Explorer 2020 Dry Dock

k39jkr

It seems I've booked Explorer for her second cruise after her 2020 dry dock.  My online searching has informed me that she is part of the Amplified program but not details of what this will mean for Explorer in particular.  I figured I would start this thread to post updates of what will be done to this ship as they become available.  I'm curious to know if they will be redoing the staterooms and what restaurants will be on board.  I'll post any interesting links I find and hope others will do the same.  Counting the days to June 2020!

Edited by k39jkr

I would look to Mariner and Navigator for ideas as to what will be done to Explorer. 

Regarding Explorer's staterooms- they were updated with a new navy blue color scheme back in her 2015 dry dock. I personally don't imagine they will do anything else besides necessary maintenance. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

2 minutes ago, k39jkr said:

It seems I've booked Explorer for her second cruise after her 2020 dry dock.  My online searching has informed me that she is part of the Amplified program but not details of what this will mean for Explorer in particular.  I figured I would start this thread to post updates of what will be done to this ship as they become available.  I'm curious to know if they will be redoing the staterooms and what restaurants will be on board.  I'll post any interesting links I find and hope others will do the same.  Counting the days to June 2020!

Unlikely they will completely redo staterooms.  They normally only raplce what is needed.

Agree with other's, if lucky will get a one time redecorating of Cabins. Some don't ever get one theirs in 20-25yrs with Royal before they are sold off. And Explorer just got one. Ships like Explorer get a 5yr Dry Dock to do Marine Side Maintenance, when get little older they do more often... Oh and I was on Explorer when she first sailed, back then they would list sailings by number paid cruises ship had done. I was Explorer of the Seas sailing 008...

Edited by ONECRUISER

This is why we will cruise on her only before this dry dock and then never again as it will not improve the quality of cabins and the ship overall.This dry dock will just add again more cabins, people and pay extra options. Respective changes can be expected to be similar to Navigator.   

Oddly, unlike the poster above me, I'm excited to try her AFTER the dry dock for the expanded features, the upgrades, and the overall improved quality of the ship.  I almost went on her recently, but have decided to pause until the upgrades are done.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

This is why we will cruise on her only before this dry dock and then never again as it will not improve the quality of cabins and the ship overall.This dry dock will just add again more cabins, people and pay extra options. Respective changes can be expected to be similar to Navigator.   

I am very excited to be sailing Navigator after her current drydock. In fact, I was just on Explorer 3 or so months ago and all I kept saying was this is going to be redone on the Navigator. While there will be a few new pay extra options, they are redoing the pool area and adding slides for some fun. Royal was in dire need of some new bar concepts, so the Bamboo Room and Playmakers being added to these ships will be a nice feature. Sure, food in these venues costs extra, but everything else is being replaced pay-extra for pay-extra (Jamie's instead of Giovannis, Hooked instead of Sabor. And it seems that the new El Loco taco stand by the pool will be complimentary. 

So perhaps the quality of the cabins won't be improved, and perhaps they are adding more cabins which means more people...but I am happy with the other additions enough to overlook those.

3 hours ago, cot427 said:

I am very excited to be sailing Navigator after her current drydock. In fact, I was just on Explorer 3 or so months ago and all I kept saying was this is going to be redone on the Navigator. While there will be a few new pay extra options, they are redoing the pool area and adding slides for some fun. Royal was in dire need of some new bar concepts, so the Bamboo Room and Playmakers being added to these ships will be a nice feature. Sure, food in these venues costs extra, but everything else is being replaced pay-extra for pay-extra (Jamie's instead of Giovannis, Hooked instead of Sabor. And it seems that the new El Loco taco stand by the pool will be complimentary. 

So perhaps the quality of the cabins won't be improved, and perhaps they are adding more cabins which means more people...but I am happy with the other additions enough to overlook those.

Are the slides being added for sure?  I'm hoping to benefit from the fun without the increase in kids...not that kids aren't great, but I'm leaving mine at home!

1 hour ago, k39jkr said:

Are the slides being added for sure?  I'm hoping to benefit from the fun without the increase in kids...not that kids aren't great, but I'm leaving mine at home!

Slides for sure on Navigator. The waterslides will be two new slides that have never been offered: The Blaster, the cruise line’s first-ever aqua coaster and the longest waterslide at sea, will offer a two-person raft that will propel them through more than 800 feet of hills, drops and straightaways, which includes extending over the side of the ship for a rush of ocean air. AND. On its counterpart, Riptide, guests will plunge headfirst down the industry’s only headfirst mat racer and reach an exhilarating finish through a translucent tube with endless ocean views.

Nothing for sure on Explorer yet.

Edited by cot427

1 hour ago, k39jkr said:

Nothing is "for sure" at this point, but they have added slides to all other Voyager and later ships in recent dry docks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, poncho1973 said:

Oddly, unlike the poster above me, I'm excited to try her AFTER the dry dock for the expanded features, the upgrades, and the overall improved quality of the ship.  I almost went on her recently, but have decided to pause until the upgrades are done.

How long till Mariner?

• 2 weeks later...

We will be on Explorer prior to the refurb (January 2020). The deck plans shown on Royal's website do not show the changes made to the fitness center for Navigator. I'm wondering if they're just not updated yet (it does show specific dates post-refurb), even though the changes will be made. Has anyone heard for sure if they will be removing the existing fitness center on Explorer to replace it with more cabins and putting in a new smaller fitness center aft, like they did on Navigator?

1 hour ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We will be on Explorer prior to the refurb (January 2020). The deck plans shown on Royal's website do not show the changes made to the fitness center for Navigator. I'm wondering if they're just not updated yet (it does show specific dates post-refurb), even though the changes will be made. Has anyone heard for sure if they will be removing the existing fitness center on Explorer to replace it with more cabins and putting in a new smaller fitness center aft, like they did on Navigator?

No info on this has been publicly released by the cruise line.

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, carpino said:

I’ll like to drop this by there is a 67 day gap in the 2020 year, for the Explorer of the seas so I am about 90% sure that it would get the same treatment as it’s sister ships

32F7654E-27B7-47DB-8637-196AD217DC5C.jpeg

This info is not new. The point is that her sister ships have been updated differently. The question is if Explorer will be treated like Navigator or more similar to Mariner or Adventure.

Edited by Saab4444

53 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

So far they never redid ANY staterooms on any of the other amplifyed ships!

Only minor repairs and replacements in the staterooms.... 🙄

I agree, I don't think any or Royal's dry docks have redone all the staterooms.  However, they did do a large number of bathrooms on Vision class ships.