The Last Straw

OCruisers

On 1/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, Ep010835 said:

Global warming comes and goes. Millenia after millenia ad infinitum. I don't disagree with that certain "world leader". 

Yep.  My college professor back in 1968, Dr. Guzman-Revas, said as much in his text book in my weather and climate class and he documented it.  Unfortunately, these days almost no one remembers anything in history beyond when they were born. That's when history began to them.  Seems to apply to everything.

BTW, I have no quarrel with the idea that plastic pollution as well as air pollution is a problem.  And, also unfortunately, the majority of both seems to be coming from Asian and African second and third world countries. 

Edited by ar1950
  • Like 2

I live in a coastal area with extensive waterways.    I recently did a tour of our local waste depot.     It's amazing what people put down their sinks and toilets.   The mind set seems to be, if your swill it or flush it away, its gone.  I had to totally rethink what I put down the  kitchen sink, and into my toilet bowl, it was a real eye opener.    I have been to Asia and I know waste in the waterways is a big problem in those countries, but at least for us who are aware of the damage water pollution can do, lets try and make a difference.   By the way, I like a straw in my Brandy Alexander, but if it's served without it, so be it.

Our use of throw away plastic not just in straws but for food purchases etc is out of control and polluting our space ship earth.  I do not mind not getting a straw since my mother taught me early to drink out of a glass without the straw or sippy cup.  The straw industry is now making paper straws that are quite good and Princess needs to switch to using them.  I certainly do not need a straw to drink my beer, highballs and martinis along with my constant consumption of unsweetened iced tea. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I certainly do not need a straw to drink my beer, highballs and martinis along with my constant consumption of unsweetened iced tea. 

Kinda unnecessary with my hot chocolate, too!

Just off the Ruby Princess.   Had the cold soup at dinner Pina Colada and I was offered no straw and no spoon.  So I asked for a straw and was presented with the paper kind.  I could hardly finish the drink/soup as the paper was not letting the soup through towards the end.  Then when I went down to International Cafe to order a frozen drink, again with the paper straw. I kindly asked if I could have a plastic straw, and was told, we are are only supposed to give plastic on request.  There you go.

1 hour ago, pink845 said:

Just off the Ruby Princess.   Had the cold soup at dinner Pina Colada and I was offered no straw and no spoon.  So I asked for a straw and was presented with the paper kind.  I could hardly finish the drink/soup as the paper was not letting the soup through towards the end.  Then when I went down to International Cafe to order a frozen drink, again with the paper straw. I kindly asked if I could have a plastic straw, and was told, we are are only supposed to give plastic on request.  There you go.

Last time out we too got paper straws. If they worked, they would be great! 😡

Never thought about about asking for a plastic straw. Will try that next week on the Grand. 

Thanks for the idea!!

The cruise ships are not the only ones not giving out straws freely, the resorts in Cancun have signs at the bars and restaurants that they no longer use straws.  They also recycle the plastic glasses given out at the beach bars.  They wash them in dishwashers, same as the glass glasses.

Just now, pink845 said:

Most people (not me) will forgo the straw when not served with the drink. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:27 AM, ar1950 said:

Yep.  My college professor back in 1968, Dr. Guzman-Revas, said as much in his text book in my weather and climate class and he documented it.  Unfortunately, these days almost no one remembers anything in history beyond when they were born. That's when history began to them.  Seems to apply to everything.

BTW, I have no quarrel with the idea that plastic pollution as well as air pollution is a problem.  And, also unfortunately, the majority of both seems to be coming from Asian and African second and third world countries. 

1968,mmm,they hadn't even put a man on the moon then.Computers were as big as houses.Knowledge has progressed.

• Like 1

We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise and were astonished to sail through a plastic trash gyre off the coast north of Panama. Seeing a green plastic chair float by was mind-boggling! 

The beach in Puntarenas, Costa Rica,  was littered with logs; our guide said that it happens with heavy rains. Who knows what else was washed out to sea! 

On the Coral Princess what looked like bamboo stirrers were in the International Cafe. 

On 1/30/2019 at 12:53 PM, Ep010835 said:

Global warming comes and goes. Millenia after millenia ad infinitum. I don't disagree with that certain "world leader". 

World leaders come and go as do heretics, deniers and crusaders. What goes on is the world. Judgementalism is never beautiful. Cruise on and be happy. 

11 minutes ago, gwhitti said:

World leaders come and go as do heretics, deniers and crusaders. What goes on is the world. Judgementalism is never beautiful. Cruise on and be happy. 

Well there you have it. The pure and complete truth. So thankful to have the enlightened among us. 

What flavor of Kool Aid is your favorite?

14 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

What a great idea!

Do you have a Costco Business Center near you?  You can get a box of 3000 wrapped straws for approximately $10.  At Christmas with my friends I felt like Oprah because I brought my box of straws in and I was like and you get some straws and you get some straws 😂

• Haha 1