Shower on the Journey

tomjn111

We are considering a cruise on the Journey in March 2019. Many reviews mention that the showers in the verandah are very small. The reason I am asking is that my wife has some mobility issues and while not wheel chair bound might have some difficulty in a cramped space. Trying to decide if this would be a reason to not consider this cruise.

The showers in inside, ocean view and verandah cabins are all the same size - quite small, but my husband is 6ft & not skinny and he manages OK. I’m over 5ft 9 inches and manage OK too. It is easy to get in and out of. Although there is a bit of a lip ( enough to stop the water flooding the rest of the bathroom) it’s not as high a lip as many showers with glass doors.  The worst thing is that they have a shower curtain, rather than a glass door, but on the plus side you don’t bang your elbows on it!

On 10/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, tomjn111 said:

We are considering a cruise on the Journey in March 2019. Many reviews mention that the showers in the verandah are very small. The reason I am asking is that my wife has some mobility issues and while not wheel chair bound might have some difficulty in a cramped space. Trying to decide if this would be a reason to not consider this cruise.

We have cabins that fill that need. Just ask your agent  about them. The over all bathroom very tiny

A few years ago we were allocated an inside accessible cabin (4034 I recall), as that was all that was available, and the shower was so huge that it could have taken about 6 folk easily. It did, of course, have grab handles etc. The room was very large too. It didn't have a sofa, just a comfortable armchair, as well as the dressing table chair.

:classic_biggrin: Lynne 

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2018 at 11:15 AM, tomjn111 said:

On 10/29/2018 at 12:45 PM, SkystheLimit said:

Thank you Phil for the photo of the shower.  

Has anyone measured the shower in inches?  Is it possible to attach magnets to the shower curtain and the outside walls so that it does not cling  to the person showering?

Just wondering if anyone has measured the dimensions of the shower or can guestimate the size.  Also is it possible to attach the shower curtain to the outside with magnets so it doesn't cling to the person showering.

1 hour ago, CHYMN said:

Has anyone measured the shower in inches?  Is it possible to attach magnets to the shower curtain and the outside walls so that it does not cling  to the person showering?

I cannot answer the questions you pose but, for sure, it IS more than possible without too much trouble to shower without the curtain clinging! We read so much about this 'problem' prior to sailing in an inside cabin on Journey (#7002) last month. Now, having experienced the shower, we wonder what on earth the hullabaloo is about....honestly!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I cannot answer the questions you pose but, for sure, it IS more than possible without too much trouble to shower without the curtain clinging! We read so much about this 'problem' prior to sailing in an inside cabin on Journey (#7002) last month. Now, having experienced the shower, we wonder what on earth the hullabaloo is about....honestly!! 

As with many other things in life, size matters.

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

Exactly right,  hamrag.  The shower--and curtain--are non-issues.  Really.  I've taken hundreds of showers in these staterooms.  Never had a problem.

• Like 2

I’ve used magnets,  more to keep the floor dry than because of the shower curtain. I don’t find it a problem. It’s a small shower, but if mobility problems can be dealt with, it should be perfectly adequate. 

Hope you’re able to get all the info you need to say yes to an Azamara cruise. 

M.

17 hours ago, Melissaghoti said:

I’ve used magnets,  more to keep the floor dry than because of the shower curtain. I don’t find it a problem. It’s a small shower, but if mobility problems can be dealt with, it should be perfectly adequate. 

Hope you’re able to get all the info you need to say yes to an Azamara cruise. 

M.

We've used clothespins weighted with fishing weights.  Curious about the magnets.  Are the shower walls metal?

You could collect and use the rather nice Azamara fridge magnets with the clip on them.  They are fairly heavy, and would clip on and weight the shower curtain down even if the wall or the rim of the shower is not metal. (And I know the actual top of the shower lip has a wide metal cap on it.  It extends part-way down the front edge.  Maybe it does in the back as well?)

In 11 cruises we’ve never had a problem with the curtain being friendly, and I’m not sure why.  Maybe it has to do with the way a person aims the shower?

Edited by lisiamc

26 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

All the walls in the stateroom are metal.

We knew about the stateroom walls.  We pin (magnetic post pins) mini posters of each port name on the walls.  Helps decorate the cabin and when in that port we take a picture of that mini poster.  That helps keeps the photos in order.  But wasn't sure of the shower walls.

Edited by geospyder

44 minutes ago, geospyder said:

We knew about the stateroom walls.  We pin (magnetic post pins) mini posters of each port name on the walls.  Helps decorate the cabin and when in that port we take a picture of that mini poster.  That helps keeps the photos in order.  But wasn't sure of the shower walls.

I think all walls are metal, stateroom & bathroom.

• Thanks 1