Jump to content

Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!


Recommended Posts

Just now, rosewood jo said:

anyone upgrade since they have purchased their original cabin?   has anybody upgraded to a better cabin for a low upgrade cost???

I did.   I was able to go from an Ocean View to a Sunset Veranda a few weeks ago for the April transatlantic for very little money.   I'm part of the group from the big NH cruise agency.

 

Joe

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

From what I can see Edge does rotate the 14 menus (plus the addition of the 20% unique items to each dining room.  Would really recommend you download the Celebrity App and read the menus.   The App currently has menus loaded until middle of February. 

 

I was just checking and it appears they are repeating the same 7 day menu on the 7 day cruises.   Maybe someone on a B2B could confirm.    At least the app will give you an idea of what to expect.   Looks like lots of beef selections. 

We are cruising Jan 27th in AQ class..but my tablet is too old for the app...Could someone give  a sampling of what to expect in BLU...esp  first chic night  

 

Asking alot, but just a sampling would be appreciated   ..We have been in BLU for yrs but heard there are a few new items since our last cruise..

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I didn't attend the CC breakfast so am not sure about what is available. Yes, it was in Tuscan Restaurant on our cruise.

 

The way I look at the MDR menus is as follows:

All 4 restaurants have the same 14 day rotation of menus like they always have (Celebrity Signature 14 day menu). All four restaurants have the every day favorites (Classics) - the same every day in all four restaurants-  the same as usual. So, just the same as always, except you get an additional 6 items specific to each restaurant that don't change (Exclusives). So, we all  get the same choices as usual, though get an additional 24 items to choose from if you eat in all 4 MDRs (6 new regional items in each of 4 MDRs). I had dinner in Cyprus and it was like dining in a specialty - the food, service and ambiance were excellent

 

So far, there have only been 2 and 3 night cruises so yes, there may have been some repeats? I know I was on 3 of those and there were repeats in Luminae, but they were different cruises so I didn't count it against them. Also, the apps are not necessarily accurate at this time, so don't go by that.  Now that we have our first 7 night cruise underway, we will see for sure if they cycle through 7 different menus for dinner (Celebrity Signature 14 day menu that is the same in all MDRs). I am quite sure that if they want to stay in business, they will do so!🙂

 

VT, thank you for your comment - I know all that, in terms of how it SUPPOSED to rotate, of the regional items/signature items, of the app beta version and so on - I was asking someone in the current first full length commercial cruise about the rotation... your thread here is very popular 🙂 and I hope that someone onboard would see my comment and clarify.

I will be there in early January, and many things that were unclear from the inception are understood now thanks to you and others. These two my inquiries, albeit not vital, are essential to me in order to prepare my wallet in case that there is no rotation and I need to hit the specialty joints...

As to your confidence about X staying in business, I have no doubt they will, but competition is catching up, and so far all I see is not entirely a full slam dunk on the account of Edge, it's hit or miss overall - from external/internal design to entertainment to  layout to the use of space etc. Personally, I am going anyway, and I feel excited, regardless of the misses... 90% of us are enjoying cruising no matter what, and even if something is out of line, it will not spoil my homecoming and joy of vacation 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

From what I can see Edge does rotate the 14 menus (plus the addition of the 20% unique items to each dining room.  Would really recommend you download the Celebrity App and read the menus.   The App currently has menus loaded until middle of February. 

 

I was just checking and it appears they are repeating the same 7 day menu on the 7 day cruises.   Maybe someone on a B2B could confirm.    At least the app will give you an idea of what to expect.   Looks like lots of beef selections. 

Thanks, Jim - however, I installed app a few weeks back and for my Jan cruise it shows the same menu for every dinner (still)... must be a glitch - I actually can't go past Day 2 of my cruise in menus. Weird. 

But thanks 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

Thanks, Jim - however, I installed app a few weeks back and for my Jan cruise it shows the same menu for every dinner (still)... must be a glitch - I actually can't go past Day 2 of my cruise in menus. Weird. 

But thanks 🙂

 

Mine is the same. I can't get past day 2 for my Jan cruise.  🙂

 

I could be wrong, but I thought X usually did the 7 nights and kept repeating, unless it is more than a 7 night cruise (as opposed to running through the 14 days over 2 different cruises). That is what I've experienced anyway. I've only made it through the second part of the rotation when on cruises 14 nights or greater so have rarely had that part of the menu. I have seen them mix it up sometimes and throw in a later menu (maybe ran out of something).

 

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

VT, thank you for your comment - I know all that, in terms of how it SUPPOSED to rotate, of the regional items/signature items, of the app beta version and so on - I was asking someone in the current first full length commercial cruise about the rotation... your thread here is very popular 🙂 and I hope that someone onboard would see my comment and clarify.

I will be there in early January, and many things that were unclear from the inception are understood now thanks to you and others. These two my inquiries, albeit not vital, are essential to me in order to prepare my wallet in case that there is no rotation and I need to hit the specialty joints...

