I am booked on the Mardi Gras!!!

Jamman54

2 hours ago, misterkevin said:

This looks like a photo from the side of the ship. The Havana area is supposed to be at the front of the ship. Am I missing something? Maybe there will be both "glorified hot tubs" AND a relaxation pool?

On MARDI GRAS the Havana area is on the starboard side of the ship.  The adult only Serenity area with pool is up top and forward.  

5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This re-inforces my suspicion that the really good cabins have all been pre-snagged by PVPs/TAs, and are not available to the general public trying to book themselves.

Which is a shame, because up until now, I was not aware that Carnival allowed that - the advantages to having a PVP/TA was for other reasons, like a bit more advanced notice, or that personal touch in making the reservation and any changes (i.e. delegating the leg work), and maybe some extra OBC.

@Jamman54, I know you can't say who you use, but is it a Carnival PVP, or an external agency TA?

I have used the same Carnival PVP for over 10 years and consider him a friend. Unlike TA's, PVP's can't block cabins for themselves. Of course they can see all the cabins that are available for every sailing, and not just the 10 per category that we can see on the website. For some reason the website only shows the Premium Extended Balconies that face forward or aft, and not the ones on the sides. :classic_unsure: 

BTW, my PVP has told me he would not recommend or steer anyone towards a forward facing extended balcony. :classic_cool:

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, misterkevin said:

This looks like a photo from the side of the ship. The Havana area is supposed to be at the front of the ship. Am I missing something? Maybe there will be both "glorified hot tubs" AND a relaxation pool?

Hi Kevin!

The Havana area wraps from the front, to the port and starboard sides, and ends where the bulge for the central area of the ship and Atrium are.

I discovered something interesting while I was disecting images of the Mardi Gras renders and deck plans, though. What’s more is that it *might* mean that the Havana area will still get its hot tubs, in addition to the pool that is already present on the deck plans.

If you look at the renders for the Summer Landing at the back of the ship you will see two, above deck, hot tubs on the starboard side. These same hot tubs are not present on current deck plans for the ship. If we’re really lucky, this may also be the case for the Havana area!

I guess this just means that I’m going to need to wait patiently to see what further details are revealed!

420FE33F-A5D7-4FAC-A8CA-DDFA614668F5.jpeg

AFD19621-F5B4-4AAC-A0D6-8969230115CC.jpeg

Edited by Dylobs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My goodness, how time flies !! My very first cruise was on the 'old' Mardi Gras (1990) on a single cruiser, on the Rivera deck and now the new CCL Mardi Gras makes the one I salied on lokk like a tug boat:classic_wink: Not sure if my wife would like the new MG(size-wise) because she was totally overwhelmed when we sailed on the NCL  Oasis (her first mega ship cruise) and it seems like the new MG is in that category ! I really enjoyed the mega size ships but that's just me. I know some don't like the 'floating malls' ships and understand that. To each his own. I wish so much we could afford the Viking Ocean line but at the late stage of life and on a fixed income I would imagine even a lowest deck could be very expensive

Mac 

We are considering booking a Deluxe Vista Suite (LS).  I am not sure about looking out over the pool area, but DH is sold on one.  Has anyone done research on them?  I understand that the Horizon aft looks out over the Havana pool.  Has anyone stayed in one of those cabins?  We are looking at deck 12 or higher.  I am wondering if the LS cabins are identical in size on the different decks.  Any feedback is appreciated! 

On 3/1/2019 at 5:08 PM, Jamman54 said:

I have used the same Carnival PVP for over 10 years and consider him a friend. Unlike TA's, PVP's can't block cabins for themselves. Of course they can see all the cabins that are available for every sailing, and not just the 10 per category that we can see on the website. For some reason the website only shows the Premium Extended Balconies that face forward or aft, and not the ones on the sides. :classic_unsure: 

BTW, my PVP has told me he would not recommend or steer anyone towards a forward facing extended balcony. :classic_cool:

Hmm, well, we're booked into one anyway, and I guess we'll see what it is like.

If I could switch to a side bulge balcony, I might consider it, but alas, they still don't show up for me.

51 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hmm, well, we're booked into one anyway, and I guess we'll see what it is like.

If I could switch to a side bulge balcony, I might consider it, but alas, they still don't show up for me.

I would be concerned about the wind especially when the ship is underway. You would have to call and ask about the side facing extended balconies. (8J's & 8K's). I haven't seen them either on the website. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jamman54 said:

So far, that is what we are booked in. I'm keeping an eye open to see if any other room categories interest us. We just loved the idea of a large balcony, and we are doing the true inaugural in northern Europe, so figure the sail aways in each port would be nice from that area. 

12 hours ago, BTHodgeman said:

So far, that is what we are booked in. I'm keeping an eye open to see if any other room categories interest us. We just loved the idea of a large balcony, and we are doing the true inaugural in northern Europe, so figure the sail aways in each port would be nice from that area. 

