Bliss in the Canal Today

need2cruisesoon

So cool! I've been watching the webcam stills all morning. She's about  to enter the Gatun Locks (I think?) and then off to the Atlantic she goes! 

Is that a coffee station on the bow? If so, how lovely!

Can't wait to board her in Miami on the 24th. Thanks for these beautiful photos!

Edited by CincyJen

Just wanted to add this webcam snap just moments ago of Bliss in what I think are the Agua Clara Locks, adjacent to the Gatun Locks. A Panama Canal transit is a dream to me so I'm kind of fascinated! 

Screenshot_2018-11-13-14-37-51-1-1.png

Edited by CincyJen

22 minutes ago, CincyJen said:

Just wanted to add this webcam snap just moments ago of Bliss in what I think are the Agua Clara Locks, adjacent to the Gatun Locks. A Panama Canal transit is a dream to me so I'm kind of fascinated! 

Screenshot_2018-11-13-14-37-51-1-1.png

I know in the gatun locks you can literally see the wall chambers very close up on the side of the ship when the water level is lowered it is like you almost touch the walls, not sure about the big ships and the Agua Clara Locks

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I know in the gatun locks you can literally see the wall chambers very close up on the side of the ship when the water level is lowered it is like you almost touch the walls, not sure about the big ships and the Agua Clara Locks

I honestly don't know, so thank you, I was hoping someone could tell me which lock that is! 🙂

23 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Has anyone said what it cost to transit The Canal today?

approx $150 per person, a lot of great cruise deals going through the canal but port charges and canal taxes are pretty steep for some central/south america destinations just kills the margin of bargaining cruising and not worth it if you already seen the canal once.  example there is a 15 day cruise on holland on dec 3, taxes and fees equal $450, that does not include service charges

Edited by Newleno

8 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

What I was really asking is what was the total cost Norwegian paid today for The Bliss to transit The Canal.  Last Spring it was a little over One Million Dollars.  Wondered what the price was today.

$148 per berth. 

Not entirely sure what constitutes a berth in this context, does it include the empty 3rd and 4th found in many cabins, does it include crew?

https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tariff/1010-0000-Rev20180802.pdf

1 hour ago, bonvoyagie said:

will be doing this on the Gem in Jan 2020 - thanks for the preview.

Just don't expect the Gem to transit through the new locks that you see the Bliss  using. Since the Gem is a "Panamax" ship she can use the old locks. The operation of the old and new locks are quite different. For example in the old locks ships are guided by "mules", which are locomotives that run on tracks on the sides of the locks, while in the new locks ships are guided by tugboats that are in the water with the ship.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Just don't expect the Gem to transit through the new locks that you see the Bliss  using. Since the Gem is a "Panamax" ship she can use the old locks. The operation of the old and new locks are quite different. For example in the old locks ships are guided by "mules", which are locomotives that run on tracks on the sides of the locks, while in the new locks ships are guided by tugboats that are in the water with the ship.

Thank you, I am hoping to go through the old locks.