As to your confidence about X staying in business, I have no doubt they will, but competition is catching up, and so far all I see is not entirely a full slam dunk on the account of Edge, it's hit or miss overall - from external/internal design to entertainment to  layout to the use of space etc. Personally, I am going anyway, and I feel excited, regardless of the misses... 90% of us are enjoying cruising no matter what, and even if something is out of line, it will not spoil my homecoming and joy of vacation 🙂 

Sorry, I misunderstood. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hcat said:

We are cruising Jan 27th in AQ class..but my tablet is too old for the app...Could someone give  a sampling of what to expect in BLU...esp  first chic night  

 

Asking alot, but just a sampling would be appreciated   ..We have been in BLU for yrs but heard there are a few new items since our last cruise..

I only have two nights worth, but this is what I have - these could be the old menus.

 

image.png.f93dbd5fad13dade386443ea96d8716c.png

image.png.4a41b41afc5472c041d1cd5a48e29176.png

image.png.0413dd96fde68edd2a6c15b11cb92026.png

 

image.png.2a449aee830925aaf9e88bf34b77e635.png

 

image.png.aa5fbc8805eeb48d6ddc1d4e43841f78.png

 

 

 

image.png.13f63c4865b0038cb6e90ec00fb5f721.png

 

image.png.92c8aa6fc4c047cf3af87c87c9fadddd.png

 

Edited by vtcruising
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I only have two nights worth, but this is what I have - these could be the old menus.

 

Funny and strange, but I have only a few overlapping entrees/appetizers in my "stuck-on-two-days" menu :classic_laugh:

Not matching and not entirely different. Really odd.

Beta version in full bloom!

(I mean, I am sure they will rotate, it will be silly for X to hope that people will sail for 7 days and dine from the limited menu - I do get your point about 4 different dining venues, however, for those who have fixed seating, such arrangement would really kill the buzz... I may be OK with NY strip steak nightly, but c'mon 🙂 )

Interestingly, the length of 7 day vs 14 day rotation menu is a choice of cruise line. I can't recall precisely but I think Oceania at some point had 10 days rotation, or 14, but not 7 for sure. My longest cruise with O was 39 days HK to Athens 10 years back, and it was great to have a re-run of your favorite entrees 2-3 times over that stretch.

And you are right, sometimes they shorten/skip the rotation if they run out of supplies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

Interestingly, the length of 7 day vs 14 day rotation menu is a choice of cruise line. I can't recall precisely but I think Oceania at some point had 10 days rotation, or 14, but not 7 for sure. My longest cruise with O was 39 days HK to Athens 10 years back, and it was great to have a re-run of your favorite entrees 2-3 times over that stretch.

 

I have read reviews where people complained about repeats after 14 days!  Different strokes...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Aren’t there lines that offer cabins for singles?

Yes, both NCL and Royal offer solo cabins on their newer built ships.  The Bliss even has virtual windows in their's that they stole from Royal who I believe was the first to offer it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Aren’t there lines that offer cabins for singles?

 

Some cruise lines have options for solo travelers, yes. Celebrity does as well on the EDGE.

 

However, NCL is, as per my latest knowledge, the only cruise line that treats solo travelers as valued guests. For example, on the Getaway the area for solo travelers is separated by exclusive key card and located in the best interior portion of the ship. The area has its own lounge venue and very beautiful (even though tiny) staterooms..

 

But then again, you can´t compare NCL to X. And even if you wanted to, the solo staterooms on EDGE are located in a quite poor location on the ship. And I believe (not sure) the surcharge is still not really low. 

 

I do understand the economical planning behind surcharges for solo travelers, however in times where everybody shouts "I am a victim of discrimination" I like to point out that I feel the same thing for solo travelers who do not go solo because they want to but because none of their friends and relatives are into cruising or whatever got in their way that made them go on their own.

 

But as I said before, when I´m not appreciated as a guest and this concept works for a cruise line, the reality is that I cannot go undiscriminated. Have to face it and go for oldschool ways of traveling instead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, britsbest said:

Just to let you all know, it’s now policy on board for NO TRIVIA on Edge. I have confirmed this with the new CD!

 

This can’t be true?

I can't bring myself to tell my husband about this......he looks forward to trivia on every cruise!  I guess trivia is out as it doesn't bring in any revenue.  What else is there to do, besides teeth whitening, etc. 

Now I really wish we'd kept our Equinox booking.  Really like the S-class ships.  Got excited about the new ship and found  a good price on the Edge so we switched.

We have the classic package and I see all the drinks in Eden are $15 plus.  Hopefully we will be able to get some nice cocktails on our package other places around the ship?

Would be changing ships if we hadn't already purchased airline tickets for 4 people.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BridgeMates said:

I can't bring myself to tell my husband about this......he looks forward to trivia on every cruise!  I guess trivia is out as it doesn't bring in any revenue.  What else is there to do, besides teeth whitening, etc. 

Now I really wish we'd kept our Equinox booking.  Really like the S-class ships.  Got excited about the new ship and found  a good price on the Edge so we switched.

