Total Lunar Eclipse while on a Princess ship ....

OCruisers

Wondering if Princess will do anything special for the Total Lunar Eclipse for those cruising in the Caribbean on a Princess ship?

There is to be a Total Lunar Eclipse which will start to eclipse  late PM January 20, 2019 with the FULL eclipse early AM January 21, 2019.

It would be fun to have a "Lunar Eclipe Party".  :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Wondering if Princess will do anything special for the Total Lunar Eclipse for those cruising in the Caribbean on a Princess ship?

There is to be a Total Lunar Eclipse which will start to eclipse  late PM January 20, 2019 with the FULL eclipse early AM January 21, 2019.

It would be fun to have a "Lunar Eclipe Party".  :classic_biggrin:

You could mention it to the Cruise Director when you are on board, but they might not want to have a party that late at night.

We were on a Caribbean cruise a couple years ago with a lunar eclipse.  We sat out in the deck chairs in the night and filmed it with my poor little old cell phone camera, and then when we got home, saw how lousy and jiggly the footage was.  We laughed at how pathetic and slow moving the video was - staring at a dot for almost an hour.  Live it was more interesting.

In our case, Princess had it mentioned in the Patter as a discover stargazing event, but as far as we could tell, other than dimming the deck lighting a bit, they did nothing special about it.  A number of people watched it slowly progress, but that was all.

Don

Our honeymoon cruise also had a full lunar eclipse but that was many moons ago (puns intended-lol); there wasn’t anything special planned for the event however my new DH and I dined early and spent time in a hot tub watching it. But all this was over 22 years ago.

I do imagine that now with the Stargazing events, as Paul previously mentioned, there will likely be something...providing the weather/clouds are cooperative.

If anyone is currently on the CB, or will be in the next few weeks, could you find out for us from the CD whether they will be doing anything special. The eclipse is supposed to be very high in the sky.

If you do find out any information you can post it back here on this thread or on our CB Jan12 roll-call. thanx in advance. 

Jim (and Jean)

Link to Eclipse details

Because the Lesser Antilles (Virgin Islands down to Trinidad) are more or less on the same longitude, cruise pax in that area will all be able to witness the full eclipse (max at about 1:10 a.m.; whole process takes about 5 hrs).

Edited by BarbinMich

Just went out and got January issues of Astronomy and Sky and Telescope periodicals. Good information in both of these magazines, can never be too well prepared. We will be headed out of Port of Spain on the evening of the eclipse. Hope to have a 'sky event' on board which means dimming topside lights and reducing speed for a couple hours to keep the winds down.

9 hours ago, jeanandjim said:

Just went out and got January issues of Astronomy and Sky and Telescope periodicals. Good information in both of these magazines, can never be too well prepared. We will be headed out of Port of Spain on the evening of the eclipse. Hope to have a 'sky event' on board which means dimming topside lights and reducing speed for a couple hours to keep the winds down.

Don't just hope. Speak to the Cruise Director to ask to arrange this if they were not planning to already.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Don't just hope. Speak to the Cruise Director to ask to arrange this if they were not planning to already.

I have sent an e-mail to the CD thru LinkedIn. Hope this works. Posted a request on the roll-calls prior to our cruise in hopes of getting someone to help our cause. I am also monitoring the boards, in hopes that someone on the CB will be doing a live-from. If so, bingo, I get to ask him/her to contact the CD for me. If our roll-call manages to have a meet and greet, I plan on bringing it up to the Captain, ED, CD, and any other officer that may attend. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, as I said, can never be too prepared. 

Thnx, Jim

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update on our Total Lunar

On 12/4/2018 at 8:18 PM, OCruisers said:

I

We were there and it was well worth viewing!

It was a totally cloudless sky so excellent veiwing.

Announcements were made saying the Sanctuary (deck 17)  would be open with lights dimmed.

Micheal (their stargazing expert)  from the CD staff was there  explaining and answering questions. 

Equally good views from deck 16 where there were more chairs ... needed because there were lots of people. 

Happy to have experienced this event under ideal conditions.  :classic_smile:

13 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Update on our Total Lunar

We were there and it was well worth viewing!

It was a totally cloudless sky so excellent veiwing.

Announcements were made saying the Sanctuary (deck 17)  would be open with lights dimmed.

Micheal (their stargazing expert)  from the CD staff was there  explaining and answering questions. 

Equally good views from deck 16 where there were more chairs ... needed because there were lots of people. 

Happy to have experienced this event under ideal conditions.  :classic_smile:

Sounds wonderful!  What ship?  I saw the eclipse from my backyard, but of course it is cold and wintry here.  The ship would have been fantastic!

3 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Sounds wonderful!  What ship?  I saw the eclipse from my backyard, but of course it is cold and wintry here.  The ship would have been fantastic!

We were on Caribbean Princess in the DEEP Southern Caribbean ... leaving from Trinidad heading to the ABC Islands.  Feel so lucky we were able to view under ideal conditions.  

Even in very chilly Chicago weather, feel sure you are happy to have had the experience of seeing it which is all that really matters. 

2 hours ago, OCruisers said:

We were on Caribbean Princess in the DEEP Southern Caribbean ... leaving from Trinidad heading to the ABC Islands.  Feel so lucky we were able to view under ideal conditions.  

Even in very chilly Chicago weather, feel sure you are happy to have had the experience of seeing it which is all that really matters. 

Thanks for telling about your experience on the Caribbean Princess.  So fantastic!  You are right that I was privileged to have seen the eclipse, also, even in wintry Chicago.  Thanks again for sharing your experience.

OCruisers, thanks for telling us about your eclipse experience on the Caribbean P!  We had clear skies that night here in the Detroit MI area also, but it was too darn cold to go outside to watch.  We could see it for a bit out our east window, but it's a high small window in our bedroom so couldn't see the moon for long.  It rose pretty much due east, and then it moved over our house.  ;-(

We were on the Regal and had left Ft Lauderdale that evening. There were scattered clouds throughout the evening but the view was pretty great when it was clear. They turned the lights off on the Sport Court and surrounding area on decks 17 & 18. I think the best view was from the lawn on 18. Here is one of the pictures we took (it looked much better in person - this is a cell phone).14527.thumb.jpeg.b76e74e52e18ba4bf779ee7218a8c340.jpeg