What is you favorite cruise hack on RCCL

On 1/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

If you go by any swimming pool early in the morning there are lots of new clean towels on the deck chairs that you can grab to replace your missing “stolen” one. 

Also a good way to find a book to read or a pair of new flip-flops (might have to look at two side-by-side chairs to get the footwear, though -- a flip on one chair and the matching flop on the neighboring chair).

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, bilyclub said:

They used to have a party for suite and top tier C & A on the Allure helipad.  Don't know if they still do.

Deck 14 observation area, above the bridge wings. Go forward in the deck 14 port side passenger corridor through a door.

23548148943_40564e2cef.jpg

That was such treat the first time bc I had never been there. I enjoyed that so much more than the show format.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:18 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

Not just for RCCL, but for all travel...ZIP LOCK bags/freezer bags.    I bring all sizes, snack, gallon and two gallon.  Good for all the examples above and  I often need the larger bags to be a "wet bag" for  packing to go home.  

The Radiance class usually has the helipad open during the day. It is empty during the day, except for sail away day.      We did a small  private vow renewal there.  If it is open at night, the stargazing is often magnificent.  On Oasis class, stroll through Central Park  any time, but especially around 7PM  for nice music. If available on your ship,  try the zip line/ flow rider/north star/Ifly/ice skating etc.  as those are specific to RCCL .

One routine we have to is walk the  outside  after dinner.  Except for  the smoking areas, the  walking deck is empty and quiet.  We are amazed that we are  there with thousands of other people and hardly  see anyone  taking a stroll.   

Try any activity/show that might interest you.  If you don't like it, you can leave.  If we are unsure of a show description, we sit near the back, on the  end of a row  so if we need to, we can make a quiet escape.  We would  never try it from near the front.  Those comedians can be brutal.

We tell all new cruisers  not to pre judge  by the first  day as it is very hectic.    Seems everyone is at the same place ( Windjammer, pool, muster, dinner line) but it thins  out for the remainder of the cruise.

Enjoy

The jogging deck is spectacular for a stroll. It is like you're on your own yacht. These are all great tips!

On 1/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Holmie said:

Not necessarily a cruise hack, but something we do on most vacations. We always pack a febreeze scented trash bag for our dirty clothes. We hand wash a lot of stuff, but the bags prevent the closet/room from getting stinky from stinky clothes we don’t want to wash. 

This is an amazing idea. My hubby does ALL the activities and I would like to throw out his clothes.:classic_rolleyes:

On 1/24/2019 at 5:31 PM, Holmie said:

This is the most important tip here! Our airline lost one of our bags before our last cruise so we only had 2 shirts each and my husband only had 1 pair of shorts and some swim trunks for the whole 7 night cruise. We also didn’t have any toiletries, but we bought new stuff, which was inconvenient, and got reimbursed from airline. Didn’t let it put a damper on our cruise at all. It’s vacation: any day on a cruise is better than a day at work 😂

Always have an outfit in your carryon.Nothing worse than being in your comfy airline clothes for your entire trip. And shopping for a bathing suit on the fly, not fun. 

I do bring my own very brightly patterned beach towel and clips. That way my husband can find me eventually if I have wandered off. It worked well with our kids also. In a sea of the same towel, mine is easy to spot when scanning.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, mugtech said:

I always bring a Barong Tagalog, the formal shirt from the Philippines, light, easy to pack, made of pineapple plant fabric.  Easy to wear on formal night, the Filipinos on board usually give me a smile.

I've worn a guayabera for dress-up on a cruise, although not on an official formal night. Which was the original and which was inspired by the other is a point of dispute (but I have no desire to argue about it). In the ABC islands a guayabera is formal enough for a church wedding.

• Like 1

I always bring a Barong Tagalog, the formal shirt from the Philippines, light, easy to pack, made of pineapple plant fabric.  Easy to wear on formal night, the Filipinos on board usually give me a smile.

I've worn a guayabera for dress-up on a cruise, although not on an official formal night. Which was the original and which was inspired by the other is a point of dispute (but I have no desire to argue about it). In the ABC islands a guayabera is formal enough for a church wedding.

• Like 1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

do bring my own very brightly patterned beach towel and clips. That way my husband can find me eventually if I have wandered off. It worked well with our kids also. In a sea of the same towel, mine is easy to spot when scanning.

Towel clips have been a necessity on several ships because of the wind while on pool deck.  

On 1/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, brillohead said:

The router only gives you wifi in the room (or wherever you put the router) -- not over the entire ship.  So it's really not quite the same as getting "free" devices. 

Yes, you can both use it at the same time, but it's just one ship connection, and you both have to be in the same place at the same time, so it's not much different than one person logging off and the other person logging on. 

With the shared router, you can't just pay for one and both use it anywhere you want at any time.  You're still very limited.

As stated above, but also, this 'hack' requires minimal IT skills (especially for trouble-shooting issues) and therefore is limited to those who are comfortable with the technology. You can't go to the front desk to ask for help with it, which is why not everyone is going to 'take advantage' of it (if you can call it that, since it is so limited as it is). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 11:58 PM, londongal796 said:

As stated above, but also, this 'hack' requires minimal IT skills (especially for trouble-shooting issues) and therefore is limited to those who are comfortable with the technology. You can't go to the front desk to ask for help with it, which is why not everyone is going to 'take advantage' of it (if you can call it that, since it is so limited as it is). 

Does Royal block people from using hotspot?  If we buy one device internet can we then hotspot to other devices?

1 minute ago, Miamia65 said:

Does Royal block people from using hotspot?  If we buy one device internet can we then hotspot to other devices?

No. Yes. Though very phones can hotspot a WiFi connection - a travel router works much better. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, tinkr2 said:

The jogging deck is spectacular for a stroll. It is like you're on your own yacht. These are all great tips!

The jogging track is for jogging, not strolling.   Please leave the jogging track for those who want to run or walk very fast.  There are ample places to meander.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, Miamia65 said:

Very few phones can hotspot a wifi connection.  Because that would take a separate wifi transmitter and receiver.  They typically hot spot a CELLULAR data connection.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

The jogging track is for jogging, not strolling.   Please leave the jogging track for those who want to run or walk very fast.  There are ample places to meander.  Thanks!

Walkers on the right, runners on the left. Guys with the drink carts in the middle. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Very few phones can hotspot a wifi connection.  Because that would take a separate wifi transmitter and receiver.  They typically hot spot a CELLULAR data connection.  

Friends are on AL at the moment they are unable to hotspot using the ship wifi connection 

5 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

I am a runner but there is room for both walkers and runners.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

Sheesh, no weaving about, yes I get that, but there is no pace requirement!  While my recent knee repair has slowed me down, I often walked faster than some who jogged but was also outpaced by many and would definitely be outpaced now but if I'm going in a circular fashion on the track I don't expect any grief!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

The track is for everyone. Not matter your style. I'm a speed/power walker and walk the track early (NLT 6:AM) every morning for 1.5 hours. So by 7:30 I'm done before most but not all strollers, joggers and runners are out and about. My only ***** is the leisure walkers and slower joggers need to stay to the right and single file. Plenty of track for everyone's style. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2