Flight time question?!

klfhngr

38 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Found a great price from FLL to LAX. We arrive from the cruise in MIA, flight leaves at 10:30AM from FLL. Do we have good odds making it on time? Will do self debarkation.....

That will depend on day of the week, traffic and how quickly your ship docks and is cleared...I would personally be a bit concerned...but you absolutely have to self disembark get in a taxi ASAP and be on your way. Best of luck !

Personally would absolutely not do this. However people report tight turnarounds that work out, so it's up to you. 

We pay for cruise insurance even though we've never used it and it's probably not a great bargain. . . at a certain point (for me) the risk is not worth the bargain, the potential stress, the chance of it all going south, and not to the Caribbean.  And this from a world class cheapskate.

I agree with everything Ashland says above. If the ship arrives on time, if you are first in line for self-debarkation and if debarkation is not delayed for any reason, if you have no trouble with customs, if traffic is light, if airport security moves fast, if all the logistics flow flawlessly, it is possible to make this flight.  Good odds?  You need an actuary to figure out the statistics.  If the odds of failure are low but it's not your day, what difference does it make?  What's your Plan B?

Edited by KmomChicago

I wouldn't chance this if the ship was docking in Ft Lauderdale. Trying to get to Ft Lauderdale from Miami in a short period of time I wouldn't even consider it. If there are a lot of ships coming in that day the line at TSA could also slow you down.

For a 10:30 flight you need to be at FLL NLT 9:00, and with the typical TSA chaos 8:30 is better.  With the drive from POM to FLL taking about 30-45+ minutes that translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 7:30 or so - then grab the first taxi (fare will be about $75+) in line and pray that traffic cooperates.

Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :classic_unsure:

I would choose a flight leaving at noon or later, but it is your call.

13 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Found a great price from FLL to LAX. We arrive from the cruise in MIA, flight leaves at 10:30AM from FLL. Do we have good odds making it on time? Will do self debarkation.....

Would not do that with an MIA arrival.

Keep watching the airfares. Sometimes flights from FLL-LAX are cheaper, but more often than not, the direct flights from MIA-LAX are less.  You will find the morning flights on the weekends (when most cruise ships are arriving) are the least expensive, but that's because few cruise passengers book them.  Although some will tell how they made it to the airport with time to spare, other can tell of times when the ship was late, when the ship took longer than normal to clear, customs was slow, etc. 

We have made it off the ship before 0730 and to the Miami airport so fast that we couldn't even check in for our flight until 0900 because we were too early.  HOWEVER, that was off in Miami and to Miami airport.  Not sure I would want to try to get to FLL in a hurry.  Never done the trip from POM so I don't know what it is like.  It seems like we always get off in plenty of time but I would never want to push it that close with so many unknowns.  

56 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Symphony on a Sat....

I would be comfortable with a 10:30 FLL flight (getting to the airport by 9 with a 6:30 walk off at POM is very doable), but would be prepared in case of delays. The drive time diff between POM-MIA and POM-FLL on a Sat that early is about 20 min.

Edited by Biker19

I'm looking at a previous cruise flight, and we made it off the Allure and to FLL (from FLL) for a 10:15 AM flight. 

I know, the ship was already in FLL.... But this does give us some hope that we can make it for a 10:30 AM FLL flight after debarking in MIA.... Hmmmmmmmm....

I do appreciate all of your comments and advice.

17 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I'm looking at a previous cruise flight, and we made it off the Allure and to FLL (from FLL) for a 10:15 AM flight. 

I know, the ship was already in FLL.... But this does give us some hope that we can make it for a 10:30 AM FLL flight after debarking in MIA.... Hmmmmmmmm....

I do appreciate all of your comments and advice.

Oasis class ships (such as Allure) tend to dock and begin disembarkation earlier than other ships, so keep that in mind as you recollect that you made a 10:15 flight afterward.   That along with the fact that you have to get from Miami to FLL, makes this a very different situation.  But it sounds like you plan to book the flight regardless so good luck.