After the Outbreak - Oasis of the Seas

Drock20J

Our family when we are on a cruise,  besides washing/sanitzing our hands we also bring Culturelles and takes it daily,  it is probiotics and it helps with stomach/digestive virus issues.

do a search on the internet and you will see many articles on how probiotics helps with stomach virus including norovirus

https://www.wral.com/lifestyles/healthteam/story/10742574/

Edited by StrikeEagle
  • Thanks 1

I am one of the terrible people that doesn't use hand sanitizer. I do wash my hands religiously while on cruises.  The hand sanitizer absolutely destroys my fingertips to the point that i have cracked skin with visible wounds.  

I choose the lesser of 2 evils.

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:07 PM, LXA350 said:

Oasis also has one of the best hotel directors of the fleet, Peter Dimitrov, hence a big thank you would go to him

the reason Noro outbreaks in the first place is due to personal hygiene of the passengers themselves of which RCCL unfortunately can’t control

When I emailed the CEO, he also CC'd the Oasis Master and Hotel Director, so they also got the email.

As an update, I also emailed the COO and got a thankful reply.

5 hours ago, Wahed said:

I am one of the terrible people that doesn't use hand sanitizer. I do wash my hands religiously while on cruises.  The hand sanitizer absolutely destroys my fingertips to the point that i have cracked skin with visible wounds.  

Carry hand lotion and apply to your dry skin.

24 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Carry hand lotion and apply to your dry skin.

I have tried this.  I firmly believe no amount of hand lotion can re-moisten my hands from the sanitizer.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

You can be carrying Noro for days before getting symptoms, and even tho YOU don't feel bad....yet...you can still be spreading it around.  So folks who came on the ship and thought they were healthy, may not have been.  That is why this particular virus is SO contagious!  It runs rampant thru the schools,  nursing homes, hotels.....

Washing your hands is for your OWN protection...

7 hours ago, Wahed said:

I choose the lesser of 2 evils.

Forgive me, for I have sinned.

Don't beat yourself up since it is not effective on noro anyway. Washing is best. And for those who think using double dose of sanitizer will miraculously become effective--think again. It can help for other things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Don't beat yourself up since it is not effective on noro anyway. Washing is best. And for those who think using double dose of sanitizer will miraculously become effective--think again. It can help for other things.

Good Deal.  Thanks!

I just bought some sanitizing wipes on amazon that are supposed to kill Noro and I plan to bring them on our cruise next month to wipe down surfaces in our room. I do the same with hotels. I'm paranoid I guess, and I know the crew work hard to clean everything but you never know. I use hand sanitizers and wash my hands at every opportunity. I take probiotics with me. I haven't gotten into wearing face masks yet but who knows! 🤣

• Like 3

On the current sailing now... which boarded directly Behind the norovirus cruise.  The staff have been amazing. 

I almost feel bad for some of them... there has been one guy, all week, doing nothing but sanitizing the coke machine next to sorrentos.  I salute you Mr. Coke machine sanitizing guy!

But seriously,  the crew are cleaning nonstop,  buttons, handrails,  etc. And they have folks with hand sanitizer,  EVERYWHERE. Also, they are handling a lot more in the food service areas... such as handing you utensils,  or pouring your beverages or coffee for you.  It slows things up just slightly,  but nothing so bad that it backs up more then a few moments.  

Thus far, have not heard of anyone falling ill this week.  So, kudos to RCI and onward to St. Marteen. 

9 hours ago, vanelli56 said:

On the current sailing now... which boarded directly Behind the norovirus cruise.  The staff have been amazing. 

I almost feel bad for some of them... there has been one guy, all week, doing nothing but sanitizing the coke machine next to sorrentos.  I salute you Mr. Coke machine sanitizing guy!

But seriously,  the crew are cleaning nonstop,  buttons, handrails,  etc. And they have folks with hand sanitizer,  EVERYWHERE. Also, they are handling a lot more in the food service areas... such as handing you utensils,  or pouring your beverages or coffee for you.  It slows things up just slightly,  but nothing so bad that it backs up more then a few moments.  

