Will Dynamic Dining Make a Comeback

nelblu

11 minutes ago, poncho1973 said:

Just to be clear, because he's trying to get into the MDR in shorts, not because of him being in or not in shape.

Duh, I was looking at the wrong picture.  **embarrassed face**

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, TeeRick said:

There was a very popular thread here a couple of years ago when the canceled DD on Anthem. We were booked on the very first Anthem cruise without DD.  The gist of it was that Whiners ruined DD.  Let's see if some of those same Whiners will sail on Edge and come back out in force!  Hopefully not.  We sail on Edge Jan 20th.

It's the same whiners that complained vociferously about  Quantum not having a Royal Promenade.

Edited by nelblu

On 11/19/2018 at 11:23 AM, Biker19 said:

A bit of that is happening on Quantum and probably will on Spectrum as well.

DD, was really only on one ship at a time, it was still killed off.

Biker, who thinks MTD will morph into what DD was supposed to be and traditional will become a minority.

I believe that traditional will no longer exist at all within a few short years. Not because of some new dining concept but rather a very old land concept, restaurant ala-carte $$ style dining. It is clearly trending to that. Not only specialty extra restaurants but already specialty meal for additional fee in MDR. Even additional cost in specialty restaurants. It is practically there now! The day fo included complimentary dining is on short list to be way of the past. Doubt that? Come on, they charge for POPCORN at movie. Charging for baggage handling close as well. So many thing for then to add $$ for, a smorgasbord for bean counters.

George in NY

1 minute ago, Georgeny said:

It is practically there now! The day of included complimentary dining is on short list to be way of the past. Doubt that? Come on, they charge for POPCORN at movie.

OTOH, Virgin will have no fees for any of their venues and they'll have no MDR nor a buffet.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

DD was a bad concept from the start.  I'm glad they killed it before they tried it on Oasis.

I kind a agree that RCI will shelve it too

On Spectrum OTS they have gone back to MDR for a reason.

Most complementary restaurant have a similar menu, especially on the Quantum class.

With the Chinese market they don't frequent specialty dinning at all, only suite guest and westerners do. So just having two dining areas  (MDR & Windjammer is both a space saver and more economical.)

Spectrum will have 2 more Asia inspired restaurant (specialty Restaurants) which will be awesome for westerner who love their food, as they as from different Chinese regions.

We have experience DD and personally didn't like it.  Booking restaurant from day one then having to que for 20 -30 minutes after booking time didn't add to the experience. Next time we had it, we never booked anything and just rocked up and got tables straight away to  tables not allocated to reservations.  (go figure)

Plus with MDR I like to get to know the waiters and make their life part of our experience. 

Most waiters prefer MDR for the same reason.

6 hours ago, Banana Benders said:

We have experience DD and personally didn't like it.  Booking restaurant from day one then having to que for 20 -30 minutes after booking time didn't add to the experience. Next time we had it, we never booked anything and just rocked up and got tables straight away to  tables not allocated to reservations.  (go figure)

Plus with MDR I like to get to know the waiters and make their life part of our experience. 

Most waiters prefer MDR for the same reason.

I'm not sure which version you experienced.  You must have had MTD as I never had to wait with the traditional DD.  I simply walked to my assigned table/restaurant without any Maitre 's help. 

Also, to your second point, the revised edition of DD, you rotated with your waiters and table mates to each of the 4 restaurants.  Therefore, the waiters were part of your life for at least 7+nights.:classic_biggrin:

12 hours ago, nelblu said:

I'm not sure which version you experienced.  You must have had MTD as I never had to wait with the traditional DD.  I simply walked to my assigned table/restaurant without any Maitre 's help. 

Also, to your second point, the revised edition of DD, you rotated with your waiters and table mates to each of the 4 restaurants.  Therefore, the waiters were part of your life for at least 7+nights.:classic_biggrin:

No that wasn't our experience for DD

You dined with you same guest, but all waiters were different.

I suppose it depends on what ship your on too. Some do it better then others

11 hours ago, Banana Benders said:

No that wasn't our experience for DD

You dined with you same guest, but all waiters were different.

I suppose it depends on what ship your on too. Some do it better then others

Your experience is the original DD concept that I experienced on Quantum.  After much outcry, DD was revised to rotate wait staff to follow diners. 

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

Just like back when this whole DD was announced there were those who wanted it and those who didn't. Then when it came to be there were those who liked it and those who didn't. 

It seems like those who throw the term "WHINERS" around are today, as back in the past, the same who are in favor of DD and are upset it has been morphed and changed from what it was initially.  

Both sides have people with opinions and both have valid points, so are they all whiners???

Some like an MDR with tablecloths and other don't. Which side are the whiners???

No matter what hundreds or thousands of responses may be on this or any other board the decision as to what dining system is eventuallyt put in place and kept in place depends on how it works out both on the ships and on the balance sheets. 

Whiners, whiners, whiners, whiners.... Yup, on which side of the issue???

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am following all Edge reviews with interest... and to date there has been no negative feedback about their version of Dynamic dining.

Even with Set dining times you can dine in any of the 4. 

The menus are the same with a few speciality dishes as per restaurant theme.  The Cyprus one seems to get the biggest praise.

Here’s hoping.....

Edited by little britain

I have this great idea, it's called traditional dining, where everyone gets to enjoy sitting at the large tables with their new found dining friends and where - get this - they don't have to move around to different restaurants every night.

We NEVER, not ONCE, had the same wait staff in the different restaurants and we felt like we were part of some insipid dining experiment - which was, in fact, "Dynamic" dining. It was a real PITA.

I hope they keep traditional dining and never return to that nutty idea ever again.

Edited by johnjen

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

I have this great idea, it's called traditional dining, where everyone gets to enjoy sitting at the large tables with their new found dining friends and where - get this - they don't have to move around to different restaurants every night.

We NEVER, not ONCE, had the same wait staff in the different restaurants and we felt like we were part of some insipid dining experiment - which was, in fact, "Dynamic" dining. It was a real PITA.

I hope they keep traditional dining and never return to that nutty idea ever again.

Because they tried to appease those who wanted their 'same table same tablemates same waiter' they introduced the concept of moving restaurant every night. This did not work.

You did not HAVE to move to a different restaurant with DD either.  

True DD is dine where you wanted to eat. If I felt like some Asian food I went to the Asian themed restaurant. Simples.

True DD appears to be working well on Edge.

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, little britain said:

You did not HAVE to move to a different restaurant with DD either.  

True, that is if you wanted to choose from the same exact menu every day.  It would tend to get boring on a 12 - 14 day cruise. 

24 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

True, that is if you wanted to choose from the same exact menu every day.  It would tend to get boring on a 12 - 14 day cruise. 

True; but at least you had the option.  From what I recall of the menus in the various restaurants there was more than enough variety and choice that you could eat in each one several times and not repeat.

Or, if there was something you loved you could go back and have it again (and again!).  

• Like 1