San Diego ratings

DAllenTCY

Hi Folks,

Here are the recent Holland America Line guest survey figures:

San Diego            
Sailing Date    Embarkation    Disembarkation    Comment
10/21/2018    7.65    9.24    Ship sharing terminal with NCL/Itinerary change due to weather
10/28/2018    N/A    N/A    Ship full charter/Legendary Blues
11/04/18    8.66    8.66    
11/11/18    8.88    8.74    
11/29/2018    8.56    9.15    
12/9/2018    8.93    9.23    
12/16/2018    9.15    9.23    
12/23/2018    9.08    9.19    
12/30/2018    9.09    9.19   

Very similar Disney Cruise Line ratings of 94% on average for the fall 2018 season.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

All the cruise lines choose this pier . The city of San Diego built as new cruise pier ,yet none of the cruise lines opt to use it . We think the reason is that it would cost the cruise lines more money to use the new SD cruise pier  .Thus ,the reason for those lower ratings 

Thank you for posting, David.  I read a lot of complaints about San Diego, but it's my favorite port to cruise out of it.  So easy, with hotels within walking distance.

Roz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for those ratings.

We have embarked and disembarked many times in San Diego -- my ratings back then would have been way lower.

We have never really had any problems disembarking at this port BUT every embarkation so far has been a challenge.  It is by far our least favourite U.S. port and HAL is not entirely responsible.  The porter experience and the security personnel are the most disorganized we have seen anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It didn't make any difference whether we were staying on the ship to continue heading north or getting off the ship, we always had a few people who did not show up for immigration and as a result no one could get off the ship until around 10:30 or so.

The last time we were there, we were getting off to head to a hotel.  One elevator was out of order and the line up for the other one was super long.  Thus taking forever to get into the terminal to get our luggage.

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

All the cruise lines choose this pier . The city of San Diego built as new cruise pier ,yet none of the cruise lines opt to use it . We think the reason is that it would cost the cruise lines more money to use the new SD cruise pier  .Thus ,the reason for those lower ratings 

For many of our stop overs or stop offs -- there was only the 1 terminal.  One time we had to use the tent!!

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

We have never really had any problems disembarking at this port BUT every embarkation so far has been a challenge.  It is by far our least favourite U.S. port and HAL is not entirely responsible.  The porter experience and the security personnel are the most disorganized we have seen anywhere.

Our Eurodam 11/29 embarkation was terrible ( we have cruised out of SD many times)  Pouring rain and no porters was just the beginning. Disembarkation, however, was the smoothest ever!  No calls for passengers to report for immigration and very quick exit.  We were amazed!

Karen

Good job San Diego!! 

Yes I am a little biased about this great city as I am a native San Diegan BUT we have NEVER had any negative experiences either boarding or disembarking here using the Post of San Diego.  San Diego is THE best for easy travel, from flying in to the super close airport (SAN), hotels and restaurants within walking distance of the pier, Midway Museum, harbor cruises, Uber or Lyft cheap options available, Weather is usually very nice too.  We have always driven right up to the porters and dropped off our luggage, and gone in and waited to board maybe an hour to embark and we self-debark (off as earlier as allowed with our own luggage in hand) and usually home by 9:00am.  (We live about 45 minutes from the port).

Good job San Diego and all the fine people who work there.  Happy cruising to all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The "new" pier (aka Broadway Pier) is too short for the bigger ships, so it's rarely used.  Zaandam-size can use it. Eurodam-size cannot. Although it was paid for by Carnival, environmental concerns kept the design smaller than originally planned.  There is more room in and around the the original terminal for passengers, buses and  semi tractor trailer trucks making deliveries.  

Edited by Boatdrill

50 minutes ago, VacationingCharlene said:

Yes I am a little biased about this great city as I am a native San Diegan BUT we have NEVER had any negative experiences either boarding or disembarking here using the Post of San Diego. 

You have been exceedingly fortunate, then. My WORST embarkation ever (so bad it had me in tears) was at that port. I will never go back.

Just because one time in Vancouver, the wait was 2 hours and 40 minutes didn't keep me from going back several times since.

I do understand, as I never .....ever.....ever have stayed at a Holiday Inn again in 50 years!!!  I had pre-paid and arrived with my confirmation number only to be told that the hotel was "oversold".   All other properties were "full", so my ex-wife took a cab to the airport and flew home.   

David

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

You have been exceedingly fortunate, then. My WORST embarkation ever (so bad it had me in tears) was at that port. I will never go back.

It was my worst as well, Ruth.  Horrible.  They didn't ask me for any ratings back then 😉 

The only thing that saved us was Westerdam opening up the crew entrance and letting us come in that way.

But, I am glad to hear things have improved for the sake of cruisers sailing from here.  Like you, I'm not one of them 😉 

Good for you Venn for living in the now.    

Who cares if somebody had a wretched experience years ago?    Things change.  Get over it.

Cruising out of San Diego rocks!

p.s.   These look like pretty good survey results!

Edited by JRG