The Last Straw

OCruisers

16 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Seems some cruise lines no longer have PLASTIC straws ....

Does Princess still have plastic straws?

If not, I'll want to take some with me.  

Yes they still have straws, however you generally have to ask for them if you want one. Except in the frozen blended drinks, they give those automatically usually.. Disembarked November 25...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Searching online found this for Princess.

Your server will not automatically provide a straw with sodas nor cocktails. He or she will, however, still provide a plastic straw with frozen drinks. Plastic straws are still offered at the passenger’s request for all non-frozen drinks.

• Thanks 1

As of very recently, they are not serving straws unless you ask and get a server willing to find one for you.  Even the cocktails with crushed ice don't have them so you get sugar/salt all over your face when you drink them. :classic_angry:  I love straws and miss them greatly.  One more thing to have to bring with us I guess.  Heard a fellow passenger say he brings his own sheets.  Is this what cruising is coming to?

1 minute ago, Astro Flyer said:

Your server will not automatically provide a straw with sodas nor cocktails. He or she will, however, still provide a plastic straw with frozen drinks. Plastic straws are still offered at the passenger’s request for all non-frozen drinks.

What is a "frozen drink"?  I had a daiquiri and got no straw.  Others in my group had frozen cocktails and no straw either.  We were wiping off sugar off each other's faces. 

53 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes they still have straws, however you generally have to ask for them if you want one. Except in the frozen blended drinks, they give those automatically usually.. Disembarked November 25...

2 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

What is a "frozen drink"?  I had a daiquiri and got no straw.  Others in my group had frozen cocktails and no straw either.  We were wiping off sugar off each other's faces. 

Like other things on Princess, standardization is lacking.  As reedprincess posted they usually provide a straw with a frozen drink which to me certainly includes a daiquiri. 

6 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Like other things on Princess, standardization is lacking.  As reedprincess posted they usually provide a straw with a frozen drink which to me certainly includes a daiquiri. 

They might be referring to frozen drinks from the coffee bar, milkshakes, and smoothies.

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

If you are traveling with a preschooler:  On the Ruby Princess this summer any drink our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter ordered always came with a plastic straw.  Never once had to ask.

26 minutes ago, capriccio said:

If you are traveling with a preschooler:  On the Ruby Princess this summer any drink our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter ordered always came with a plastic straw.  Never once had to ask.

This Fall cruise lines have been implementing changes to reduce single use plastics including straws so things are changing as these recent posts state.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 3

Just now, Astro Flyer said:

This Fall cruise lines have been implementing changes to reduce single use plastics so things are changing as these recent post state.

Even this summer we noticed the Ruby had started to reduce single use plastics.  We just appreciated that the granddaughter was always given a plastic straw. I don't remember any of the adults (party of 6) having a problem dealing without plastic straws.

My wife has always taken her own straws on cruises as she like the kind that bend.  So this ecological effort to reduce plastic straws in the waste stream will have no effect on her.  I never liked sucking a frozen drink through a straw as it resulted in frequent and painful brain freezes.  Now I have my margarita on the rocks instead of frozen.

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I never use plastic straws,I suggest those that do,research a bit about the eco damage they contribute to.

The well publicized stories about plastic islands in the ocean and sea animals with stomachs full of plastic do make a compelling case, but in almost every case the origin of these plastics are countries in Asia, not cruise ships.

Paper straws to me are an acceptable substitute to plastic ones, but then I am sure there are those who will protest the number of trees destroyed to make these straws.

Lets face it, cruising by itself cases eco damage with all the fuel used, even when done in the most environmentally favorable manner. Same as for airplanes flights.Those truly concerned about the environment should not fly or cruise

• Like 3