Gratuities Increase!!!!

shof515

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I read the previous response as applying to the tips.

This was my next post.

6 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

Out of context might be the wrong term.  Off topic and irrelevant are probably better terms.  This thread is about gratuities not the fare.

Carnival has posted the breakdown of the gratuity on their website since at least November 2015.  They update it with each increase, but they probably won't until December 1st.  I wanted to know what it was.  My question was answered long before sfaaa's snarky reply.  His comment was rude and unnecessary.

Edited by Tiger0613

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So, now that you know, does it alter your view on tipping?

My view didn't need to be changed.  I never once said, suggested, or implied that I was opposed to tipping.  I simply wanted to know the breakdown.

Wanting that information doesn't automatically mean someone hates it.  Some people like to stay informed.

I shouldn't have to say this.  I shouldn't have to defend myself at all.  I never remove gratuities.  With the exception of one cabin steward, I always tip extra.

2 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

My view didn't need to be changed.  I never once said, suggested, or implied that I was opposed to tipping.  I simply wanted to know the breakdown.

Wanting that information doesn't automatically mean someone hates it.  Some people like to stay informed.

I shouldn't have to say this.  I shouldn't have to defend myself at all.  I never remove gratuities.  With the exception of one cabin steward, I always tip extra.

I agree.  Though I am not opposed to the increase, I still want to know how the gratuities are divided among the staff.  

It concerns me when people say they don't feel they should pay the dining staff because they don't eat in the MDR.

It would also concern me to pay the full amount suggested for cabin stewards if ever once a day service became the standard.  

So of course it's important to be informed.

Happy sailing.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, katscrapfever said:

aren't the gratuities automatically charged to your sail and sign card?  i prefer to tip in person as we've done in the past.  it should be optional instead of automatic, in my opinion.  we do tip generously. don't get me wrong, we know the help works hard and diligently.  but we've requested the gratuities be taken  'off' the credit card so that 'we' control whom and what is given.  

breakdown.thumb.jpg.efb4c829abf31d85b74040b4b69b54b5.jpg

Did you just type "the help".  Wow. SMH.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:25 PM, Moviela said:

I have no quibble with an 8% increase in suggested tip for a regular room, but I am wondering what, if any, the crew are receiving in their pay. I just don't want to see the company protect their budget by simply increasing the gratuity paid by passengers. 

The prepaid gratuities go to the crew.  If Carnival were to bill them as gratuities and not give 100% to the crew as stated, they would if caught have to either refund the money collected and/or give it to the crew effected. Plus a potential fine up to the amount collected.  So lets see $12.95 times 3500 passangers on just one ship for one cruise would be roughly $45,000.  Or somewhere in the neighborhood of $47,000,000 fleet way per year. I don't see Carnival or any company taking that kind of risk.  

8 hours ago, skridge said:

Did you just type "the help".  Wow. SMH.

That's how we used to be referred to in the hospitality industry although it may have fallen out of practice (I have been out of the industry for several decades now). I've always heard it used synonymously with "the staff". 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, katscrapfever said:

aren't the gratuities automatically charged to your sail and sign card?  i prefer to tip in person as we've done in the past.  it should be optional instead of automatic, in my opinion.  we do tip generously. don't get me wrong, we know the help works hard and diligently.  but we've requested the gratuities be taken  'off' the credit card so that 'we' control whom and what is given.  

breakdown.thumb.jpg.efb4c829abf31d85b74040b4b69b54b5.jpg

I find the auto-gratuities convenient compared to trying to find each person to tip.  We can easily give an extra tip to our steward, but we often have different wait staff since we don't use traditional dining - I'm still not completely sure who alternative services covers.  Mentally it's easier for me to prepay the gratuity and only tip extra if inclined rather than track down staff to give $30 or more to housekeeping, $50 to dining, and $20 to alternative (if I even knew who to give it to) at the end of the cruise - and that's just the suggested amounts, not even tipping generously.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:04 PM, katscrapfever said:

