Has Celebrity Edge met your expectations?

Mynki

Has Celebrity Edge met your expectations?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question for those who have actually sailed onboard Edge. Has she met your expectations? Comments explaining how you voted are most welcome.

• My Edge cruise exceeded my expectations
    • My Edge cruise met my expectations
    • My Edge cruise failed to meet my expectations
    • My Edge cruise fell well below my expectations

12 hours ago, Doc2725 said:

Lack of bars? From the looks of the tours on Youtube, there are a ton of bars. 

That depends on how you define "bars".  There is a lack of the lounge type bar, where one can relax, have a conversation, and a pre or post dinner drink in a comfortable setting - similar to the Rendevous, Ensemble or Sky Lounges on the M & S class ships.

5 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

In any case, it's enough for me to draw my conclusion on the rooms.  I like the technology, the bathrooms, and the upgraded beds, but would not book a cabin with an infinite veranda, which is a faux balcony.  It's more like two chairs by an open window.  Can we assume that these things won't open in Alaska or that these ships with these windows will not visit Alaska or other cool weather destinations like British Isles, Russia & Baltic itineraries or other?  

The 2 day cruise we were on was quite chilly, 40s in the evening, upper 50s during the day and quite windy.  We keep the window opened about 4” or 5” to hear the surf. Sitting on the “veranda” was quite pleasant and very private.

Edited by Oville

15 hours ago, Mynki said:

You raise an interesting point. At the time of writing I assumed that people giving up very valuable vacation time and spending considerable sums of money on their cabins would have the expectation of a good to great cruise.

I've never met anyone who'd book a cruise with negative expectations personally, always quite the opposite. But if these people do exist I believe they're in a tiny minority.

Your premise is correct - I certainly have the expectation of a great cruise.  I only commented because there has been a lot of negativity about Edge and in this instance people might have various expectations, some not positive,  going into their Edge cruise.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:57 AM, rrunner said:

We are on The Edge at the moment.   I came with low expectations after reading many comments on Cruise Critic.  Sadly so many are correct.  The loud music is very annoying    We are in our 70s and do not enjoy boom boom music. Lack of activities is surprising   We have cruised many times with Cunard and Oceania both lines have many entertaining lecturers.  Yes we can read  but could do that at home.  Food is typical for a mass market ship.  Afternoon tea was disappointing. Celebrity always did a nice spread.  Yesterday I saw dozens of  donuts and cupcakes.  There were scones.  The decor is very nice and our cabin is quiet. Ship so far has less motion than any ship we have sailed    We have cruised over 30 times.   The Grand Plaza  is awful. Borderline dark and gloomy. No windows but many restaurants and bars and again loud music. We have never seen such a congested place.  I think the ship is suited to the under 50 age group. We will return back to the cruise lines more suited to us.  This was our 7th cruise with Celebrity and last.  

We are much like you guys and were on the Edge for 10 long days in December and did 7 of 9 cruises on Celebrity last year..  We pretty much agree with all you mentioned and met other seniors who felt the same.  Yes, there were some good points but not enough to make up for all the negative things.  Looks like our days on Celebrity are limited.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, Oville said:

Thanks Hcat, it certainly was interesting to read the posts about the IV cabins.  

We are down to 11 days until our aft S1 on Edge, we are beginning to feel “packing stress” :classic_ohmy::classic_smile:.

Hope you are all set and have a great cruise, 

I fly back to Fl  next week and we  will start packing for 1/27...most  of it came down to Fl in Dec and is sorted in the guest rm  but  final edit now required,

The aft S1 sounds amazing..can't wait to hear about it,,,we have a reg SV for our  Nov EDGE cruise. Let us know if there are any noise or vibration issues ..

Enjoy!

The Edge exceeded our expectations. I’m not sure if it was all of the negative reviews I read here before we sailed on 12/30 or if I just look at it like a vacation and have no preconceived notions about what to expect but we very much enjoyed the Edge. 

