Medallion Events on Board

Elsa Shores

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I think its the most brilliant marking ploy ever invented.  For very little cost, HAL incents people to sail with them to achieve the next medallion level.. Several on this thread have said it inspired them to cruise more or more with HAL.  All for the cost off some sparkling wine, a inexpensive medallion and lunch (you were getting a free lunch anyway).  Brilliant!!!    

You might have misinterpreted my own statement - it was not the medallion that inspired me,  just the thought that some people had actually cruised that number of days. At that early point I assumed a cruise was one of those "once in a life time" experiences; not a lifestyle itself. The Medallion is piffle; the hundreds of days actually cruising is a reward in itself.  The medallion is just a milestone marker.

Edited by OlsSalt

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

You might have misinterpreted my own statement - it was not the medallion that inspired me,  just the thought that some people had actually cruised that number of days. At that early point I assumed a cruise was one of those "once in a life time" experiences; not a lifestyle itself. The Medallion is piffle; the hundreds of days actually cruising is a reward in itself.  The medallion is just a milestone marker.

Thats fine, others are inspired as well.  I always hear the oohs and ahhhs when someone gets one of the 500 or 700 day ones.  Either way the process with or without the medallion worked for you.

Edited by KirkNC

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, BJzink said:

I have a 3 foot "Christmas" tree which is my vacation memorabilia tree.  I have little ornaments from each of my cruises & other vacations on it.  My Medallion is on it with the others.  

I have to be honest - when I received the invitation I had to ask other passengers what it was about - I had never seen anything about it on the Hal website,  or anywhere else.   

Mariner perks (and any loyalty program, really) are incentives. The medallions are recognition. We don't wear ours, but I'm not going to begrudge someone who does. When it comes to accessories and jewelry, the wise man either gives a compliment, or shuts the heck up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Didn't HAL try to eliminate the Medallion (recognition) program several years back when the Star (incentive) program was initiated?  And there was such a big negative reaction from HAL cruisers that Seattle decided to have both.

Yes. First they were going to eliminate them altogether, then changed that to keeping just the upper levels, then decided to keep them all. 

2 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Didn't HAL try to eliminate the Medallion (recognition) program several years back when the Star (incentive) program was initiated?  And there was such a big negative reaction from HAL cruisers that Seattle decided to have both.

As Carol said, there was such a wailing and gnashing of teeth that the medallion program was reinstated to operate parallel to the new Mariner program. Took about a week, IIRC.
The copper medallion, however, took about a year before it was reinstated.

9 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The copper medallion, however, took about a year before it was reinstated.

I like to refer to it as "bronze-like." It makes me feel better about myself. I liken it to the Olympics. "I'm number 3! Wooo!" :classic_cool:

16 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I like to refer to it as "bronze-like." It makes me feel better about myself. I liken it to the Olympics. "I'm number 3! Wooo!" :classic_cool:

Actually the Mariner FAQs refer to it as Bronze ... it just looks like Copper to me!

Will I still receive medallions and pins as I have in the past?

Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status.

Edited by catl331

4 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Actually the Mariner FAQs refer to it as Bronze ... it just looks like Copper to me

Thanks. Self esteem repaired! 

6 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Actually the Mariner FAQs refer to it as Bronze ... it just looks like Copper to me!

Did the wooden shoes and the orange smock give him away? Or the cheeks stuffed with bitterballen? ....(hee hee hee)

Edited by OlsSalt

24 minutes ago, catl331 said:

It was referred to as the copper medallion until it was reinstated, and then termed 'bronze'; of course it looks more copper than bronze to anyone who knows the difference. The look of it didn't change a bit when it was brought back.

Personally, I suspect someone who didn't know what it was composed the new entry, and gave it the wrong name.

I will reach (and exceed 100 days) during my next cruise.  from those who have experienced this am I likely to be awarded the bronze during this trip or like the Mariner points will it only be after the cruise is finished that this will be recognised ?

5 minutes ago, ris_scot said:

I will reach (and exceed 100 days) during my next cruise.  from those who have experienced this am I likely to be awarded the bronze during this trip or like the Mariner points will it only be after the cruise is finished that this will be recognised ?

You will get it just before the Mariner Brunch on your next cruise. Or at least we got ours, at 99 days!   You could "inquire" at the front desk as a way of reminding them.  

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

You will receive the medallion on the cruise that you qualify. Since it's based on actual days on the ship, there is no need to wait for any spending credits.

Be sure to check at the front desk that you are on the list to receive one.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RuthC said:

It was referred to as the copper medallion until it was reinstated, and then termed 'bronze'

Thank goodness we didn't make our 100 days until the reinstatement. Gentlemen prefer bronze. 🎖️

• Haha 2

My 2 cents worth on this subject is as follows. My wife and I have over 25 cruises with HAL and are 4 star and Bronze holders. We wear our 4 star pins on the day of the luncheon. Yes my wife likes the free drink and tiles very much. As far as the medallions goes I bought a fake pair off Ebay and put them in my cruise travel luggage and left them in there for ever. I did this so if our luggage was ever lost in transit we still have our real units at home. Then if we want them they are with us but not to lose our originals that are hung up on our HAL plaques in our front hall of our home. Colakid 

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are 3 Star Mariners and also Bronze Medallion holders yet we haven't been invited to a Medallion event or recieved Tiles in years, why is this?

On our last few cruises, only 4 and 5 star mariners were invited to the awards ceremony.

The tiles are passed out at the brunch.  Since we don't go to them anymore, we ask our concierges to get them for us.  If you don't go to the brunch, you can stop by the front desk and ask for the tiles.

54 minutes ago, Colakid said:

My 2 cents worth on this subject is as follows. My wife and I have over 25 cruises with HAL and are 4 star and Bronze holders. We wear our 4 star pins on the day of the luncheon. Yes my wife likes the free drink and tiles very much. As far as the medallions goes I bought a fake pair off Ebay and put them in my cruise travel luggage and left them in there for ever. I did this so if our luggage was ever lost in transit we still have our real units at home. Then if we want them they are with us but not to lose our originals that are hung up on our HAL plaques in our front hall of our home. Colakid 

Good to see your  alive and well Rollie. Say hi to Polar Bear mom and have a great holiday season. I’m sure the house is decorated to the hilt.🌲😀

Edited by aliaschief

1 minute ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

On our last few cruises, only 4 and 5 star mariners were invited to the awards ceremony.

The tiles are passed out at the brunch.  Since we don't go to them anymore, we ask our concierges to get them for us.  If you don't go to the brunch, you can stop by the front desk and ask for the tiles.

Thanks for the info. We had thought that the Meddallion program was discontinued and only found out when our dinner mates on our last cruise 2 weeks ago told on in was still intact.

11 hours ago, POA1 said:

Thank goodness we didn't make our 100 days until the reinstatement. Gentlemen prefer bronze. 🎖️

I prefer to call it "rose gold".  And for the record, I wear my medallion to the awards ceremony and luncheon; I earned it, I'm going to enjoy wearing it at least once every cruise.  DH calls it my most expensive piece of jewelery, which it is.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1