Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

4 minutes ago, lujaha said:

Has anyone seen the pics of the Virgin ship?  Outside cabin has some sort of sofa bed that converts at night.  Maybe the ship will appeal to younger clientelle, but can't see it appealing to your average cruiser.

The tattoo parlour and Rock Star suites that include guitars and amplifiers would eliminate most classic cruisers... 

They are aiming at rich youngsters, counts me out on both... 

Andy 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

The tattoo parlour and Rock Star suites that include guitars and amplifiers would eliminate most classic cruisers... 

They are aiming at rich youngsters, counts me out on both... 

Andy 

I heard Kieth Richards will be doing the Maiden sailaway.Count me in if he was,lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lujaha said:

Has anyone seen the pics of the Virgin ship?  Outside cabin has some sort of sofa bed that converts at night.  Maybe the ship will appeal to younger clientelle, but can't see it appealing to your average cruiser.

They certainly look a bit different:

https://www.virginholidays.co.uk/holiday-types/cruise/cruise-lines/virgin-voyages/ships/scarlet-lady/cabins

7 minutes ago, forestc11nno said:

Does anyone know what the blue screens are on the front balcony cabins ? thinking of booking one.

I booked an aft cabin on her.  I had considered getting a cabin at the front, but worried about how windy it would be.  Be interesting to hear from someone after they have been on her. 

I don't really get why they would put balcony cabins facing forward on a ship.  When at sea, I would think they could be unusable half the time!  I have been on the forward-facing 'public' balconies on Oriana & Aurora when the ship is moving and even in warmer weather the wind can make it uncomfortable.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I don't really get why they would put balcony cabins facing forward on a ship.  When at sea, I would think they could be unusable half the time!  I have been on the forward-facing 'public' balconies on Oriana & Aurora when the ship is moving and even in warmer weather the wind can make it uncomfortable.

That's a good point, I think we will go for another balcony less windy, just thought the views would be amazing.

I’ve not seen anything posted about this since the float out so apologies if I’ve missed it. But I’ve noticed that in between the mid section being taken back into the shed and the float out a few weeks back, they have taken away the lower walkway that was originally planned and then initially added onto Iona. The only other ship in the class I’ve seen without this walkway is Mardi Gras for carnival. This is a great idea for onboard experience I think by them seemingly making the good choice to open up views from inside the atrium by taking away the walkway on the lifeboat deck while retaining it for the promenade which is the best configuration I think out of all the ships. Does anyone else have thoughts/input into the walkway vanishing ha.  P.s. sooooo excited to see her for realz in a few months. Yay (I got all pics from google) 🚢😀🙏👍🥳

B1F6454B-40F3-4556-ABA7-F1047E75F752.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akbrown1972 said:

Any ideas about the rooms on the 17th floor? Only 15 rooms on that Floor. Are they an add on to make more money. Are they good rooms 

There are usually popular rooms around the lido decks and high up. 

I would be happy enough if I was allocated one of these, a few steps from the Crows Nest.. 

Andy 

13 hours ago, akbrown1972 said:

Any ideas about the rooms on the 17th floor? Only 15 rooms on that Floor. Are they an add on to make more money. Are they good rooms 

They will be as good internally as any of the cabins on board.  There are however a couple of things to consider. They are very high up and forward, so you do need to consider how good a sailor you are - or are not.  If you are prone to motion sickness, their position means they move a bit more in high seas or windy weather, especially side to side or if she corkscrews.  Also, they are underneath a deck area so there is a possibility of noise from the deck above when they are cleaning or setting out sun loungers.

I found this 50 minute documentary about AIDAnova on YouTube, which you may have seen. Since (apart from the bow design) it's essentially the same as Iona apart from a few design details I think it's relevant to the thread title. I don't think I've seen a reference to it in the thread (which I've been following from the start) so I thought I'd share.

AidaNova construction

There's a lot of interesting detail in the documentary about the construction, engines, fitout etc. I enjoyed watching it.

Photos from Meyer Werft, with google translation.

Yesterday we tested the marine evacuation system, MES, at IONA for P & O Cruises yesterday. As part of the ship evacuation system, it is used complementary to lifeboats. An MES is more space-saving compared to lifeboats.

87454321_2517814011815015_4646553851426504704_o.jpg

87456336_2517814028481680_1415407481714114560_o.jpg

88174011_2517813998481683_3534467491415719936_o.jpg

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I’ve never seen anything like that before. Would it be a vertical drop through the chute? 😳

Not quite vertical but fairly steep, we watched a test take place on a Celebrity ship a few years ago. Most of the modern cruise lines have these systems nowadays  they are housed in big white painted square housings on the prom deck.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not quite vertical but fairly steep, we watched a test take place on a Celebrity ship a few years ago. Most of the modern cruise lines have these systems nowadays  they are housed in big white painted square housings on the prom deck.

Oh my goodness, I would have to be forcibly shoved down it 😳 

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Oh my goodness, I would have to be forcibly shoved down it 😳 

I believe that these would be mainly used for crew, but I imagine they would ensure that passengers were young and fully fit before they were asked to use one of these.

• Like 1