Thus far, have not heard of anyone falling ill this week.  So, kudos to RCI and onward to St. Marteen. 

That’s good to know! Thanks for the info, we are leaving Sunday on Oasis.

19 hours ago, Drock20J said:

When I emailed the CEO, he also CC'd the Oasis Master and Hotel Director, so they also got the email.

As an update, I also emailed the COO and got a thankful reply.

What's the captains email address?

We have sailed many times on ships with the "Noro Virus" and have never gotten sick.  We stay away from the elevators (we will take them occasionally at night with friends who can't take the steps), we don't touch the hand rails, as soon as we get into our room, I get the essential oils out and spray/wipe down the common areas and diffuse. We wash our hands frequently.  We do take pre and probiotics and stay very active.  I am not sure if this helps but in the past 13 years we've avoided getting it.  As a matter of fact, the last time I did get it was in 2001 when the Air Force forced me to take the flu shot.  Haven't had the shot since then and haven't gotten it.  🙂

4 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

We have sailed many times on ships with the "Noro Virus" and have never gotten sick.  We stay away from the elevators (we will take them occasionally at night with friends who can't take the steps), we don't touch the hand rails, as soon as we get into our room, I get the essential oils out and spray/wipe down the common areas and diffuse. We wash our hands frequently.  We do take pre and probiotics and stay very active.  I am not sure if this helps but in the past 13 years we've avoided getting it.  As a matter of fact, the last time I did get it was in 2001 when the Air Force forced me to take the flu shot.  Haven't had the shot since then and haven't gotten it.  🙂

You got Noro from a flu shot, or did you get the flu? 🤔

11 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I assume by "did get it" was that you got the flu after the flu shot.  Nora and the flu are totally different beasts and have nothing to do with each other.

As an FYI, there are actually three different strains of the flu (with I think a forth one that is very infrequent).  Each year, using indicators they take a guess which strain will be active for that year.  They then make up the vaccine.  If they get it right, great however all is not lost as I believe even if they get it wrong there is some additional protection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gatour said:

I assume by "did get it" was that you got the flu after the flu shot.  Nora and the flu are totally different beasts and have nothing to do with each other.

That's how I read it. Good to know it wasn't just me. 😇

1 hour ago, Trinam2 said:

That’s good to know! Thanks for the info, we are leaving Sunday on Oasis.

"Sea" you on board real soon!  🙂  Looking for a healthy, and happy cruise this time.  Finally over the flu we caught on Rhapsody.  😮 

34 minutes ago, gatour said:

As an FYI, there are actually three different strains of the flu (with I think a forth one that is very infrequent).  Each year, using indicators they take a guess which strain will be active for that year.  They then make up the vaccine.  If they get it right, great however all is not lost as I believe even if they get it wrong there is some additional protection. 

It was mostly the crew that was sick with the flu on 1/5 Rhapsody cruise we were on.  We both had the flu shot, but both still caught the flu on the ship.  Must have been the "other" strain.  Lucky us. 😞   Both really sick, but finally better now.  Was pretty bad.  

We, (myself, DH Son & daughter) survived the "Great Oasis of Noro" with flying colors.

As stated above,  the Crew and Staff need major kudos and gratitude galore. Nothing but praise for our Amazing Steward, Deen, who was compensated daily by my DH for going above and beyond in cleaning and caring for all.  We made the most of staying onboard by visiting every venue, activities and entertainment events that we could squeeze in.  Thoroughly enjoyed the ship 

We are a "washy washy" family and it is second nature to us to avoid spreading and exposing, ourselves and others, to germs.  Two of us are immunocompromised due to chronic diseases and we still did not get ill. 

Firm believe here in taking responsibility for your actions and health .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

"Sea" you on board real soon!  🙂  Looking for a healthy, and happy cruise this time.  Finally over the flu we caught on Rhapsody.  😮 

See you on Sunday, glad your feeling better! That is a major fear for me, getting sick while on vacation. Hopefully this cruise will make it up to you guys.