As as a background note we are what most would call millennials (33 years old, born in 1985). As a side note many people my age don’t relate to those born in the 1990’s as the same generation as our integration with technology is completely different than theirs. We are also Celebrity loyalists and Elite Plus with a 3.5 year old and one on the way. So I am not sure we are who Celebrity is targeting but many of the Edge changes appeal to us. 

We typically sail in suites but we were with a larger group this time and found several things related to the regular class of cabins a major improvement over the last time we sailed. The 4 split dining venues were a much more comfortable and enjoyable experience than the main dining room. The food quality on the Edge was quite a bit better than most of our recent sailings (luminae included). I will say We all missed Tuscan Grill though, it is always a family favorite and gets visited multiple times. The Tuscan main dining venue is not even in the same vein as what Tuscan Grill is in the S and M class ships. The buffet was great, the baked goods were amazing in every venue. The show in Eden is odd but the food was amazing and the chefs clearly took great pride in their work in this restaurant. Fine Cut was a let down for a steakhouse even at sea. Tuscan Grill on the S and M class ships does better steaks and sides than Fine Cut. 

As as far as the cabin itself, the infinite verandah is great. It takes all of the balcony space and makes it usable space in the stateroom when you need it and can make the entire cabin or just the standard space a Verandah when you want that. The only change I would suggest on Apex and later ships, which has been mentioned as nauseaum here is the ability to keep the cabin dark and have someone sit in the chairs on the verandah. I wake up earlier than my wife and son and my only option was to leave the room. A simple fix would be curtains where the glass doors are. The restroom and shower are better than that of a sky suite on the S and M class ships and I would say that is a huge plus. The only bathroom we have had better than this was the S class Royal suite but those are miles apart in terms of size and price.

The music on board was great. The live music by the pool had a great variety and selection and the volume was always loud enough to enjoy but still converse. The music played in the common areas clearly appealed to a younger generation as I often found many songs playing that I had never heard on a Celebrity ship before.

The large pool with 360 degree tanning ledge was great and made the pool feel like an actual pool party and kept the deck a livelier place since it wasn’t broken into multiple sections. The pool deck was noticeably lacking any public clocks though which was odd. I enjoyed the lack of a constant sales pitch for t shirts and junk chain that have been on some recent Caribbean cruises. The onboard shops had beautiful products and the prices reflected how proud they were but it was a nice change to see some new merchandise instead of the tired wares they keep trying to peddle on the other ships.

We had access to the Retreat Lounge via Blue Chip Club and while we typically spend a fair amount of time in Michaels Club on the S and M class ships the Retreat Lounge felt uninspired and like a hotel lobby. The Michael's Club has always felt like a comfortable living/social room for us but this was a miss. It did however fit with what I would say the designers intents were in that it felt like a hotel lobby and the entire ship felt more like a high end hotel than a cruise ship.  

Overall, we loved the ship and it’s changes. We will continue to sail higher end rooms on S and M class ships but when prices normalize for Edge and follow on ships we wouldn’t hestitate to sail on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It met my expectations because after reading so many posts here on Cruise Critic, my expectations before boarding were pretty low.  I agree with VT Cruising.  Some places my expectations were far exceeded (staff and food for example); many places they were simply met; and some where they didn't meet my expectations.  

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again, but not at the current pricing and definitely not in an infinite veranda.  I think those two items are going to be a real struggle for this class of ship.  Time will tell.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, rM3panno said:

The Edge exceeded our expectations. I’m not sure if it was all of the negative reviews I read here before we sailed on 12/30 or if I just look at it like a vacation and have no preconceived notions about what to expect but we very much enjoyed the Edge. 

As as a background note we are what most would call millennials (33 years old, born in 1985). As a side note many people my age don’t relate to those born in the 1990’s as the same generation as our integration with technology is completely different than theirs. We are also Celebrity loyalists and Elite Plus with a 3.5 year old and one on the way. So I am not sure we are who Celebrity is targeting but many of the Edge changes appeal to us. 

