Speciality Dining Reservations

elemon

Hi there, I just booked a cruise for this March.  Haven't sailed NCL in 10 years.  We got the specialty dining with our package.  I went to look at reservation for Ocean Blue and it came up with no options for more then 1 person on any of the days.  So then we just can't eat there at all the whole week unless we go solo?  The Italian had some reservations. I am going to keep looking but this seems crazy to me!

28 minutes ago, elemon said:

Hi there, I just booked a cruise for this March.  Haven't sailed NCL in 10 years.  We got the specialty dining with our package.  I went to look at reservation for Ocean Blue and it came up with no options for more then 1 person on any of the days.  So then we just can't eat there at all the whole week unless we go solo?  The Italian had some reservations. I am going to keep looking but this seems crazy to me!

Specialty Dining reservations open 130 days prior to departure. What you are seeing is that you are too late and all pre-cruise dining is now sold out. 

While you could keep checking daily (since 1 is the same as 2, because they are all 2-top or 4-top tables), the easiest thing is to go to Headliners/The Social on Deck 6, Mid-ship as soon as you board and add/fix your dining reservations. They hold tables for onboard bookings,,,, but they, too, will sell out. 

There are a limited number of reservations available pre-cruise in all categories of specialty dining.

If you are booking an odd number - book the next higher even number and square it away with

the restaurant the night of dining or better before with the Dining Reservations desk people - when

you first come on board the ship.

If in a suite or Haven work thru your Butler and Concierge for the necessary reservations and changes.

With the SDP - you do not have to pay up front for the reservations.

As Two Wheels Only just posted - the complete inventory of reservation times is not put up for selection.

With that comment noted - when you get on board the ship proceed directly to the Dining Reservations

desk making those all important engagements. *** Note here the Dining Reservations desk maybe moved

to another location to handle the volume of guests making changes and reservations. The DR desk with

one computer just isn't going to hack it. Usually there will be as many as 4-5 or more reservations people

with laptop computers logged in to the DR to assist you. Your booking will be noted and you will be given

a paper receipt with that data on it.

After the booking need to change anything contact the DR asap

It helps a great deal to have your daily plans - shore excursions and shows expecting to attend - and the

desired times of dining and alternative restaurants to work in these events.

The NCL pre-cruise computer bookings leave much to be desired - not only in the actual booking but also

with the format of bouncing back and forth between restaurants to see what is available whereas the

on board ship booking method available to the DR people shows a great deal more versatility.

Or she could do what we did, call your NCL personal cruise consultant. I use the same person for booking, reservations and any changes, we are now inside 115 days until our next cruise and we saw 1 for some of our choices when we have a party of 4. They were able to make our reservations for 5 night s of our 7 night cruise. ( 3 specialty and other two nights Manhatten room)

Interesting!  Thank you all for the information, that makes sense that only some of the reservations are made available.  I like the idea of all the different restaurants (more like an all inclusive resort) vs traditional dining rooms but im not a fan of a schedule on vacation.  I am going with my cousin and sister in law so there are an uneven number of us.  I primarily eat salads or vegetarian as I don't eat meat or seafood but will be joining them when they go.  It's hard to book something and then hope you feel in the mood for it 🙂

1 minute ago, wiscwood said:

I’m confused... how do we know if reservations open 90 or 130 days before sailing?  I’m doing a 7-day in a balcony on Breakaway. Thanks!

If you are in a balcony then it is 120 days. It is 130 days for those people booked in a suite.

90 days is what it used to be. That is now not relevant.

I was not able to make my specialty dining reservations online. I waited until today (the 90 day mark) and finally just called NCL. I was easily able to make my reservations by phone. I had no problems with entertainment or shore excursions booking online. Not sure what the problem was with dining, but a simple phone call resolved the issue.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:17 PM, BirdTravels said:

Specialty Dining reservations open 130 days prior to departure. What you are seeing is that you are too late and all pre-cruise dining is now sold out. 

While you could keep checking daily (since 1 is the same as 2, because they are all 2-top or 4-top tables), the easiest thing is to go to Headliners/The Social on Deck 6, Mid-ship as soon as you board and add/fix your dining reservations. They hold tables for onboard bookings,,,, but they, too, will sell out. 

Since 1 is the same as 2, can you reserve a table for 1 online precruise?  Will that guarantee a table for 2 and just tweak it when you board? 

On 1/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, elemon said:

Haven't read the other replies so I am probably repeating what has been posted. They hold about 50% or according to my TA about 60% of the reservations for those who book when they get on the ship. We always do it that way. We just book as soon as we get on the ship and almost always get the time we want of very close. Don't fret, it will work and yes, I agree with you, it makes no sense. I can see holding some but not as many as they do.

On 1/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, elemon said:

I just wanted to give you a head's up that on Saturday, my cruise was 120 days out.  I was able to start booking my reservations online as well.  We are a party of 6, so I really wanted to go online to book and make sure we could get the days/times we wanted. 

At first, it was saying the max I could book for was 1 person at every restaurant at every time.  I refreshed the page, and kept hitting the click down button and then things changed.  Some of the days opened up to 8 ppl.  Others were still showing 1 person so l just kept refreshing and playing with the click down button and it eventually changed to 8 for all restaurants, dates and times. 

I really think there is a glitch or some issue with the online reservation service.  I would just call.  It takes 5 mins.  I ended up calling anyways because after reserving, I wasn't given any sort of confirmation.  So I called and they emailed me my confirmations.  

Edited by Charliebox

getting Le Bistro for hubby's birthday was very important to us so I did give them a call yesterday. We are only 3 plus weeks out and kept getting the reply reservations for 1 only.. I was able to get almost the exact time we wanted and a table for 4. Obviously I am glad I called them. 

• Like 1

Yeah, my Escape sailing in April is currently showing "1" as the only Party Size option for every date in every time slot at every restaurant. Definitely seems to be a technical glitch. I am confident there are many bookings actually available, because the sailing itself is still less than 50% full. I am not going to stress about it, since I know I can book onboard via the reservation desk, touch screens, TV in my stateroom, or Cruise Norwegian app. Have used all of those methods at one point or other on past cruises.

• Like 1

Here's the reply I received from NCL Tech Support when I emailed them about the issue:

"Thank you for contacting the Automation Support Desk at Norwegian Cruise Line. We are aware of the situation and our IT Department are looking into the issue to get it corrected as quickly as possible. Thank you for getting in contact with us in regards to your particular cruise. At this point in time, we are suggesting for guests to call into our Reservations Department for their dining or entertainment reservations."

10 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

What phone number do you call for specialty restaurant reservations if there is a problem online? I don’t believe i will have trouble but we want to go same night as daughter and family (4) then they have another teenager with them.

Today was the first day that we could make

reservations for our May18th cruise on the Joy. 

Calling the NCL # they were able to get me reservations for Teppenyaki, Cagney's But I was told that they have not finalized(?) Ocean Blue so it was not available to make reservations.  And to Check back in a while.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:59 PM, JamieLogical said:

Here's the reply I received from NCL Tech Support when I emailed them about the issue:

"Thank you for contacting the Automation Support Desk at Norwegian Cruise Line. We are aware of the situation and our IT Department are looking into the issue to get it corrected as quickly as possible. Thank you for getting in contact with us in regards to your particular cruise. At this point in time, we are suggesting for guests to call into our Reservations Department for their dining or entertainment reservations."

I was finally able to make reservations this morning for my April sailing on the Escape. It seems that the technical glitch has been fixed and you can now select party sizes greater than one.