Carnival Eliminates Free Room Service... Will Other Lines Follow?

mnocket

16 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Sounds crazy.

Here's an idea:  If there is no minimum, then everyone should order one item at a time.

LET them send a tray with a glass of OJ.  Then another with some toast.

Want coffee?  Order that, too (separately).

Cereal?  Call again!

A croissant?  You know what to do.

IF enough people do this (or bunch the items to make up any "minimum" each time), then perhaps, just perhaps, the beancounters will figure out a "better way"!

GC

Or they will eliminate room service all together.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

If someone want just one item, for example coffee, it's probably better with charging per item than a flat fee.

There are several continental items on RCI's menu that are free and not part of the fee.  Coffee is one of them.  

19 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Sounds crazy.

Here's an idea:  If there is no minimum, then everyone should order one item at a time.

Cereal?  Call again!

IF enough people do this (or bunch the items to make up any "minimum" each time), then perhaps, just perhaps, the beancounters will figure out a "better way"!

GC

Yes, they will start charging for continental breakfast items.

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

If someone want just one item, for example coffee, it's probably better with charging per item than a flat fee.

Maybe lots of people ordered lots of things without eating it?

At least for Royal Carib, it seems many people were ordering one thing.  Like a plate of cookies in the evening.  

By charging per order, people would either walk out and get cookies from the buffet or the Park Cafe, or do without.

From reports, room service got MUCH faster when they started charging.

For Royal Carib, it is $7.95 per order, except for the continental breakfast items.  Grand Suites or higher get free room service, plus an expanded selection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Or they will eliminate room service all together.

That would be bad for the disabled, or people who can't leave their cabin.  For instance, a parent with a sick or napping child.  One of my friends takes her elderly father (who needs assistance with walking) with her on some of their cruises.  While my friend and her husband are in port, her father is able to get lunch through room service.  

Roz

I don't know if it's just for out of the ordinary circumstances but I have personally seen some lines waive usual  room service fees (and other fees) for those that stayed in their cabins (this was due to quarantine and injuries) and also allow relatives to take MDR food back to the cabins with cloches included.

54 minutes ago, Roz said:

That would be bad for the disabled, or people who can't leave their cabin.  For instance, a parent with a sick or napping child.  One of my friends takes her elderly father (who needs assistance with walking) with her on some of their cruises.  While my friend and her husband are in port, her father is able to get lunch through room service.  

Roz

Yes it would and I hope it would never happen, but if people play games like Geezercouple suggested, they just might.

13 hours ago, Aquahound said:

There are several continental items on RCI's menu that are free and not part of the fee.  Coffee is one of them.  

For breakfast yes but maybe someone wants to order it another time of the day. It was just an example so coffee can be replaced with something else.

On 1/6/2019 at 12:41 AM, bob brown said:

If you are thinking about "EasyCruise", they tried and subsequently failed... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyCruise

It seems there must have been two cruise lines who tried it because the one I was thinking off ran a Pacific route😳. I guess the fact I haven't heard of it since then probably means it didn't work😜. I just remember there was a lot of buzz about it when it was introduced. Their ads made it out like it was all about choice (eat how you want, when you want and only pay for what you eat) and that the eating establishments would be gastronomic experiences😕

On 1/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Sounds crazy.

Cereal?  Call again!

GC

When NCL started charging a flat fee, it was suggested that folks should just order tons of food and waste it, and then the fee would go away. That was years ago.

On 1/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, NLH Arizona said:

Yes, NCL charges $7.95 per order, with the exception of continental breakfast during morning hours.

What a ripoff! So, if I just want a ham sandwich or hot dog I'll be charged $8??!! Or a cup of tea and cookie??!!  Ridiculous! 

I often use room service for lunch or dinner but then I'm not eating at one of their restaurants so should not be charged a fee.  The mainstream cruiselines nickel-&-diming has sunk to an all time low.   👎

15 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

What a ripoff! So, if I just want a ham sandwich or hot dog I'll be charged $8??!! Or a cup of tea and cookie??!!  Ridiculous! 

I often use room service for lunch or dinner but then I'm not eating at one of their restaurants so should not be charged a fee.  The mainstream cruiselines nickel-&-diming has sunk to an all time low.   👎

No one forces anyone to pay the charge, as it is really easy to walk up to the buffet and get a hot dog or a cup of tea and cookie and bring it back to your cabin.

4 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

No one forces anyone to pay the charge, as it is really easy to walk up to the buffet and get a hot dog or a cup of tea and cookie and bring it back to your cabin.

True, but it's a sad trend in the evolution of mainstream cruiselines. I'm sure it's just the beginning of more cutbacks to come. Like watching the Ritz Carlton turning into a Red Roof Inn...both have beds to sleep in, but that's as far as their similarities go. 

22 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

True, but it's a sad trend in the evolution of mainstream cruiselines. I'm sure it's just the beginning of more cutbacks to come. Like watching the Ritz Carlton turning into a Red Roof Inn...both have beds to sleep in, but that's as far as their similarities go. 

The problem is, is that we consumer want lower prices and everyone has an issue when prices rise, so what is a cruise line to do.  It is a catch 22, they can either raise the prices or they change charge for things that some (not all) passengers use.  I would rather they charge for things that I may or may not use, then raise the prices.

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

I would rather they charge for things that I may or may not use, then raise the prices.

Obviously that's the thinking of many people nowadays and some cruiselines are catering to them. I'm glad that not all lines do.