thank you for your opinion.  we don't attend the shows.  we don't drink, therefore we don't use the bartenders.  we don't use room service to deliver food.   it isn't about what is 'affordable'.  it's about what our interests are and the services we use. why should my gratuities be divided among people working 'behind the scenes,' as you say when they have nothing to do with the services we require?  when you go to a restaurant, do you visit the kitchen and tip the cook?  the dishwasher? the baker?  kudos if you do!  do you tip the captain of the ship for your safe passage?  i do tip my maitr'd, i do tip my waiters, i do tip my cabin help, all of them!  i ordered water delivered to our cabin online and a tip was included.  don't assume because i don't want to include gratuities on my sail and sign card that i'm being selfish.  on the contrary.  it isn't up to anyone but me to decide where my money goes.  7 out of 8 cruises i've been on, my sail & sign card was used for nothing more than a key to my cabin.  quite presumptuous to assume i cannot afford to cruise if i cannot afford the gratuities.  what does 'not wanting gratuities' on my S&S have anything to do with what can be afforded and who i tip?

Most hibachi style restaurants we've been to state the tip is split with the chef, so while I didn't visit the kitchen I did tip the cook. Many areas the wait staff does share tips with bussing staff and bar services so lumping all staff together doesn't bother me.  I've never considered tipping the hostess or maitr'd - I thought they were a different pay model.

I've seen many restaurants impose a mandatory gratuity on parties over 8, so I guess that's part of why the gratuities on a ship don't bother me.

Not to get too political, but for how invested we seem to get over the relatively small amount we are charged for gratuities do we get as focused about how our tax dollars are being distributed?  Maybe we're majoring on the minor.

On October 21, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Tiger0613 said:

I asked a question, and was curious as to your answer.  There is nothing to defend.  Question asked and answered.

1 hour ago, The7Harrisons said:

YAY!!!! maybe if they would raise it even more, I wont feel the need to give cash also, oh wait, Im not a tite wad, I will still give extra cash!!!!

I don't give extra cash because I think the tips are too low, I give extra cash because they've done something to deserve it above and beyond.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 8:19 AM, jimgpayne said:

As long as they are gratuities; they can never be mandatory. By their very definition, they are optional. If they make them mandatory, then they will have to classify them as some kind of housekeeping fee. Which then means that Carnival must declare them as income and pay taxes on them. Right now, as gratuities, Carnival doesn't pay taxes on them - only the receiver does (or may, depending on the tax jurisdiction).

Due respect, but that does not make any sense.  If they make them mandatory they may have to count that as income, but they would get an offsetting deduction when they pay them out.  So no tax effect on the cruiseline.  There IS an effect on crew members from some countries, e.g., the Philipines, because they tax wages but not gratuities.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:57 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Can they call it “Service Charges” rather than gratuities, and make it mandatory?

Sure.  And then the crew members from some countries would be screwed because they don't currently have to pay tax on the portion that is gratuities, but after your proposed change they would have to pay tax on their whole income.

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Due respect, but that does not make any sense.  If they make them mandatory they may have to count that as income, but they would get an offsetting deduction when they pay them out.  So no tax effect on the cruiseline.  There IS an effect on crew members from some countries, e.g., the Philipines, because they tax wages but not gratuities.

They may not have withholding from gratuities but I would be very surprised that any government would allow that kind of tax money to just walk away.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They may not have withholding from gratuities but I would be very surprised that any government would allow that kind of tax money to just walk away.

And yet:

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2011/12/philippines-income-tax.html

Are there any areas of income that are exempt from taxation in the Philippines? If so, please provide a general definition of these areas.

Gross income subject to tax does not include the following:

• statutory minimum wage
  • damages received by an employee or his/her heirs following a judgment or agreement arising out of or related to an employer-employee relationship
  • proceeds of life insurance policies
  • gifts, bequests, and devises
  • compensation for injuries or sickness
  • retirement benefits, pensions, and gratuities
  • interest on tax-exempt government securities
  • thirteenth-month pay and other benefits such as productivity incentives and Christmas bonus subject to the PHP 90,000 limit
  • certain other items specifically provided as not taxable including the following:
    1. amount received by the insured as return of premium
    2. income exempt from treaty
    3. certain prizes and awards exempted by law
    4. certain prizes and awards in sports competition
    5. GSIS, SSS, Medicare, and other contribution
    6. gain from sale of bonds, debentures, or other certificate of indebtedness with a maturity of more than five years
    7. gains from redemption of shares in mutual fund
    8. interest income from long-term deposits or investment in the form of savings, common or individual trust funds, deposit substitutes, investment management accounts, and other investments
    9. income of non-residents from transactions with offshore banking units and depository banks under the expanded foreign currency depository system.

