Taking food/snacks to your cabin?

Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, elliair said:

Exactly!  I never understood why people leave their dirty dishes and half-eaten food outside their door.  Do they do that at home?

Last cruise that’s what room service asked us to do.

• Like 2

I believe that many hotels with room service tell guests to put the dishes outside the door when they are done eating. The vast majority of cruisers are not aware of the difference and will leave their used dishes in the hallway. 

9 hours ago, MJSailors said:

A suggestion-

If you are carrying food from the buffet to your cabin,especially if you are taking an elevator, cover the food plate with another plate to protect the food from other people sneezing and/or coughing near you. 😳

Or making comments about what's on your plate. 

12 hours ago, Doug R. said:

I believe that many hotels with room service tell guests to put the dishes outside the door when they are done eating. The vast majority of cruisers are not aware of the difference and will leave their used dishes in the hallway. 

I’m sorry to say I’m guilty of doing the dishes in the hall a few years back on my last cruise. It never crossed my mind that it would be an issue. I’ll call down to room service from now on for sure. Have to say though I had a huge stack going in the room my cuz had been quarantine due to a cold I came back from a day out and couldn’t walk around the room. I was peeved at her over the mess. 

14 hours ago, jlp20 said:

This is a cruise ship, there is no need to stock your cabin's frig. Like you mama told you, don't take more than you can eat.

depends on the situation. Sometimes you need a small packet of milk for your kid at night, but they are only available in the morning at the buffet.

We were on the Regal a couple weeks ago and while we never had trouble bringing food back to our room from the buffet, we were scolded for bringing dessert from the IC up a floor in the Piazza.  Never had this happen before and don't know if it's a policy change or a one-off.  There was no available seating in the area directly around the IC, so we carried our dessert up a level to find an empty seat.  A server came over and said we had to 'finish our food quickly because it was forbidden to bring food from the IC to that level'.  Never heard this before, but we hurriedly ate our small plates of dessert.

That was just RUDE for any staff to confront you like that....  Wow!!!!    The IC, by nature, is a take-and-enjoy snack kind of place!!!

Also, if a passenger has actually been to the ship's clinic, and is suggested to stay in their cabin...  Full 24/7 room service,  and dish takeaway, should be provided.   If one feels bad enough that they do not feel like having to try to get out and to get food, or take care of dirty dishes...  And, it seems to be something contagious, then I might contact somebody and let them know that this is required.

Just a note....  nasty germs food laden dishes lying out in the hallway is just GROSS!!!!!...   

Not to commandeer the thread but I have to ask of those who receive hors d’ oeuvres on formal night or every night for that matter for Suite :  how many are just left there or missing the trial one?  The gesture is much appreciated but the quality leaves much to be desired.  And as they are served pre turndown service they will be removed then and so no need to place them in the corridor 

4 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on the Regal a couple weeks ago and while we never had trouble bringing food back to our room from the buffet, we were scolded for bringing dessert from the IC up a floor in the Piazza.  Never had this happen before and don't know if it's a policy change or a one-off.  There was no available seating in the area directly around the IC, so we carried our dessert up a level to find an empty seat.  A server came over and said we had to 'finish our food quickly because it was forbidden to bring food from the IC to that level'.  Never heard this before, but we hurriedly ate our small plates of dessert.

What !

So now they telling you where you can eat food obtained from the IC?

I've never heard such a thing.

There is no way I'd "eat hurriedly" because a member of the crew said I couldn't sit where you were sitting. What you were told is ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There is no way I'd "eat hurriedly" because a member of the crew said I couldn't sit where you were sitting. What you were told is ridiculous.

We were pretty fired up about it at the time!  I immediatley got on Cruise Critic to post a thread and see if this had happened to anyone else, but unfortunately, that was the week the Boards were down for the upgrade so I was unable.  I calmed down about it over the course of the cruise, and we had a great time otherwise, but it still bugs me.  We are Platinum so this was by no means our first Princess cruise and I know better!  The server was apologetic and said to my husband "I'm sorry sir, it's not my policy, it's management's".  And this was a server who 'knew' us because we had frequented his bar area all week.  He was nice about it but it still annoyed me.  I even went down to the IC to see if there was some sign about taking food away, and of course there was not.

5 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

It is not forbidden.  

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

depends on the situation. Sometimes you need a small packet of milk for your kid at night, but they are only available in the morning at the buffet.

You've missed the thread of the postings. Almost everyone takes a snack back to the cabin. I have seen pax fill full size shopping bags full of rolls, plates piled high of cheese and hand fulls of jam packets. 

We were pretty fired up about it at the time!  I immediatley got on Cruise Critic to post a thread and see if this had happened to anyone else, but unfortunately, that was the week the Boards were down for the upgrade so I was unable.  I calmed down about it over the course of the cruise, and we had a great time otherwise, but it still bugs me.  We are Platinum so this was by no means our first Princess cruise and I know better!  The server was apologetic and said to my husband "I'm sorry sir, it's not my policy, it's management's".  And this was a server who 'knew' us because we had frequented his bar area all week.  He was nice about it but it still annoyed me.  I even went down to the IC to see if there was some sign about taking food away, and of course there was not.

I wonder if it was because you took it into a "bar" area? Were you in Crooners? Because clearly you can take food from IC back to your cabin. As busy as the IC usually is, there's no way everyone that gets something from there can be expected to sit right there and eat. Heck, I've even taken a sandwich from there into the theatre to watch an afternoon movie (I wouldn't take food in there during a production show.)

5 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Yes, I am aware 🙂  Just reporting what we were told.  See  my expanded post above.

What ship was this?   I can’t imagine why they would tell you that you could not remove stuff from the IC. In our case, we had nowhere to sit while in the atrium  so we always had to remove food from the IC And take to our cabin. 

Where  exactly were you trying to consume the food that you had gotten from the IC ? 

I would’ve been pretty irritated too and Would  have asked to speak to a manager at some point during the cruise

Edited by 4cats4me

On 10/25/2018 at 5:59 PM, MJSailors said:

A suggestion-

If you are carrying food from the buffet to your cabin,especially if you are taking an elevator, cover the food plate with another plate to protect the food from other people sneezing and/or coughing near you. 😳

Someone had a GREAT idea! a046.gif 

Instead of wasting a plate, put one of those shower caps across the plate instead.  For my upcoming trip, I bought a pack of 15 clear shower caps @ the dollar store.