No Straws but still Bottled Water

K_e_short

This is more a statement then a question.

I understand that NCL is phasing out plastic straws because they are "dangerous" to the environment.

But they are still selling bottled water packages.  Disposable water bottles are just as "dangerous".

Something to think about for all those environmentalists who are pushing for no straws. Perhaps since the water on board is clean they should get rid of bottled water entirely?

🙂

• Like 1

The bigger issue with the straws is they were going overboard and pollution the oceans which is a big hazard

The ship already has equipment to compact plastic bottles to be offloaded as recyclable waste when the ship is in port

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I understand that NCL is phasing out plastic straws because they are "dangerous" to the environment.

But they are still selling bottled water packages.  Disposable water bottles are just as "dangerous".

Something to think about for all those environmentalists who are pushing for no straws. Perhaps since the water on board is clean they should get rid of bottled water entirely?

🙂

The difference is that plastic water bottles can be recycled, where as straws usually end up in landfills because items smaller than two by two inches either falls through the machinery that sorts the recycling or clogs the machines up.  

• Like 2

While you are correct that the appearance of targeting plastic straws while not bottles or cups or anything else plastic based is silly.... however, it has to start somewhere however small or trivial it may seem. Doing nothing solves nothing but any movement has the chance to encourage momentum for bigger changes.

Like Kris Kringle said to the Winter Warlock ....   

Winter:  It's so difficult to... [sighs] really change.

Kris: Difficult? [chuckles] Why, why look here. Changing from bad to good's as easy as...taking your first step.

[Chorus]
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor.

You put one foot in front of the other

And soon you'll be walking out the door.

You never will get where you're going
If ya never get up on your feet.

Come on, there's a good tail wind blowin'

A fast walking man is hard to beat

Admit it..... most people started singing the chorus.  But my point is.... change starts small!! 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

🙂

Exactly:

No straws = money saver

bottled water = money maker

NCL is run by bean-counters, not environmentalists

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ukbecky said:

Exactly:

No straws = money saver

You do realize that banning of plastic straws is industry wide.  Most major cruise lines have banned or have plans to ban plastic straws, the major hotel chains are banning plastic straws and the airlines are banning them as well.  It is an industry wide environmental effort.  There is a lot more to do, but it is a good start.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

🙂

Your logic is flawed. The straws are light weight and blow overboard fairly easily. The straws look like small bait fish if they get into the water and are eaten by various sealife. The result is that the sea life dies.

The bottles don't have the same impact because they don't go overboard as easily, and in the water they don't look like bait fish.

BTW NCL is rapidly adding biodegradable straws to all the ships. They are a paper product that break down within about 30 days.

14 hours ago, ukbecky said:

Exactly:

No straws = money saver

100% incorrect logic, because NCL is not doing away with straws just replacing plastic with biodegradable versions.

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I'm certainly good with that.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 11:42 AM, Outerdog said:

OP's point was virtue signaling which doesn't necessarily depend on logic.

Or that bottled water is mostly a scam in the first place.. except when you venture to Mexico 🤢🤢

On 1/17/2019 at 8:48 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

I already have a stainless steel set. NCL could sell the same in the gift shop (with a NCL logo, of course). It's not a bad idea. 👍

It's a great idea. I suggested exactly that to Andy Stuart after my 2018 cruise. I'd used stainless steel straws all week, and had 50 people ask about them. Andy thought it was a great idea, and said he'd discuss with marketing. I then got another email back from him about 2 months later telling me they were moving forward with the idea.  I've not yet seen or heard anything about it.

• Like 2

V In the world of  ecology and sustainability I offer you this: plastic straws are something that are very easy to replace. You can do without them, or use paper straws. FYI, a paper straw that will sustain a drink Without falling apart cost 3 to 4 times the amount of a plastic straw. We are talking fractions of pennies per straw, but it does add up. So to use paper straws instead of plastic is a tripling or quadrupling  expense for any company,  whether it be a cruise line, fast food chain, mom-and-pop restaurant, etc. It is a good move for the environment.

Plastic bottles, on the other hand, are not easily replaced. There is, as of this time, no great way to cost-effectively replace the plastic bottles that society has been taught to crave. Here in my house we drink tapwater, when we go out we refill our bottles. Do we ever use plastic  disposable bottles? Sure we do. Sometimes my husband uses them a little more than I like him to,  if he’s in a hurry it’s easier to just grab a disposable plastic bottle full of water from the garage. For myself, I don’t do this but I don’t judge those who do. 

Hopefully in our lifetime there will be some new technology that gives us the bottled water and soft drinks that people crave in some form of ecologically sensible fashion,  so that we can better support mother earth in the future. Until that time, I applaud the efforts of businesses who make the cuts that they can. Paper straws are excellent start. No straws at all is even better. 

Edited by LinnieRed

Just off the Bliss earlier this month.  They are not handing out those paper straws freely.  We had a couple seated next to us in a restaurant that asked for a straw and were denied.   They were not drinking frozen drinks.

We ordered a couple of frozen drinks during the week but only once did they come with the paper straws.   We didn't ask for them as we had brought our own along.   Just surprised they denied someone who had asked as they clearly had those new paper straws onboard.

Moral of this story--- bring your own if you really want a straw. 

Edited by Sand and Seas
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:38 AM, zqvol said:

Your logic is flawed. The straws are light weight and blow overboard fairly easily. The straws look like small bait fish if they get into the water and are eaten by various sealife. The result is that the sea life dies.

The bottles don't have the same impact because they don't go overboard as easily, and in the water they don't look like bait fish.

BTW NCL is rapidly adding biodegradable straws to all the ships. They are a paper product that break down within about 30 days.

Your right.i take a straw cut it in thirds put a gold hook thru it and fish do die because of it.but boy do they taste good.

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

I already have a stainless steel set. NCL could sell the same in the gift shop (with a NCL logo, of course). It's not a bad idea. 👍

I just bought a set of metal straws with silicon  for our upcoming trip too.  We were on the Breakaway in December and it was hard to drink those fru-fru drinks without a straw!  I found myself missing straws for the slushie drinks, so we are gonna metal-straw it this time.