After some research, I found this image of a deck 17 forward-facing balcony on AIDAnova (same overall design).  It was on a social media page that I follow, and I asked the poster about how windy it was.  They responded that it was a "little windy" when sailing but "only in the front area."  It looks like the photo was taken with a "fish-eye" lens, so it probably skews the dimensions a little, but, even so, it looks sizable.

As I had conjectured before, I was thinking (and hoping) 47689658_2106010596364386_2267537300387366307_n.thumb.jpg.fac7ed51e1573133b437ec044a572d4e.jpgthat the partitions would cut down on the wind factor.  Of course, we can't be 100% certain that the Mardi Gras will look exactly like this, but it gives a good jumping-off point.

3 hours ago, CruzCrazy said:

After some research, I found this image of a deck 17 forward-facing balcony on AIDAnova (same overall design).  It was on a social media page that I follow, and I asked the poster about how windy it was.  They responded that it was a "little windy" when sailing but "only in the front area."  It looks like the photo was taken with a "fish-eye" lens, so it probably skews the dimensions a little, but, even so, it looks sizable.

As I had conjectured before, I was thinking (and hoping) 47689658_2106010596364386_2267537300387366307_n.thumb.jpg.fac7ed51e1573133b437ec044a572d4e.jpgthat the partitions would cut down on the wind factor.  Of course, we can't be 100% certain that the Mardi Gras will look exactly like this, but it gives a good jumping-off point.

Thanks for posting this!

This is somewhat re-assuring.  But to be honest, we'd probably stick with our cabin selection regardless, because it will be different and "new".  If we don't like it as much as other experiences, we won't do it again.  As long as the balcony sliding door closes with a reasonably good seal (no whistling!), I think we'll be fine when sleeping, and if it is truly too windy to sit out there for very long, we'll just go up on deck to get some air.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

11 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Thanks for posting this!

This is somewhat re-assuring.  But to be honest, we'd probably stick with our cabin selection regardless, because it will be different and "new".  If we don't like it as much as other experiences, we not do it again.  As long as the balcony sliding door closes with a reasonably good seal (no whistling!), I think we'll be fine when sleeping, and if it is truly too windy to sit out there for very long, we'll just go up on deck to get some air.

I feel basically the same.  Ours is a spa cabin (another first for us).  I booked under the ES rate, so I can't go down to an 8J or 8K hump balcony (mine is an 8V).  Probably the only thing I'd upgrade to would be a spa suite, but I don't think that's going to happen.  I was also thinking about an ocean suite and a spa pass, but the offer would have to be pretty good to give up a "new" style of cabin, since, like you, I like trying out new and different. 

I did feel a little better after finding that photo and getting a response from someone who actually had real-world experience with a cabin like this.

I've been doing more research on the forward-facing balcony cabins, and  I found this YouTube video of a Princess forward-facing balcony.  Of course, this one is "obstructed" because the railing is not glass, but I think you get a pretty good idea of what a forward-facing balcony might be like.  I'm starting to feel better about my choice of a spa forward-facing balcony on Mardi Gras. 

If you want to skip the rest, you can fast-forward to about 3:16 in the video where he shows and talks about the balcony.

Jamman, I just booked a balcony on the Mardi Gras for the Dec. 6  , 2020 sailing out of Port Canaveral and I am so excited about the new style of cabins. I can’t wait to read your review of your sailing !! It looks like an amazing ship !!!

We just booked Spa Balcony Deck 17 , JH said will be a Spa Elevator there , very concerned about noise from above ..especially when they clean the deck early in the morning .

May change location ..

Does anyone know if and where a coffee shop is ,deck plans are challenging .

21 hours ago, teacher34 said:

Jamman, I just booked a balcony on the Mardi Gras for the Dec. 6  , 2020 sailing out of Port Canaveral and I am so excited about the new style of cabins. I can’t wait to read your review of your sailing !! It looks like an amazing ship !!!

We can't wait to do this review! :classic_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We just booked Spa Balcony Deck 17 , JH said will be a Spa Elevator there , very concerned about noise from above ..especially when they clean the deck early in the morning .

May change location ..

Does anyone know if and where a coffee shop is ,deck plans are challenging .

Java Blue is on Deck 6 mid ship. :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

The first cruise that my wife and I took was on the original Mardi Gras, a 4 day to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral, so we had to book the new one. We are doing the 15 day Southern Caribbean leaving from NYC on Sept. 30, 2020 and returning to Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Celtic Cop said:

Just booked the New Years cruise leaving on Dec 26, 2020! I am beyond excited!

New Years eve on any Carnival ship is something to behold, to be on the first on the Mardi Gras will be spectacular.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hose A De RR said:

The first cruise that my wife and I took was on the original Mardi Gras, a 4 day to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral, so we had to book the new one. We are doing the 15 day Southern Caribbean leaving from NYC on Sept. 30, 2020 and returning to Port Canaveral.

Congrats! See you on board! :classic_biggrin: