Bringing any Snacks Onboard

5 minutes ago, AlexanderBeetle said:

Just want to make sure, while we can bring up to 2 bottles of wine and 12 bottles of soda or water, can we bring any snacks with us at all that anyone is aware of?  Like would they balk at a handful of granola bars?

no problem

6 minutes ago, AlexanderBeetle said:

Just want to make sure, while we can bring up to 2 bottles of wine and 12 bottles of soda or water, can we bring any snacks with us at all that anyone is aware of?  Like would they balk at a handful of granola bars?

You can bring all that you list.  You just never know when they will run out of food on a cruise ship.:classic_wink:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

You can bring all that you list.  You just never know when they will run out of food on a cruise ship.:classic_wink:

I hear they only leave port with the bare minimum. 

Kidding aside, having something on hand in the cabin to chill a child is a plus for all of us. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Worth noting, when we went through the port to board our Transatlantic in Tampa, we were hassled by the security staff who refused to allow us to bring any snacks that had been 'opened' (ie a full box of Wheat Thins had to be binned because the lid had been opened). I have no idea where this rule came from but c'est la vie. We were able to board with a ton of other snacks though, fortunately!

Snacks aren't just for kids -- we adults like to munch on light nibbles occasionally too, particularly on a 14 night TA with only 2 ports of call!!

4 hours ago, londongal796 said:

Worth noting, when we went through the port to board our Transatlantic in Tampa, we were hassled by the security staff who refused to allow us to bring any snacks that had been 'opened' (ie a full box of Wheat Thins had to be binned because the lid had been opened). I have no idea where this rule came from but c'est la vie. We were able to board with a ton of other snacks though, fortunately!

Snacks aren't just for kids -- we adults like to munch on light nibbles occasionally too, particularly on a 14 night TA with only 2 ports of call!!

Was this just this past spring? (The two ports of call gave  it away - Azures and Cork?)   We took the 2018 TA from Tampa and brought on some  opened packages of pistachios and pretzels and no one said anything.  Both were in a zip lock bag in checked luggage rather than  carried on so  perhaps that was the difference.  

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Was this just this past spring? (The two ports of call gave  it away - Azures and Cork?)   We took the 2018 TA from Tampa and brought on some  opened packages of pistachios and pretzels and no one said anything.  Both were in a zip lock bag in checked luggage rather than  carried on so  perhaps that was the difference.  

It was this spring but our ports of call were Key West and Malaga (Tampa to Barcelona). I don't know why they stopped us, I almost felt like the security staff member was being deliberately difficult with us but there isn't really a whole lot you can do except comply. She kept asking us why we needed snacks when the cruise ship has tons of food -- and I'm thinking, have you ever actually cruised? There are literally NO snacks at all on board, unless you want to pay $5 for a mini-tube of Pringles on the onboard store! (Yes, there are mini-sandwiches and cookies but no proper junk food snacks!) 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, joelheather said:

I believe that as long as the food is factory sealed, non perishable your fine.  I bring my cliff bars for after workout snacks, and my drink base powder (individually packaged) no problem with those.

Agree. Also unopened packages as others said would be wise as others suggested. 

43 minutes ago, londongal796 said:

It was this spring but our ports of call were Key West and Malaga (Tampa to Barcelona). I don't know why they stopped us, I almost felt like the security staff member was being deliberately difficult with us but there isn't really a whole lot you can do except comply. She kept asking us why we needed snacks when the cruise ship has tons of food -- and I'm thinking, have you ever actually cruised? There are literally NO snacks at all on board, unless you want to pay $5 for a mini-tube of Pringles on the onboard store! (Yes, there are mini-sandwiches and cookies but no proper junk food snacks!) 

Thanks for clarifying the sailing.  We had two ports ( out of four) cancelled became of high winds and rough seas  We missed Dublin and Waterford. 

Had a great cruise.  Can't wait to take another TA.   

M

I had to laugh when I read this post, DW and I were just talking with friends regarding this.  We stated that we are probably the only people that bring snacks on board a cruise ship ( they agreed). We normally do not eat desserts but will bring a bag a Dove Chocolate or M&M’s to satisfy a craving, also something salty like pretzels or trail mix that we bring to the pool or on an excursion.  We never had an issue bringing food on board. 

