S class cabins which is best for balcony cabins bed or lounge near window?

Bizziecruzer

Just off the Eclipse. Our bed was next to the balcony. First cruise where we had this configuration and not sure I liked it. 

There was only about 2 feet between the foot of the bed and the wall so it seemed a bit tight every time you wanted to go out on to the balcony. The rooms seemed a bit narrow so not sure what the reverse would have been like.

We prefer the bed by the balcony.  I like having the bit of extra room by the closet.  When the bed is by the closet, it makes it a little more difficult to maneuver around to access the closet.

Wish they never designed the rooms with the closet this way.  Much prefer when it was across from the bath.

• Like 1

In all our cruises on Celebrity, we had the bed by the balcony for the first time on the Silhouette TA last Nov.  We liked it.  And, yes, I wish the closets were across from the bathroom also.  It's really awkward getting things out of them.

It’s really six of one, half dozen of the other.  We like the bed by the balcony to see out easily and because having the sofa and desk by the corridor door gives more a feeling of a living room as you first enter the cabin.  But I’ve had the other configuration and was never unhappy enough to make a pledge to always book bed by balcony.  I enjoy both.

1 hour ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Just wondering what preference people  have with regard to the bed / lounge location and you reason why? 

I tend to like the bed by the balcony for two reasons.  I like lying in bed looking out at the seas and there is more room to move getting items in/out of the closet.  Not a major issue either way.  Happy to be sailing...

• Thanks 1

I like the bed by the balcony because my sister and I split the beds, and I always take the side closest to the bathroom.  Having the couch right next to my side of the bed allows me to sort of use it as my nightstand.  Clock, Kindle, glucose monitor close at hand.  EM

We've sailed in both and prefer the bed by the balcony.  Less of an obstacle to walk around when you enter the cabin, and when you are trying to get dressed, and go to and from the closet, bathroom, etc.  Having the bed by the bath would not be a deal breaker, though.

13 hours ago, TeaBag said:

In all our cruises on Celebrity, we had the bed by the balcony for the first time on the Silhouette TA last Nov.  We liked it.  And, yes, I wish the closets were across from the bathroom also.  It's really awkward getting things out of them.

The problem with closets across from the bathroom you have about 4 doors opening into a very small hallway so I kind of like where they are now.  Just personal preference.

I usually ask my TA to contact Celebrity to verify placement.  Or you can try to contact Celebrity direct.

You might also try cruisedeckplans.com.  There is a lot of helpful info there, but I'm not sure if they are specific about bed placement.

• Thanks 1

Couldn't that all change post dry-dock? 

I thought I read where the  cabins are prebuilt boxes that are slipped out and new Edge style cabins are slipped in.  Makes sense given that they will be in drydock less than a month each ship. Nothing says the bed/sofa configuration will need to be the same post renovation.   

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

ALWAYS port side bed by balcony in a room that is only occupancy for 2. Only way I can be sure the headboard is facing forward with the movement of the ship to ensure I do not suffer from motion sickness!!!

So how can you determine which way the bed is facing?

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, blueboro said:

So how can you determine which way the bed is facing?

If you look at a port side deck plan (use deck 9 as an example) you will see icons for rooms that hold 3 or 4 people. These rooms have the bed by the bath to accommodate the pull out of the trundle bed located by the veranda. Rooms that don't have any icons, accommodate 2 people so the bed is by the veranda and the bed faces forward with the motion of the ship. 

Since the direction of the interlocking rooms is reversed on the starboard side (and not wanting to risk what I don't know), we never book starboard on the S Class. 

Hope this helps. 

DW and I both prefer the bed-by-balcony configuration. While there isn't a great deal of space between the end of the bed and the wall, we'd rather have the extra square footage near the bathroom when dressing, using the closet, etc.. That said, cabin location is more important to us, and given the choice between a well located cabin with bed-by-bathroom versus a poorly located cabin with bed-by-balcony, we would always go with the former. Fortunately, we've usually been able to book cabins giving us both a good location and bed-by-balcony.

• Like 1

Funny that balcony is the preference here but all bed by bath 1A cabins are booked for my Dec. 2020 cruise! We prefer bed by bath as that makes the room seem a bit larger to us. And we have a clear view out the balcony doors from the sofa.