Cunard latest new build

Kruserks92

I would imagine that there will not be a promenade deck on the new Cunard ship. They do not put them on newer builds.  A shame in my opinion.  The best place to be on a sea day.

They place the life boats in a different position.  That way there are no obstructed cabins.

12 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

I would imagine that there will not be a promenade deck on the new Cunard ship. They do not put them on newer builds.  A shame in my opinion.  The best place to be on a sea day.

They place the life boats in a different position.  That way there are no obstructed cabins.

if the position of the lifeboats is a SOLAS requirement or of any other regulatory body then they have no choice in the matter

The Solas- requierments have nothing to do with the position of those liveboats- other cruise lines still built new ships with a propper prommenade deck! Besides- Solas had the same rules when both Vici and Elisabeth were built! If the cruise line do state so- they don´t tell the truth- or at least- stretch the truth to their liking! Much more do with cabins without obstructed view´s!

4 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

The Solas- requierments have nothing to do with the position of those liveboats- other cruise lines still built new ships with a propper prommenade deck! Besides- Solas had the same rules when both Vici and Elisabeth were built! If the cruise line do state so- they don´t tell the truth- or at least- stretch the truth to their liking! Much more do with cabins without obstructed view´s!

Since post Costa Concordia the locating of lifeboats  on larger new build vessels has necessitated a change where the embarkation and location of large capacity life boats - hence the infringing of prom decks as we now see on the large new builds

I don't have the link but Google is your friend... 

Yes the K'Dam and the brand new N'Statendam all suffer this - no steamer chairs = only a narrow prom deck with obstructed views and a few wooden benches - 

Cunard's new build will be the same unless Cunard can do some alterations based on customer feedback 

2 hours ago, rog747 said:

Yes the K'Dam and the brand new N'Statendam all suffer this - no steamer chairs = only a narrow prom deck with obstructed views and a few wooden benches - 

Cunard's new build will be the same unless Cunard can do some alterations based on customer feedback 

Because this is where the lifeboats are, it would mean major changes to the design and, sadly, I doubt they'll do that.

On the other hand the new queen is slmost a third larger. 130,000 grt vs 99,000grt. With that big of a difference adding a larger P deck is possible. I was on K dam last week and if the decks are widened by just a few ft and the life boats raised a little it looked possible. I'm

not an engineer but it did seem possible. 

On 3/14/2019 at 2:48 AM, Germancruiser said:

The state she has no name- but as we know it will be Queen Anne!? I don´t care where the new Queen may sail- as long they give her a propper prom - deck!

I wouldn't be too sure about that  (Q. Ann)  I think some folks could be in for a surprise 😉

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 12:19 PM, Bell Boy said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that  (Q. Ann)  I think some folks could be in for a surprise 😉

With Ships no longer taking Female names  due to not being gender pacific , then Perhaps Carnival will take a first step and name it Prince Charles/ William Or Harry or George  etc 

Edited by Pennbank

1 hour ago, Pennbank said:

With Ships no longer taking Female names  due to not being gender pacific , then Perhaps Carnival will take a first step and name it Prince Charles/ William Or Harry or George  etc 

A ship, just like an aircraft is FEMALE. FULL STOP.

• Like 1

Despeque- I agree- female- full stopp! Oh that gender nonsense- does it not spare even ships and airplanes!

As for what they have in store for us- all we can do is speculate and hope for the best ( a propper PD) - all remains to be seen!

Edited by Germancruiser

On 3/15/2019 at 3:00 AM, rog747 said:

Since post Costa Concordia the locating of lifeboats  on larger new build vessels has necessitated a change where the embarkation and location of large capacity life boats - hence the infringing of prom decks as we now see on the large new builds

I don't have the link but Google is your friend... 

I don't think this is entirely the case.  We still have new builds with traditional promenade decks (the new Viking ships are a prime example).  The new Disney ships are also supposed to retain the traditional promenade deck.  Also ships like K-Dam and NS do not have high capacity lifeboats.  They are standard.  The Oasis Class does have high capacity lifeboats and the arrangement is completely different than K-Dam and NS.  

I'll also point out the trend of placing lifeboats directly on the deck (instead of above it) started with CELEBRITY SOLSTICE in 2008.  This was well before the Concordia accident.  It had nothing to do with SOLAS and everything to do with revenue.  Placing the lifeboats on the deck means one additional unobstructed deck of balconies above it.  The tradeoff is no unobstructed promenade deck with ocean views but as usual revenue wins out.  

I fully anticipate that the new Cunarder will not differ from K-dam and NS in her lifeboat arrangement.  I don't see Carnival Corp spending the money to make significant structural changes to a design that frankly is already outdated.  Cunard gets a new build, but at a substantial discount using a design borrowed from a sister brand.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, eroller said:

I don't think this is entirely the case.  We still have new builds with traditional promenade decks (the new Viking ships are a prime example).  The new Disney ships are also supposed to retain the traditional promenade deck.  Also ships like K-Dam and NS do not have high capacity lifeboats.  They are standard.  The Oasis Class does have high capacity lifeboats and the arrangement is completely different than K-Dam and NS.  

I'll also point out the trend of placing lifeboats directly on the deck (instead of above it) started with CELEBRITY SOLSTICE in 2008.  This was well before the Concordia accident.  It had nothing to do with SOLAS and everything to do with revenue.  Placing the lifeboats on the deck means one additional unobstructed deck of balconies above it.  The tradeoff is no unobstructed promenade deck with ocean views but as usual revenue wins out.  

I fully anticipate that the new Cunarder will not differ from K-dam and NS in her lifeboat arrangement.  I don't see Carnival Corp spending the money to make significant structural changes to a design that frankly is already outdated.  Cunard gets a new build, but at a substantial discount using a design borrowed from a sister brand.  

You are absolutely correct.  There was no change to SOLAS "post Concordia" with the exception of the timing of muster drill.  As you say, without the gravity davit requiring the boat to be above the promenade deck, they gain a full deck of balcony versus obstructed view cabins.  Also, the promenade deck is a non-revenue generating space, while anything inside the ship can be revenue generating, so a narrower promenade means the interior is larger, and hence more revenue generating space.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

You are absolutely correct.  There was no change to SOLAS "post Concordia" with the exception of the timing of muster drill.  As you say, without the gravity davit requiring the boat to be above the promenade deck, they gain a full deck of balcony versus obstructed view cabins.  Also, the promenade deck is a non-revenue generating space, while anything inside the ship can be revenue generating, so a narrower promenade means the interior is larger, and hence more revenue generating space.

Thank you for confirming!