Chris

23 minutes ago, Batch5 said:

I had to laugh when I read this post, DW and I were just talking with friends regarding this.  We stated that we are probably the only people that bring snacks on board a cruise ship ( they agreed). We normally do not eat desserts but will bring a bag a Dove Chocolate or M&M’s to satisfy a craving, also something salty like pretzels or trail mix that we bring to the pool or on an excursion.  We never had an issue bringing food on board. 

Chris

I bring bags of chocolates (especially individual sized (or halloween treat sized)).   I eat a few, but offer them to the cabin steward and others as a "tip".   I have found that they just love getting chocolates.

On another note, I have never had any issues bringing opened snacks onboard, just do not bring them ashore.  Many countries consider it to be illegal to do so and will confiscate them and/or fine you for attempting to do so.

Steve

35 minutes ago, Batch5 said:

Chris

10 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

I bring bags of chocolates (especially individual sized (or halloween treat sized)).   I eat a few, but offer them to the cabin steward and others as a "tip".   I have found that they just love getting chocolates.

On another note, I have never had any issues bringing opened snacks onboard, just do not bring them ashore.  Many countries consider it to be illegal to do so and will confiscate them and/or fine you for attempting to do so.

Steve

36 minutes ago, Batch5 said:

Chris

I like to bring chocs too! Does anyone know if there are any "pro-biotic" drinks available at breakfast or anywhere...the ones with all the good bugs in that help digestion etc. Or could I bring my own...but they are liquid & I realise that can be a security issue.

48 minutes ago, firstcarib said:

I like to bring chocs too! Does anyone know if there are any "pro-biotic" drinks available at breakfast or anywhere...the ones with all the good bugs in that help digestion etc. Or could I bring my own...but they are liquid & I realise that can be a security issue.

They definitely have yogurt at breakfast. Does it have to be in a drink?

10 minutes ago, gerif said:

They definitely have yogurt at breakfast. Does it have to be in a drink?

Thanks gerif, it needs to be a probiotic, either as a food or drink. I’ve had “yogurt” on board before & it’s commercial stuff full of sugar & additives-not the pro-biotic good stuff that has heaps of natural good bugs in it. Kefir is a fermented culture that you can drink like a yogurt drink. It tastes pleasant & puts back all the good bugs your insides need if you’ve been taking antibiotics or been ill with anything digestive related.

In the UK we can get little bottles of “yakult” which do a similar job.  

16 hours ago, AlexanderBeetle said:

Just want to make sure, while we can bring up to 2 bottles of wine and 12 bottles of soda or water...

I know that wasn't really your question, but FYI: You can bring two bottles of wine PER ROOM. Bringing your own soda or water is not allowed according to RC policy, but generally not enforced... Just in case they decide they are enforcing the rules on your cruise. No need to discuss this further here as you'll find lots of threads about that already.

As for the snacks, bringing them on the ship has never been a problem for us, the concern can be about what you are taking off the ship with you when you are visiting other ports. AFAIK, packaged snacks are usually not a problem, but just read the notes in the Cruise compass and/or listen to the announcements.

2 hours ago, firstcarib said:

For breakfast and lunch my husband only drinks protein shakes (Premier Protein). I sent special needs an email, and they approved me to bring three cases onboard. I just wanted to make sure it was alright so they wouldn't get confiscated.

26 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

I know that wasn't really your question, but FYI: You can bring two bottles of wine PER ROOM. Bringing your own soda or water is not allowed according to RC policy, but generally not enforced... Just in case they decide they are enforcing the rules on your cruise. No need to discuss this further here as you'll find lots of threads about that already.

As for the snacks, bringing them on the ship has never been a problem for us, the concern can be about what you are taking off the ship with you when you are visiting other ports. AFAIK, packaged snacks are usually not a problem, but just read the notes in the Cruise compass and/or listen to the announcements.

Just a FYI... RCI changed their policy on Sept 1st, you can now bring 2 bottles of wine (up to 750 ml each) and 12 cans/bottles of water/soft drinks up to 1/2 liter (17oz or so) each.   This is per cabin, not per passenger.    

These items must be in carry-ons, if you give them to a porter they will not take them.  If you have them packed in a suitcase you will, most likely, be called to the "naughty" room.

Steve

Edited by stevea36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1