We typically sail in suites but we were with a larger group this time and found several things related to the regular class of cabins a major improvement over the last time we sailed. The 4 split dining venues were a much more comfortable and enjoyable experience than the main dining room. The food quality on the Edge was quite a bit better than most of our recent sailings (luminae included). I will say We all missed Tuscan Grill though, it is always a family favorite and gets visited multiple times. The Tuscan main dining venue is not even in the same vein as what Tuscan Grill is in the S and M class ships. The buffet was great, the baked goods were amazing in every venue. The show in Eden is odd but the food was amazing and the chefs clearly took great pride in their work in this restaurant. Fine Cut was a let down for a steakhouse even at sea. Tuscan Grill on the S and M class ships does better steaks and sides than Fine Cut. 

As as far as the cabin itself, the infinite verandah is great. It takes all of the balcony space and makes it usable space in the stateroom when you need it and can make the entire cabin or just the standard space a Verandah when you want that. The only change I would suggest on Apex and later ships, which has been mentioned as nauseaum here is the ability to keep the cabin dark and have someone sit in the chairs on the verandah. I wake up earlier than my wife and son and my only option was to leave the room. A simple fix would be curtains where the glass doors are. The restroom and shower are better than that of a sky suite on the S and M class ships and I would say that is a huge plus. The only bathroom we have had better than this was the S class Royal suite but those are miles apart in terms of size and price.

The music on board was great. The live music by the pool had a great variety and selection and the volume was always loud enough to enjoy but still converse. The music played in the common areas clearly appealed to a younger generation as I often found many songs playing that I had never heard on a Celebrity ship before.

The large pool with 360 degree tanning ledge was great and made the pool feel like an actual pool party and kept the deck a livelier place since it wasn’t broken into multiple sections. The pool deck was noticeably lacking any public clocks though which was odd. I enjoyed the lack of a constant sales pitch for t shirts and junk chain that have been on some recent Caribbean cruises. The onboard shops had beautiful products and the prices reflected how proud they were but it was a nice change to see some new merchandise instead of the tired wares they keep trying to peddle on the other ships.

We had access to the Retreat Lounge via Blue Chip Club and while we typically spend a fair amount of time in Michaels Club on the S and M class ships the Retreat Lounge felt uninspired and like a hotel lobby. The Michael's Club has always felt like a comfortable living/social room for us but this was a miss. It did however fit with what I would say the designers intents were in that it felt like a hotel lobby and the entire ship felt more like a high end hotel than a cruise ship.  

Overall, we loved the ship and it’s changes. We will continue to sail higher end rooms on S and M class ships but when prices normalize for Edge and follow on ships we wouldn’t hestitate to sail on them.

Thanks for your impressions of the ship.  I feel like I am pretty observant, but I enjoy hearing about the things I didn't notice (like the clocks). 

I am looking forward to seeing how the ship has evolved over the last 6 weeks. 🙂

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

It met my expectations because after reading so many posts here on Cruise Critic, my expectations before boarding were pretty low.  I agree with VT Cruising.  Some places my expectations were far exceeded (staff and food for example); many places they were simply met; and some where they didn't meet my expectations.  

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to sail her again, but not at the current pricing and definitely not in an infinite veranda.  I think those two items are going to be a real struggle for this class of ship.  Time will tell.

Thanks, Anne, for your initial impressions. Can't wait to hear more.

Though I know we will have a great cruise next week, with the current pricing I am half hoping it isn't too amazing so it will be easier to book S Class for our next cruise. 😉

24 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Though I know we will have a great cruise next week, with the current pricing I am half hoping it isn't too amazing so it will be easier to book S Class for our next cruise. 😉

Marilyn, I know this is off topic, but I want to wish you a very smooth & relaxing cruise😊 I do hope that you will let us know if you find that Celebrity has added more varied (indoor) music, and more bartenders since your earlier cruises. Fingers crossed😉

Cheers,

Michelle

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Marilyn, I know this is off topic, but I want to wish you a very smooth & relaxing cruise😊 I do hope that you will let us know if you find that Celebrity has added more varied (indoor) music, and more bartenders since your earlier cruises. Fingers crossed😉

Cheers,

Michelle

Thanks! I will watch where I am walking this time and hopefully will have a wonderfully relaxing cruise. I will report back about the music and bartenders - both very important for a good cruise, IMO! 🙂

• Like 2