Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

4 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Any scuttlebutt on a completion date? Launch date? 

Her river conveyance should be later this month, then sea trials, then handover to RCI sometime after that. Launch date depends on the COVID situation, but RCI had planned to have her available by April.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I only started to follow this thread since booking a cruise on the Odyssey.  So I am wondering since this is a new build, does anyone know if the medical facilities have been expanded, updated, revised, etc. to include isolation rooms in case of COVID, etc.?  I am curious as there are so many new requirements the CDC is putting out there for the ships.

20 minutes ago, ecslady said:

So I am wondering since this is a new build, does anyone know if the medical facilities have been expanded, updated, revised, etc. to include isolation rooms in case of COVID, etc.? 

We likely won't know till the first few sailings and even then, who knows what the original plan was compared to what was built. Unlikely RCI would invest the money on deck with the medical facility, things are probably pretty tight down there already. More likely, they'll make up something in existing cabins temporarily or even more likely, sail her in locations without the CDC mandate or just wait till the mandate goes away.

15 hours ago, ecslady said:

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before, but I only started to follow this thread since booking a cruise on the Odyssey.  So I am wondering since this is a new build, does anyone know if the medical facilities have been expanded, updated, revised, etc. to include isolation rooms in case of COVID, etc.?  I am curious as there are so many new requirements the CDC is putting out there for the ships.

The only thing you need is to buy/rent the testing machines. Quarantine quarters can be easily separated by using the fire doors. That´s how they do it on the currently running ship. A segment (let´s say forward cabins) is closed down with the fire doors.

steamboats

I have a question about the cabana-looking things on the deck above (and maybe on?) the pool deck.  Is this new for Royal, or are they on any other ship?  How many will there be?  Assuming they will be a pay-for thing to do, and am wondering what the cost might be...they look perfect for a sea day, chair-hogs be darned!

Thanks!  Crossing fingers for our New Years 2021 sailing!

On 2/11/2021 at 11:31 PM, Biker19 said:

We likely won't know till the first few sailings and even then, who knows what the original plan was compared to what was built. Unlikely RCI would invest the money on deck with the medical facility, things are probably pretty tight down there already. More likely, they'll make up something in existing cabins temporarily or even more likely, sail her in locations without the CDC mandate or just wait till the mandate goes away.

it's a German-built ship.  It is almost impossible to make changes to a ship-in-progress that aren't included in the original technical drawings.  The ship was designed pre-COVID, and German shipbuilders absolutely will not make any changes last minute.  This ship will be built 110% as originally planned.  it's hard to get a doorknob put on the other side of a door, after it's been committed to, much less redesign an entire facility.  There's zero chance there are ANY design changes post-COVID on OY.

7 hours ago, miraflores said:

it's a German-built ship.  It is almost impossible to make changes to a ship-in-progress that aren't included in the original technical drawings.  The ship was designed pre-COVID, and German shipbuilders absolutely will not make any changes last minute.  This ship will be built 110% as originally planned.  it's hard to get a doorknob put on the other side of a door, after it's been committed to, much less redesign an entire facility.  There's zero chance there are ANY design changes post-COVID on OY.

So if Royal wanted to put in a change order to modify some interior space and pay for those changes, Meyer would not allow it? 

21 hours ago, miraflores said:

it's a German-built ship.

So what do any changes have to do with the fact it´s built in Germany? Would be the same for Chantièrs de L´Atlantique or Fincantieri. And Meyer Turku of course.

Once again... there is no need for enlarged medical facilities or anything like that. There might be some smaller changes like more touchless techniques or more desinfection stations or a different air filter technology.

And yes, the ship has been planned pre-Covid and bigger changes are pretty hard to implement. The parts are delivered by other companies and prefabricated. So it´s not easy to change a major area during construction.

I don´t think that Meyer would not do any changes as long as they get paid for it.

steamboats

Any changes required for cruising in a pandemic have to be made workable for the existing fleet.  Existing spaces will be adapted on existing ships to satisfy this requirement and make it work.  The same changes can be applied to Odyssey compared to her sisters in the class to accomplish the same goal without expensive change orders.

Sure, a change order could in theory be requested but they can't make major structural changes, these blocks were built many months ago and they can't change the basic structure at this point.  

On existing ships spaces in close proximity to the medical facility can have their use changed.  A store room maybe becomes a treatment room.  Sleeping quarters for medical crew next to the medical facility might become patient wards.  Crew quarters nearby are assigned to the additional medical personnel that will now be on board.  These types of changes don't require moving walls or adding doors and they can be applied on existing ships and to Odyssey relatively easily.  