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And yet:

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2011/12/philippines-income-tax.html

Are there any areas of income that are exempt from taxation in the Philippines? If so, please provide a general definition of these areas.

Gross income subject to tax does not include the following:

• statutory minimum wage
  • damages received by an employee or his/her heirs following a judgment or agreement arising out of or related to an employer-employee relationship
  • proceeds of life insurance policies
  • gifts, bequests, and devises
  • compensation for injuries or sickness
  • retirement benefits, pensions, and gratuities
  • interest on tax-exempt government securities
  • thirteenth-month pay and other benefits such as productivity incentives and Christmas bonus subject to the PHP 90,000 limit
  • certain other items specifically provided as not taxable including the following:
    1. amount received by the insured as return of premium
    2. income exempt from treaty
    3. certain prizes and awards exempted by law
    4. certain prizes and awards in sports competition
    5. GSIS, SSS, Medicare, and other contribution
    6. gain from sale of bonds, debentures, or other certificate of indebtedness with a maturity of more than five years
    7. gains from redemption of shares in mutual fund
    8. interest income from long-term deposits or investment in the form of savings, common or individual trust funds, deposit substitutes, investment management accounts, and other investments
    9. income of non-residents from transactions with offshore banking units and depository banks under the expanded foreign currency depository system.

Then color me surprised.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:34 PM, bury me at sea said:

I agree.  Though I am not opposed to the increase, I still want to know how the gratuities are divided among the staff.  

It concerns me when people say they don't feel they should pay the dining staff because they don't eat in the MDR.

It would also concern me to pay the full amount suggested for cabin stewards if ever once a day service became the standard.  

Happy sailing.

I definitely agree with your comment about     tipping and the MDR. The tips for dining cover a lot more than just the wait staff in the MDR.  I have never had gratuities removed from my account and I never would do that. Frequently, but not always, I also give additional cash tips at the end of a cruise. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

OK, I want to pay my gratuities online before Dec. 1 for a January cruise. I have paid in full and I can see no payment options when I bring up Manage My Cruise. I can pay the fun shops for something and many places it says I can pre-pay the tips online but I have never gotten closer to actually paying than a broken link. Am I missing something or is the online tip payment not working. (Please don't suggest calling because that is not my question). TIA

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 2:34 PM, bury me at sea said:

Happy sailing.

This is a very fine point and it is only to clear up misunderstanding if there is any....I am one that has addressed not TIPPING the MDR team when I don't eat there because why should I tip for service that I don't receive. Another part of that is that I thought I remembered seeing years ago that an older model for auto-grats was broken down 6 or 7 ways, not just 3, and that MDR had their own separate line apart from buffet line servers. In my opinion those are 2 different things, though it's hard to say about how many actual people would have to split whatever the percentage is of that line item, and so this is just a quibble....and let me also be clear again that this is a VERY SMALL POINT and furthermore to be even more clear, I/we have NEVER (not 'shouting' any of this, just stressing), never reduced our auto-grats for dining, we ALWAYS tip ABOVE the auto-grats unless service is really bad.

And idk, as far as tipping the maitre'd isn't that kind of a traditional thing in upscale restaurants? Idk, that's an actual question. I don't remember if we have ever done that on a cruise ship, or noticed that anyone else does that. Would it be good to do that or would it be insulting? Lol....

Last word for me though on this gratuities increase is that it doesn't really bother me at all, and maybe we should expect it when the overall economy and job markets are in upswing and the cruise lines may have to be more competitive to retain or get good people. Just thinking out loud.