Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

4 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

A stupid question, or at least one that shows my stupidity...  During this river conveyance, does the ship use any of it's engines or is it being pushed/pulled by the tug boats entirely?

The ship drives on it‘s own power and is driven by a local Captain. The tugs are just standing by and provide assistance and support when needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

The ship drives on it‘s own power and is driven by a local Captain. The tugs are just standing by and provide assistance and support when needed.

The ship will go down the Ems River backwards using its own power while being assisted by tugs.  A river pilot will join the RCI staff on the bridge.  RCI will have their best captains on the bridge.  The backout down the Ems is always done in March when the water levels are highest.  Going down the river backwards let’s the Azipods put more water underneath the hull. This is one of the most intricate and tricky maneuvers ever attempted.  The clearance under the ships hull, when going down the Ems, is measured in centimeters.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The ship will go down the Ems River backwards using its own power while being assisted by tugs.  A river pilot will join the RCI staff on the bridge.  RCI will have their best captains on the bridge.  The backout down the Ems is always done in March when the water levels are highest.  Going down the river backwards let’s the Azipods put more water underneath the hull. This is one of the most intricate and tricky maneuvers ever attempted.  The clearance under the ships hull, when going down the Ems, is measured in centimeters.  

I may have missed it...but how long is the trip from the ship yard....to the open ocean?  

8 hours ago, Marga.Anders said:

Last ones and finally some sun 😀

Marga thanks for sharing your photos and videos. How was the experience for you being there in person and seeing it up close? Must have been amazing.

@Lloyd555 Also thanks for all the updates, photos and videos from day one of this thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I may have missed it...but how long is the trip from the ship yard....to the open ocean?  

I am not sure but I think they can get it done in less than 24 hours.  I believe a lot depends on tides.  They intend to take Odyssey out for sea testing.  Then I believe they will finish the final details and decor then take her out for sea trials before handing her over to RCI.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Marga thanks for sharing your photos and videos. How was the experience for you being there in person and seeing it up close? Must have been amazing.

@Lloyd555 Also thanks for all the updates, photos and videos from day one of this thread.

@Tall-Cruiser It was amazing! We had never seen a ship being conveyed before and it was really something. We had seen her already at a tour of the shipyard but this was so much better. We are sailing on her this September (fingers crossed) which makes it extra special. We went to 3 different spots to look and met some nice folks at all the spots. I was really exciting. Maybe also because we have been in lockdown for weeks and this was our first trip out 🙄

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Marga.Anders said:

@Tall-Cruiser It was amazing! We had never seen a ship being conveyed before and it was really something. We had seen her already at a tour of the shipyard but this was so much better. We are sailing on her this September (fingers crossed) which makes it extra special. We went to 3 different spots to look and met some nice folks at all the spots. I was really exciting. Maybe also because we have been in lockdown for weeks and this was our first trip out 🙄

I am happy for you and glad to hear you guys enjoyed it. You had some pretty good locations to those great shots. Seeing it on video is cool but experiences it live has to be fantastic. It’s one of those things that’s on my bucket list.

I am sure your sailing in September will be great. We are looking forward to ours almost a year from now. 
All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Waiting until 00:30 for the next bridge based on the schedule.  

6 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I believe they're transiting the Emssperrwerk (bridge)!

Emssperrwerk Gandersum is no bridge but a lock and dam at the end of the Ems river where it joins the sea. They had to wait for the next high tide at midnight.

In the meantime the Odyssey of the Seas has arrived at Eemshaven.

steamboats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1