Oriana Breakdown

sweep2907

I notice poor old Oriana brokedown and left everyone with no facilities or hot food after leaving Tenerife. It's managed to crawl back into Lisbon where it is being fixed but should've been in La Coruna today and may well not be back in time for Panama and Caribbean cruise Sunday.

Edited by sweep2907
Spelling

2 hours ago, sweep2907 said:

I notice poor old Oriana brokedown and left everyone with no facilities or hot food after leaving Tenerife. It's managed to crawl back into Lisbon where it is being fixed but should've been in La Coruna today and may well not be back in time for Panama and Caribbean cruise Sunday.

Not due in La Corina until the 4th. This has now been cancelled and staying in Lisbon until 20.30. Then back to Southampton for the next cruise. All facilities restored and the outage caused little problems to facilities. Information from someone on board.

Not good however especially with a long cruise coming up.

6 hours ago, daiB said:

Not due in La Corina until the 4th. This has now been cancelled and staying in Lisbon until 20.30. Then back to Southampton for the next cruise. All facilities restored and the outage caused little problems to facilities. Information from someone on board.

Not good however especially with a long cruise coming up.

Reports I've read elsewhere from a couple onboard suggest that the toilets weren't working and the lighting was off for some time. It apparently happened during breakfast and they did a BBQ for lunch due to lack of cooking facilities. What did your friends say Dai?

2 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

Reports I've read elsewhere from a couple onboard suggest that the toilets weren't working and the lighting was off for some time. It apparently happened during breakfast and they did a BBQ for lunch due to lack of cooking facilities. What did your friends say Dai?

Latest I have heard is that most things were up and running by 12.30/13.00. Weather was good and BBQ worked well. Lots of comment on a different forum. The vast majority very positive. 

The “Cruise from Hell” couple were getting hammered and one gent who was on the ship said he was going to look for the couple and explain what he thought of them. I suspect they will keep their heads down.

52 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Oriana is still in Lisbon at 2230 according to Marinetraffic.

Brian

various webcams including her own suggest thick fog in Lisbon raising possibility  that the port is closed

Well, just got back from this cruise.

Although we were dead in the water for about 7 and a half hours, I cannot see how this was the "Cruise from Hell".

Ok, toilets couldn't be flushed for about 5 hours, once the power started being restored, they were able to work again, and I felt safe enough to order a beer or two!  Lunch was a choice of cold cuts and salad in the MDR, or deck BBQ.  We opted for the MDR.  Slightly funny that they were using disposable plates and cutlery, but at that point there was no update on how long the power outage would continue.   An announcement was made that passengers with mobility issues would be assisted by staff regarding lunch etc.

Wine and bottled/canned beers available, the shops continued to sell stuff in the dark!  Most of the entertainment continued.

When we got going again mid afternoon we  were informed out the Lisbon call.  Didn't hear anyone moan about it.  The only passenger facility that remained affected was no air con in the cabins and some parts of the public areas.

The Baltic/Ligurian lunches were combined and re-scheduled.  Although tables weren't hosted, some officers floated around, the meal was great and the grog flowed (better than some previous occasions!).

It was the most serious disruption we have encountered in our cruising days, and we thought the staff coped wonderfully.  What could have been a major blight, became a mere blip.

We were very lucky with the weather that day.  I'm sure things would  have been different if the weather had been adverse, but I am also sure the crew would have coped equally appropriately. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:36 PM, daiB said:

Latest I have heard is that most things were up and running by 12.30/13.00. Weather was good and BBQ worked well. Lots of comment on a different forum. The vast majority very positive. 

The “Cruise from Hell” couple were getting hammered and one gent who was on the ship said he was going to look for the couple and explain what he thought of them. I suspect they will keep their heads down.

Just read their 'interview' and press link about their 'cruise from hell'.....  think they would be wise to keep their heads down. They have a photo of themselves in the press link. Unwise, methinks, especially whilst still onboard.

23 minutes ago, Hols4 said:

I've noticed Arcadias departure from Southampton has been out back to 0600 on Monday wonder if she has a problem as well ?

Yes she is late departing for her World Cruise. Apparently she has a technical problem with her steering. 

I do not know what more could have been done Captain kept everybody updated, yes toilets were an issue but was told to use your cabin. Lunch was either a barbecue or a cold buffett in the Peninsular. Staff used evac chairs to help passengers around the ship.