Question about VOOM packages

EydieG

We will be on the Enchantment in a little over a week.  In the past we never needed to check to see if we had any texts, so it wasn't an issue.  Now due to business contacts we may be receiving texts and will need to check them.  Also would like to check email.  That's it, no streaming or surfing the web or social media.  This will just be on one device.  I'm seeing a VOOM package for $12.99 per day and it says share pictures and surf the web, then another package that is $14.99 per day that says video chat, texting and e-mail.  Thoughts on which one I should choose? 

Thanks!

Followup question...

When it says "one device" does that mean just one at a time ?  If my husbands checks his IPad email and then logs off and I go in using the same login on mine, will that work?  As long as we do not try at the same time, is it unlimited use for the per day price per login?

Thanks

15 hours ago, DiamondDiva said:

Followup question...

When it says "one device" does that mean just one at a time ?  If my husbands checks his IPad email and then logs off and I go in using the same login on mine, will that work?  As long as we do not try at the same time, is it unlimited use for the per day price per login?

Thanks

Correct.  

My wife and I get the two device package, however we switch between devices, we are using at anyone time.

4 minutes ago, kcmrlitz said:

Is the $12.99 a day a per person in the stateroom?  Can I just get it for one device for myself?   Just curious and sorry to be jumping in on your thread 🙂

Thanks!

The VOOM prices have nothing to do with staterooms.  The price is per device (or devices if you buy a multi-device package).  In other words, you can buy just for yourself.

something to keep in mind....last year, we used imessaging (apple) to communicate on board.  My brother had a voom package and so did I.  If I did not keep my phone active, meaning it went to the black screen, I would get booted from wifi for inactivity.  So I would miss messages unless I intentionally reconnected to Royal Wifi.  So just keep that in mind if you are waiting for messages.  You have to keep checking your phone.  You can't rely on the message to just come through.

1 hour ago, slyster said:

If I did not keep my phone active, meaning it went to the black screen, I would get booted from wifi for inactivity.  So I would miss messages unless I intentionally reconnected to Royal Wifi.  So just keep that in mind if you are waiting for messages.  You have to keep checking your phone.  You can't rely on the message to just come through.

That is ship specific - it doesn't work like that on all ships.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

The VOOM prices have nothing to do with staterooms.  The price is per device (or devices if you buy a multi-device package).  In other words, you can buy just for yourself.

Isn't the pricing per logins / device at a single time (only be logged into 1 device at a time)?

I have used multiple devices at different times on a single device plan in the past.

3 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Isn't the pricing per logins / device at a single time (only be logged into 1 device at a time)?

I have used multiple devices at different times on a single device plan in the past.

Correct.

They could list the options as "per simultaneous device(s) logged in", but that would probably create more questions.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:37 PM, EydieG said:

We will be on the Enchantment in a little over a week.  In the past we never needed to check to see if we had any texts, so it wasn't an issue.  Now due to business contacts we may be receiving texts and will need to check them.  Also would like to check email.  That's it, no streaming or surfing the web or social media.  This will just be on one device.  I'm seeing a VOOM package for $12.99 per day and it says share pictures and surf the web, then another package that is $14.99 per day that says video chat, texting and e-mail.  Thoughts on which one I should choose? 

Thanks!

Keep in mind that (most) texts are via cell tower (separate charges) and emails are via internet (ship's wifi).  

CHECK WITH YOUR CELL SERVICE PROVIDER to get factual information about what kind of fees you're looking at.  For example, cell phone calls through the ship's tower are often around $3/minute, even if you don't answer them and they go to voicemail. 

If you're going to have your phone turned on and receiving texts, you're also going to be receiving phone calls (even if just the spam calls about getting a back brace from Medicare or renewing your non-existent car warranty), so you'll rack up charges with your cell provider for texts and calls in addition to the fee you'll have already paid to RCI for wifi.  (I have heard that Apple devices will text via wifi when cell coverage isn't adequate, but I have an Android and can't confirm.)  And if you have your phone turned on in port, you may be subject to roaming charges and higher call rates there, too, depending on your plan.  

If you can restrict your business communications to emails, you can put your phone in Airplane Mode (which cuts off contact with the cell towers, so messages/calls/voicemails don't go through until you turn off Airplane mode) and only have the RCI fee for wifi.  

19 hours ago, slyster said:

something to keep in mind....last year, we used imessaging (apple) to communicate on board.  My brother had a voom package and so did I.  If I did not keep my phone active, meaning it went to the black screen, I would get booted from wifi for inactivity.  So I would miss messages unless I intentionally reconnected to Royal Wifi.  So just keep that in mind if you are waiting for messages.  You have to keep checking your phone.  You can't rely on the message to just come through.

