RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Very odd. 

The cabin assignment on a GTY booking is maybe enough of a booking change to trigger that Royal Up response- I seem to recall that being reported before. You are still pretty far out for Royal Up decisions - check with others on your sailing for their status. 

28 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The cabin assignment on a GTY booking is maybe enough of a booking change to trigger that Royal Up response- I seem to recall that being reported before. You are still pretty far out for Royal Up decisions - check with others on your sailing for their status. 

that makes sense.  I don't expect to hear about status until at least 1 week prior and up to Day 2.  Have been planning this one since October 2020 with FCC from a covid cancellation.  Went from an inside GTY to a low priced balcony GTY on Cyber Monday 2021 for same price as original inside gty.  So anything I get or don't get is fine.  I unfortunately got spoiled by an aft cabin so I always look for them.

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Here is a new scenario at least for me with Royal Up.

Sailing is 5/27/22 Radiance of the Sea.  Cabin is a GTY balcony.  Placed bids back in March/April on Scenic Spacious Balcony, Sunset Spacious Balcony.  (that was name of category...have no idea other than they are some type of spacious).  Today I am 30 days out and my balcony GTY changes to an actual balcony room this am, (a fact I knew as I did the bar code trick).  About an hour ago I received the following email from Royalcaribbean.com with the subject matter stating "changes to your Royal Up request".  I thought wow, my bid was accepted?  I open the email and got this message "This email is to let you know that we’ve cancelled your requested RoyalUp upgrade due to a change in your reservation."  There was an "You now have the option to bid on more staterooms. To submit new bids, click here." So I just rebid with the same rooms as before.  Very odd.  I have a nice room now.  I would like one with a bigger balcony which is why I did these bids.  I wondered if anyone has seen this and if they were successful.  Of course I know its a crap shoot.  

What is “ (a fact I knew as I did the barcode trick) the barcode trick? Curious…

Thanks! 

14 minutes ago, okiedrifters said:

What is “ (a fact I knew as I did the barcode trick) the barcode trick? Curious…

Thanks! 

People with gty cabins can sometimes get an early clue about cabin number.  After check in (about 45 days precruise), you receive your set sail pass with a bar code.  If you have an iphone, just put the pass in your apple wallet.  If there is a number at the end after the - , that will likely be your cabin number.  If you are not an iPhone user, try a bar code reader app; it may give similar results.

Of course, the cabin number might not be there yet.  Also, the cruiseline always has a right to change gty cabin numbers.  And it is not even officially assigned to you when you see it in bar code but not in “my cruises” so you cannot swap for another cabin in same category until official.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

People with gty cabins can sometimes get an early clue about cabin number.  After check in (about 45 days precruise), you receive your set sail pass with a bar code.  If you have an iphone, just put the pass in your apple wallet.  If there is a number at the end after the - , that will likely be your cabin number.  If you are not an iPhone user, try a bar code reader app; it may give similar results.

Of course, the cabin number might not be there yet.  Also, the cruiseline always has a right to change gty cabin numbers.  And it is not even officially assigned to you when you see it in bar code but not in “my cruises” so you cannot swap for another cabin in same category until official.

Thanks for the info. I’m a long time RCCL a cruiser but have never booked a GTY. I was curious.  And, what did we do before our Apple wallet? 😀

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

It's pretty reliable.  50% of the time I do GTY and room is always correct. Especially nowadays when checkin is at 45 days instead of 90.  Any barcode reader on an android or apple phone will work.  What I do is pull up the seapass barcode on the computer or tablet.  Then I use the barcode reader on my phone.  Great invention.

• Like 2

I need some advice, please.

Post final payment, RCI has reduced the price of a balcony by £600 per couple from what I paid.

The larger balconies are now cheaper than I paid.

But I have bid on RoyalUps for JS, GS1, GS1, Owners.

I know people have been refunded the price difference.

My preference would be for my max bid on a JS to be accepted.

So, I'm not sure what to do.

If I asked for a difference refund, would this mean my RoyalUp bids go?