Completely reengineering the medical center and adjacent spaces isn't required to make it work.  That would be costly and might not even be possible at this point.  

• Like 1

We are in unusual times and to say that “ the ship will be built 110% as originally planned” may be unlikely for those ships still in the yard pre delivery.  As both @steamboats and @twangster noted, the ship was planned way before COVID and major structural changes are challenging at this juncture. But some interior reconfiguration or usage could be achieved to adapt to changing times. 

By the way, to pick on the reference to “German-built ship”, Meyer IMO has built some of nicest cruise ships out there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

We are in unusual times and to say that “ the ship will be built 110% as originally planned” may be unlikely for those ships still in the yard pre delivery.  As both @steamboats and @twangster noted, the ship was planned way before COVID and major structural changes are challenging at this juncture. But some interior reconfiguration or usage could be achieved to adapt to changing times. 

By the way, to pick on the reference to “German-built ship”, Meyer IMO has built some of nicest cruise ships out there.

I think there might be a misunderstanding.  Meyer has always built amazing ships.  I'm just saying, as someone who has worked on multiple Meyer ships of the same class...even small changes in design on later ships are pretty much near impossible to get approved beyond the original design phase, because the German yards stick very true to the original designs...flaws and all.  If there is something that is an issue on the first ship in the class...it'll stay until the last ship in the class is built.  It's just something we've all become used to on their ships.  The only way you can get changes, is to catch them early enough so that they can be incorporated into final drawings.  There were many changes to SC that will make it onto OY, but nothing post-COVID, as the final drawings were complete by that point.

1 hour ago, miraflores said:

If there is something that is an issue on the first ship in the class...it'll stay until the last ship in the class is built.  It's just something we've all become used to on their ships. 

Sounds to me like that is not an issue with the shipyard but perhaps an issue that those changes that someone on board suggested weren’t deemed to be an issue by the person at HQ that has to approve any of the changes. 

Staff always have great ideas about changes that would make things better, unfortunately many of them get shot  down for one reason or another and never end up being incorporated in future versions.  

Very similar to new policies coming out and shipboard staff blame Miami when they are the only ship with this new policy.  Easy to blame someone who no one has access to.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sounds to me like that is not an issue with the shipyard but perhaps an issue that those changes that someone on board suggested weren’t deemed to be an issue by the person at HQ that has to approve any of the changes. 

Staff always have great ideas about changes that would make things better, unfortunately many of them get shot  down for one reason or another and never end up being incorporated in future versions.  

Very similar to new policies coming out and shipboard staff blame Miami when they are the only ship with this new policy.  Easy to blame someone who no one has access to.  

I understand what you're saying, but this is not the case with the QN-Class Meyer Ships.  The original plans are adhered to with an iron fist by the yard.  Even minor changes are almost impossible.  I have worked on multiple QN-Class Meyer Ships, and I know many of the startup teams personally.  This is absolutely common knowledge among all of us.  I do agree that your argument can sometimes be the case, but I can assure you it is not the case here...with absolute certainty.  This yard sticks to original plans...come hell or high water.  Also, QN and now OV have had (OV will have in 2 weeks) a post-COVID drydock, and no COVID alterations to the ship are planned. 

On another topic...earlier in the thread, I had asked anyone if they knew where the pool deck screen was going to be on OY, because it didn't show up in the photos I had seen of the pool deck.  I spoke to someone on the ship yesterday, and it's been confirmed that the pool deck screen is going to be forward of the middle deck 14 pool, against the front wall (where the windows are on OV/AN/QN).  They're also making the LED screen in SeaPlex larger, so that sports broadcasts can be played up there for Playmakers customers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miraflores said:

On another topic...earlier in the thread, I had asked anyone if they knew where the pool deck screen was going to be on OY, because it didn't show up in the photos I had seen of the pool deck.  I spoke to someone on the ship yesterday, and it's been confirmed that the pool deck screen is going to be forward of the middle deck 14 pool, against the front wall (where the windows are on OV/AN/QN).  They're also making the LED screen in SeaPlex larger, so that sports broadcasts can be played up there for Playmakers customers.

In this spot (red X) ?

20210216_044638.thumb.jpg.cc18645b114441e1b3972d837cc5ef41.jpg

20210216_044429.thumb.jpg.59677f6bc5cc3f15b0eac64595924c92.jpg

20210216_044502.thumb.jpg.357841c19be6393a34b7b6fd255a3109.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, miraflores said:

So they're not hanging it from the North Star? 😜

shrek.thumb.jpg.14ff1a5d8b9df8756d4ad8d66a2aae5c.jpg

• Haha 6