If you use other apps that have notifications, your phone will stay active in the background and keep you signed in that way unless you specifically have it set up differently.  For example, my Facebook and Gmail apps are constantly "checking in" with the servers, so my wifi has stayed active on my last several cruises.  

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Keep in mind that (most) texts are via cell tower (separate charges) and emails are via internet (ship's wifi).  

CHECK WITH YOUR CELL SERVICE PROVIDER to get factual information about what kind of fees you're looking at.  For example, cell phone calls through the ship's tower are often around $3/minute, even if you don't answer them and they go to voicemail. 

If you're going to have your phone turned on and receiving texts, you're also going to be receiving phone calls (even if just the spam calls about getting a back brace from Medicare or renewing your non-existent car warranty), so you'll rack up charges with your cell provider for texts and calls in addition to the fee you'll have already paid to RCI for wifi.  (I have heard that Apple devices will text via wifi when cell coverage isn't adequate, but I have an Android and can't confirm.)  And if you have your phone turned on in port, you may be subject to roaming charges and higher call rates there, too, depending on your plan.  

If you can restrict your business communications to emails, you can put your phone in Airplane Mode (which cuts off contact with the cell towers, so messages/calls/voicemails don't go through until you turn off Airplane mode) and only have the RCI fee for wifi.  

Except that most smart phones and most carriers (all the major ones do), support WiFi calling.

With WiFi calling you can make calls and send/receive texts with only a wifi (no cellular) connection.

You have to enable and setup WiFi calling while you are connected to your cellular network, so do so BEFORE leaving home.

MANY threads on this.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Except that most smart phones and most carriers (all the major ones do), support WiFi calling.

With WiFi calling you can make calls and send/receive texts with only a wifi (no cellular) connection.

You have to enable and setup WiFi calling while you are connected to your cellular network, so do so BEFORE leaving home.

MANY threads on this.

Which is why I said to talk to their cell provider (or research on the website or whatever) and not just "assume" that buying Voom took care of everything.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

MANY threads on this.

I actually did a test of Wifi calling before we set sail.  ZOOM Wifi calling worked fine except there was one text we did not receive from a neighbor while we were able to send her a text.  All the telephone calls we made with Wifi calling worked fine.

It has nothing to do with ZOOM.   If there are specific people you need to receive texts from I would run tests with them prior to sailing.

I highly doubt you will get accurate information from the cellular carrier you have.

17 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I actually did a test of Wifi calling before we set sail.  ZOOM Wifi calling worked fine except there was one text we did not receive from a neighbor while we were able to send her a text.  All the telephone calls we made with Wifi calling worked fine.

It has nothing to do with ZOOM.   If there are specific people you need to receive texts from I would run tests with them prior to sailing.

I highly doubt you will get accurate information from the cellular carrier you have.

If you are not getting texts through wifi calling, I would be calling your carrier to see what the heck is going on.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

If you are not getting texts through wifi calling, I would be calling your carrier to see what the heck is going on.

The standard disclaimer on the carrier website is that if you are connecting to another carrier: your results may vary.

By the way, text is not a guaranteed delivery service.  Text messages can and do get lost and/or delayed.  It is generally reliable, but not guaranteed.  This is true whether using WiFi or not.   

On 1/26/2019 at 6:43 AM, brillohead said:

I keep my IPhone in airplane mode and I’m able to send iMessages to anyone with an Iphone.  I also use the FB messenger app since I can send messages and make calls or video chat to anyone regardless if it’s an IPhone or Android. 

On 1/27/2019 at 9:30 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I keep my IPhone in airplane mode and I’m able to send iMessages to anyone with an Iphone.  I also use the FB messenger app since I can send messages and make calls or video chat to anyone regardless if it’s an IPhone or Android. 

iMessage is not a text message or cellular based, it is internet based.

Same with FaceBook Messenger, WhatsAppp, Viber, Wechat, Google Hangouts, etc.

But all those require both the sender and receiver to have the app or an iPhone.

With WiFi calling, you can call or text, just like connected through cellular, but with only an wifi/internet connection.

• Like 1

As Bob said, you only need one single device package if you have multiple people and devices but only want to use one at a time.  This can even be shared by multiple cabins.  But if you are going to buy a two device package the online purchase system will display all people in the cabin.  If you select two people in the cabin you will be buying TWO two-device packages for a total of four devices on line simultaneously.  If you need more than one connection it is usually cheaper to have one person buy a two-device package than two separate people buying one-device packages.

Also look at the combo packages with drinks.  For example, we generally buy one soda package and one soda plus VOOM and share the single device package.