If I asked them to switch us to a larger balcony, would this mean my RoyalUp bids go?

47 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Post final payment, RCI has reduced the price of a balcony by £600 per couple from what I paid.

If I asked them to switch us to a larger balcony, would this mean my RoyalUp bids go?

1st part of your question, same happened to me and my bids stayed.  2nd part remember Royal up doesn't mean you actually win bid.  If you want larger cabin, get it.  I switched in November from a regular balcony to an aft spacious on the Adventure and I did have bids on a JS.  I wasn't notified but when I went in to cancel my bid, I noticed I was now able to bid on up to an Owners.  I actually redid the bid to just be the owners because at the time it was $300 total extra.  Of course I didn't win.   

Maybe this has already been asked... I received my Royal Up email 45 days out.  I placed a few bids. In the meantime, I called and did a paid upgrade direct through Royal. I did go in and cancel all of my existing bids but was hoping to be able to go back in and rebid on a better cabin now that I'm in a new room category.  The problem is when I click on the link in the 45 days out email it still shows my stateroom as being the former category (interior). Does it take a few days? At 30 days out maybe the data refreshes? Anybody have any experience with this? 

• Like 1

Good morning.  I booked a cruise onboard just last night for the May 8th oasis sailing. I got the app to take the cruise reservation but there was a time lag. Still can’t check in. 

that aside I tried to check to see if we can Royal up but I get the dreaded message of make sure the info is correct and that you are 30 days in. 

Is there a timing issue for me to actually become eligible to bid? Did I book too close in to get to bid? 

thank you for any insight.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, compman9 said:

None of us know the algorithm used by RoyalUp.  I personally doubt that cruise purchase price is a substantial part of that algorithm (as I think the algorithm will be about maximizing those final marginal $), but I admit do not know.  Others postulate that it is.  Since we do not know I suggest you treat the two topics separately.

The price drop situation is variable on whether your booking is under CWC rules and your country’s booking rules, but I’ll give my thoughts.  You figure out your goals then call and see what they will do for you.  If you are past your final payment due date, I doubt you will get a refund due to a price drop; more likely you will get OBC for the price drop if your cruise is covered by CWC.  So, if you qualify for CWC OBC for price drop, would you rather have your current balcony with a larger OBC or the spacious balcony with a smaller OBC?  Once you decide your preference, call about the price drop (or category change plus price drop); go ahead and ask for the refund; if that fails, ask for OBC.  Negotiate the best you can get (your rules may be different from mine so work your rules as best you can).

If you get OBC on you current cabin, I would not expect a change in RoyalUp offers.  If you change to a higher category, you may receive new RoyalUp offers, though it can take a few days; watch for them.  If due to a category change, there are any RoyalUp bids you’d no longer want active, cancel them immediately.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rewind said:

I'm 30 days out today but the Royal UP system won't let me in.  Maybe it has to be less than 30 days?

I'll try again tomorrow.

Also - it wouldn't come up for me until I cleared my browser history/cache, and as mentioned several times in this thread, I had to re-do it a couple of times. Got the error message about 30 days, then immediately did it again and got in.

I am less than 60 days out and can't get in and see the "30 days out" message. I confirmed with my TA that they participate in RoyalUp....so just looks to depend on sailing when they open it up.  I am on Voyager in the Baltic, which I still think has a 50/50 chance of sailing so maybe that is part of it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

I am less than 60 days out and can't get in and see the "30 days out" message. I confirmed with my TA that they participate in RoyalUp....so just looks to depend on sailing when they open it up.  I am on Voyager in the Baltic, which I still think has a 50/50 chance of sailing so maybe that is part of it.

“30 days out” seems to be a generic error message for RoyalUp.  It get it if I make a typo.  If there is more than one surname on the reservation, try the other one.  Also try clearing browser or maybe even a different device.  If there is a roll call for your Voyager cruise, have you asked on the roll call if others are able to access RoyalUp?Some people have repot that an occasional reservation is not able to participate in RoyalUp for no discernible reason.

• Like 2