We have the classic package and I see all the drinks in Eden are $15 plus.  Hopefully we will be able to get some nice cocktails on our package other places around the ship?

Would be changing ships if we hadn't already purchased airline tickets for 4 people.

 

Since someone has shown, from the app correct or not, that Trivia is a scheduled activity, your DH will be fine.

 

As well, on the off hand chance that there are a multitude of other activities available on-board, jumping ship now over the lack of Trivia seems, to me, a bit over reactive.

 

If the pricing received for The Edge is equal to or better than The Equinox, consider it a deal, go, enjoy and try to live a few days without Trivia.. and still have fun.

 

I look forward to reading your reviews of the ship and the activities participated in or not.

 

bon voyage

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

 

Since someone has shown, from the app correct or not, that Trivia is a scheduled activity, your DH will be fine.

 

As well, on the off hand chance that there are a multitude of other activities available on-board, jumping ship now over the lack of Trivia seems, to me, a bit over reactive.

 

If the pricing received for The Edge is equal to or better than The Equinox, consider it a deal, go, enjoy and try to live a few days without Trivia.. and still have fun.

 

I look forward to reading your reviews of the ship and the activities participated in or not.

 

bon voyage

 

I thought we are all entitled to our own opinions on this board.  I am not being "over-reactive;" however, I wanted Celebrity to know that Trivia is an important part of the cruise experience and many will be disappointed if they don't have it on the new ship.

Yes, we can "live a few days without Trivia" and still enjoy our cruise (our 45th by the way).   Your patronizing comments are not very nice, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BridgeMates said:

 

I thought we are all entitled to our own opinions on this board.  I am not being "over-reactive;" however, I wanted Celebrity to know that Trivia is an important part of the cruise experience and many will be disappointed if they don't have it on the new ship.

Yes, we can "live a few days without Trivia" and still enjoy our cruise (our 45th by the way).   Your patronizing comments are not very nice, thank you.

Of course we ALL are entitled to our own opinions and I would never seek to stifle YOURS, as such I offered MY opinion on what I thought. Apparently it did not sit well with you.

 

I understand you can and do disagree with MY opinion/position on your post and it is acceptable and not offensive to me in the least.

 

I also pointed out that there was a post showing that Trivia may be available on your sailing as well, which appeared after your post.

 

I rarely patronize, to be sure, and not in this instance for sure.

 

bon voyage

Link to post
Share on other sites

WonderMan3's live review posted one of the daily's  (see below), and one of the activities was TIMEPLAY: A social & Interactive Entertainment and gaming experience like no other. Timeplay will take you thorough a series of engaging and addictive trivia and skill based games in a high energy competitive game show, Play the 5 minute teaser for free, we know you'll be hooked!

 

07DEEE1A-80C0-491E-9FDB-D6818DF1EDCE.jpe

 

So, is his replacing trivia, and at a Fee????? Or is it just something else.

 

Did anyone do this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rakes5 said:

Timeplay will take you thorough a series of engaging and addictive trivia and skill based games in a high energy competitive game show, Play the 5 minute teaser for free, we know you'll be hooked!

Hmmm, “play the 5 minute teaser for free” certainly leads me to believe there will be a fee thereafter (for this game anyway). Hopefully, there will still be a regular Trivia game as well.

Edited by Silkroad
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, marylander2 said:

Thanks, Jim - however, I installed app a few weeks back and for my Jan cruise it shows the same menu for every dinner (still)... must be a glitch - I actually can't go past Day 2 of my cruise in menus. Weird. 

But thanks 🙂

 

I have to profusely apologize.    When checking the different dates on future cruises I get the same results each day like the rest of you.    I guess they have them loaded as place holders. 

 

While they "generally" rotate the 14 day menus in sequence I have seen often that they don't.   We were on a B2B2B recently 7 day 14 day and 14 day.    They ran the 7 day menu again at the beginning of the 14 day cruise.  Also they sometimes changed the order of some of the menus.  Oh well...it's a beginning.

 

One other thing I discovered by mistake last night is that at least on an iPhone  - if you don't manually close the app it stays open and drains your battery until you manually close it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to profusely apologize.    When checking the different dates on future cruises I get the same results each day like the rest of you.    I guess they have them loaded as place holders. 

 

While they "generally" rotate the 14 day menus in sequence I have seen often that they don't.   We were on a B2B2B recently 7 day 14 day and 14 day.    They ran the 7 day menu again at the beginning of the 14 day cruise.  Also they sometimes changed the order of some of the menus.  Oh well...it's a beginning.

 

One other thing I discovered by mistake last night is that at least on an iPhone  - if you don't manually close the app it stays open and drains your battery until you manually close it.  

Good to hear that they do go 14 days sometimes - maybe depends on the number of b2b guests or a chef who gets bored. 🙂

 

Yes,  that app stays on - maybe that why I was charging my battery 2-3 times /day. I usually didn’t use it as a key but it was handy to have it when I forgot to bring my seapass. It would be nice to use it to charge eventually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...