First Diamond Cruise...Need Help!!!!!

This April will be my wife and I's first Diamond cruise and we need some advice.  We will be on the Oasis and every cruise, since they have offered, we have gotten the drink package.  This trip we are torn due to the 3 drink tickets per day and the Diamond Lounge being available to us.  We are just trying to figure out if its worth from a cost standpoint and a convenience standpoint to spend the $800 or not for the drink package.  I will tell you I mainly drink beer and wine as does my wife.  On a typical cruise day we will each drink about 5-10 drinks.  Would love to here what other fellow cruisers have done.  I know there isn't a best solution, just would just like to see what others say.  Thank you in advance.

If you drink many of those 5-10 outside the Diamond cocktail hours (appx 5-8PM), it might be worth it.  Only you can decide - as others said do the math.  Number of port days when you won't be on the ship during the day can be a factor.

Edited by bouhunter

It is unlimited , but very small selection of drinks, if in the diamond lounge. But, as stated, it is only from 5-8 pm.  The 3 drinks loaded onto the card are used outside of the Diamond lounge. So you could drink all you want and then stop at a bar to bring something into dinner and then again for a show.

Try it and see if you can do without the drink package.

We don't drink as much as you, perhaps 2 drinks in the DL...however, it sounds like we are the same when wanting a drink outside of the 5-8:30 happy hour.  For that, we use our vouchers and ask for beers and sodas (politely asking not to open them), put them in our fridge, and drink them during the day. 😎

We are D+ and we still get the package.  Beer at $10.70 a piece and drinks between $11-$13 each, package it totally worth it.  We never cruise without getting it.  Many ships we don't' even go to the lounge as on Oasis Class we like Schooner so much more.  But between mimosas in the morning/beer/coffee/water/soda/drinks we more than pay for the package.  Just part of the cruise price for us.

• Like 2

Diamond here and we too get the package.  We prefer to spread our drinks out over the day, not cram into a few hours.  Also not crazy about what is offered on the lounge menu.  Would really like to see a discount on the package for diamond since we don't use that perk.

I think it is a question of when you drink.

If you drink in the morning, noon or afternoon, and not so much in the evening buy the package.  

If you are like me, you get up and go to the flowrider, and you ride all day, then at night you go to the DL ... buying the drink package is a complete waste.

jc

Now a Diamond with a little more than a half dozen cruises under our belts at that level.  Prior to Diamond we bought the drink package on each cruise we took, since we have been pay as you go.  For us has seemed to work out not to get a package.  I for one skipped the have to get a drink first thing in the morning mimosa routine, u know to get my moneys worth from the package (hey i don't drink in the morning at home either).  Then one or two at the pool during the day when we stay on ship or on port days after an excursion I stop at a local watering hole and grab a drink if i want one (cheaper there).  Usually hit the lounge or a bar for a before dinner drink, then take one to dinner.  Depending on nites entertainment option chosen, other voucher drink or a trip to lounge for a few.  We have meet some really nice people in the lounges, that have a lot in common with us, probably more so than we ever met just doing the bar with the package before status.  Any this works for us and thought i would share, enjoy your cruise whatever you decide .

Just made d+ and we have gotten the drink package since it was offered. As many have pointed out it’s definitely a personal decision of when and what you like to drink and if you like to put down a lukewarm beer and get a nice cold one. We like to have a beer in our room getting ready or hanging out watching a movie and after a day or two figure out which bartenders will give us a couple diamond beers unopened (with a tip) to put in our fridge for when we are in the room.   We only need to do it a couple times to stock our room but I imagine you could do it more if you found that bartender.  

Edited by cindivan

On 1/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, camofwilliamsburg said:

It is unlimited , but very small selection of drinks, if in the diamond lounge. But, as stated, it is only from 5-8 pm.  The 3 drinks loaded onto the card are used outside of the Diamond lounge. So you could drink all you want and then stop at a bar to bring something into dinner and then again for a show.

Exactly. You can have drinks in the lounge and then use the vouchers, but it is all during Happy Hours.