behaviors on Cruise Critic and other Social Media.  

20 minutes ago, FireEMT978 said:

Are you ACTUALLY defending the Therapy/Comfort dog BS?

No.  Just wow.  What’s the B.S.? So, you don’t believe Therrapy/comfort dogs serve a purpose to their owners?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapy_dog

Edited by Kingofcool1947

49 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

No.  Just wow.  What’s the B.S.? So, you don’t believe Therrapy/comfort dogs serve a purpose to their owners?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapy_dog

Sure. They serve a purpose. In their home! With their owners/handlers. 

They DON'T belong in the same category, or public venues, as SERVICE dogs do.

That is my opinion 110%!

• Like 4

I just got off the Anthem in November and who was on there, but the man with the little dog in the wheeled cart.  I was sure after the new ruling came down, I would not see him again.  Anyone who cruises out of Bayonne has more than likely seen this dog and realizes it is definitely not a service dog.  

On 12/19/2018 at 8:05 AM, Ragoczy said:

"not being available to be pet" - In general, correct. But people do ask. And some handlers, for whom the distraction is not a hardship, allow it, using the opportunity to teach the asker why it's not generally allowed and why they probably shouldn't ask.

I LOVE LOVE almost every dog, but know that it is not ok to pet a service dog when they are “working”.  It’s annoying that other adults don’t realize that petting a working dog is not ok 😞

I would encourage everyone who has commented to come here - to the CC thread dedicated to Cruising with a Service Animal. Read all 500+ pages and 20k plus replies to see what the owners of legitimate service dogs experience and the wonderful relationship they have with their dogs (and don't forget miniature horses can be trained as service animals as well):

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, SherriZ366 said:

While walking around an outside deck recently, a dog being walked in front of us stopped and dumped a load in the middle of the floor.  The woman leading it turned around and watched and then pulled the dog along with her, leaving the mess.

21 minutes ago, lovelife said:

While walking around an outside deck recently, a dog being walked in front of us stopped and dumped a load in the middle of the floor.  The woman leading it turned around and watched and then pulled the dog along with her, leaving the mess.

What?  I would have taken out my phone and videoed the dog's mess, woman and immediately called a crew member.  That's insane.  Both should have been removed and barred for life.  I could see the dog having and accident but CLEAN IT UP.

It's amazing how lax we have become with animals.  I was Christmas shopping and passed a couple just walking their dog through the mall.  No vest, nothing just out with fluffy.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor
  • Like 2

I've been on MANY cruises with dogs,  in fact in the past few years I can't  recall a cruise when there was NOT a dog(s).  We've seen all types of dogs, from  those walking with the owner and  providing a visible service, to those providing a service from their stroller.    I've never seen  any dog relieving itself around the ship.    

We had one cruise with a group of service dogs (I think it was Paws).  There were about 8 dogs.  There were  a variety of relief areas ( tree bark, grass etc) on the walk around deck.   I don't see or hear of any relief accidents on the cruise.

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

I agree with PopeyeDaSailor -- video the incident, take the video to Guest Relations ore higher and get the woman and her dog thrown off the ship and banned from cruising.  The woman should have been alert to the dog's need to defecate and should have taken it to the designated area to do its business.  The crew should, who would be required to don hazardous waste gear, should not be responsible for the passenger's not exercising her responsibility.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

What?  I would have taken out my phone and videoed the dog's mess, woman and immediately called a crew member.  That's insane.  Both should have been removed and barred for life.  I could see the dog having and accident but CLEAN IT UP.

It's amazing how lax we have become with animals.  I was Christmas shopping and passed a couple just walking their dog through the mall.  No vest, nothing just out with fluffy.

Totally agree!!

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I've been on MANY cruises with dogs,  in fact in the past few years I can't  recall a cruise when there was NOT a dog(s).  We've seen all types of dogs, from  those walking with the owner and  providing a visible service, to those providing a service from their stroller.    I've never seen  any dog relieving itself around the ship.    

We had one cruise with a group of service dogs (I think it was Paws).  There were about 8 dogs.  There were  a variety of relief areas ( tree bark, grass etc) on the walk around deck.   I don't see or hear of any relief accidents on the cruise.

A friend volunteers for Paws and one of her tasks is to accompany a Paws group cruise.  So I am very familiar with this program.  These dogs are highly trained and would not have relief accidents.  They relieve themselves on command.  I worry that the passengers bringing Little Fluffy onboard with her stroller, outfits etc are jeopardizing the ability of Paws and other trained service animals to be able to be brought onto a cruise and provide needed assistance to their owners.  Without these trained service animals, many people would be unable to cruise.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

A friend volunteers for Paws and one of her tasks is to accompany a Paws group cruise.  So I am very familiar with this program.  These dogs are highly trained and would not have relief accidents.  They relieve themselves on command.  I worry that the passengers bringing Little Fluffy onboard with her stroller, outfits etc are jeopardizing the ability of Paws and other trained service animals to be able to be brought onto a cruise and provide needed assistance to their owners.  Without these trained service animals, many people would be unable to cruise.  

The Paws dogs are so well trained!  There is a facility around here, so I see the dogs out and about being trained.  Even the puppies are well behaved. THEY are what I think of, when I think about true service dogs 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Well said!

Thank you. 

M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

The Paws dogs are so well trained!  There is a facility around here, so I see the dogs out and about being trained.  Even the puppies are well behaved. THEY are what I think of, when I think about true service dogs 🙂

The epitome of trained service animals and just think what they are allowing their owners to do that they couldn't have.