Choice of fonts in posts

I don’t know if anyone else is having this issue, but here goes...I really enjoy reading the responses of everyone in posts that interest me, but have noticed some people are using fonts that are really difficult to read, especially on an iPad or iPhone.  For example, the font color is light blue and the script is small and very fancy and swirly.  I have a tendency to just skip or and ignore those posts, which is a shame because you may have had some good information to share. I’m really not sure what the purpose is of using anything but a normal print that people can read easily?

• Haha 1

I would guess that people use different fonts to stand out or be "unique", and/or because those fonts are appealing to them.

But, yes, some of them are difficult to read and thus are likely to be skipped over (which might defeat the purpose if their intention is to be noticed). It's up to the poster to decide how much their desire to be different aligns with their desire to have their posts read. 🙂

I just skip over anything that takes more effort than I feel it's worth, and otherwise live and let live.

12 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

I just skip over anything that takes more effort than I feel it's worth, and otherwise live and let live.

I feel the same way.  But it’s a shame that people are taking the time to post and others find it difficult to read. I thought I’d share this in case they weren’t aware.😊

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pcsunlover said:

Nice, they moved this thread. Why?? Now the very people who need to read how annoying their font choices are to other people will never see it.  Great job Cruise Critic.

If you want specific posters to see the message then quote an offending post. I'd suggest including a screenshot of what you see.

The usual offending font is Comic Sans MS (Comic Sans). On Microsoft and most Apple desktops the font is readable. On most mobiles it is quite difficult to read.

Screenshot from my cell phone

image.png.35a08c4f080ff4d9480afe2904520452.png

Same post on my desktop

image.png.52d2e3a32b90ba476f32fb08274684c1.png

This is a known issue. Hopefully the developers will eventually get around to fixing the font mapping or removing the Comic Sans option entirely.

49 minutes ago, broberts said:

This is a known issue. Hopefully the developers will eventually get around to fixing the font mapping or removing the Comic Sans option entirely.

I have previously written to CC about the Comic Sans font and the fact that it can't really be read on mobile devices, including tablets as well as phones.   My point was that if the problem could not be fixed, that font should be removed as an option -- why have a font that is incompatible with mobile devices?  I was recently told they have made the decision not to do anything about the font, and instead address it directly with posters who keep using it.  So far, I don't see any evidence of that, as the most prolific user of this font (who I've seen asked by other posters to please stop using it) is still using it.

I get that some folks feel a need to put some "unique" stamp on their posts, but changing the perfectly good and readable default font to something that's not reader friendly (whether because of font style, size, and/or color) says more about the user than anything else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcsunlover said:

Nice, they moved this thread. Why??

Because it rightly belongs on the "Need Help Using the Forum?" forum.  Not whatever forum you originally posted it in.

If you're trying to give the message to a specific person, it's better to quote the person you're directing your comments to, not a general "please don't" comment to anyone who can see it.

1 hour ago, pcsunlover said:
Nice, they moved this thread. Why?? Now the very people who need to read how annoying their font choices are to other people will never see it.  Great job Cruise Critic.

We informed a “K” somebody or another, "K' is the first letter of their screen name, who uses that unreadable script font of the issue, but they are tone death. They didn’t care. Self centered.....They think the unreadable font is beautiful. So far as I know they still post with it. Don’t know for sure as I put "K" on ignore as it was it was not worth the hassle decipher k’s posts and it wasn’t like" K" was contributing much of interest.

Edited by Charles4515

28 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I have previously written to CC about the Comic Sans font and the fact that it can't really be read on mobile devices, including tablets as well as phones.   My point was that if the problem could not be fixed, that font should be removed as an option -- why have a font that is incompatible with mobile devices?  I was recently told they have made the decision not to do anything about the font, and instead address it directly with posters who keep using it.  So far, I don't see any evidence of that, as the most prolific user of this font (who I've seen asked by other posters to please stop using it) is still using it.

Probably CC can't do anything to remove the option. The developers of the Invision Powerboard forum software would have to fix the problem or remove the font. 

18 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

We informed a “K” somebody or another, "K' is the first letter of their screen name, who uses that unreadable script font of the issue, but they are tone death. They didn’t care. Self centered.....They think the unreadable font is beautiful. So far as I know they still post with it. Don’t know for sure as I put "K" on ignore as it was it was not worth the hassle decipher k’s posts and it wasn’t like" K" was contributing much of interest.

Yes. That’s the poster.  Still doing it.  

35 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Because it rightly belongs on the "Need Help Using the Forum?" forum.  Not whatever forum you originally posted it in.

If you're trying to give the message to a specific person, it's better to quote the person you're directing your comments to, not a general "please don't" comment to anyone who can see it.

I’ve noticed it on multiple posts from multiple people.  Don’t want to become the font police, so thought a general message would be helpful on the main page.  I doubt very much if the people using those fonts are going to come to this page.

14 minutes ago, pcsunlover said:

I’ve noticed it on multiple posts from multiple people.  Don’t want to become the font police, so thought a general message would be helpful on the main page.  I doubt very much if the people using those fonts are going to come to this page.

That's why  a direct quote/post to the people/person you're trying to reach is better.

Just now, Shmoo here said:

That's why  a direct quote/post to the people/person you're trying to reach is better.

Probably, but like I said, I’m not looking to “police” posts hence the general post.  Obviously no one thought it was helpful so I will do what others have suggested and ignore/block the offenders.

18 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes. That’s the poster.  Still doing it.  

Number 1 most prolific poster on CC.

Luckily I dont visit the HAL board very often. Most of the folks on Royal have changed once it was pointed out. 

26 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Number 1 most prolific poster on CC.

Luckily I dont visit the HAL board very often. Most of the folks on Royal have changed once it was pointed out. 

I do visit the HAL board frequently, and those posts are a great annoyance.  I think it’s even worse because she has been asked to change the font, and has not done so.  I know folks could use the “ignore” feature, but why should anyone have to over this?  

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I do visit the HAL board frequently, and those posts are a great annoyance.  I think it’s even worse because she has been asked to change the font, and has not done so.  I know folks could use the “ignore” feature, but why should anyone have to over this?  

You all have KK and we have CB.  😉

Seriously though.  There have been multiple threads about this asking CC for help, and nothing is happening.  By chance have you seen how it looks on Tapatalk app?

You all have KK and we have CB.  [emoji6]

Seriously though.  There have been multiple threads about this asking CC for help, and nothing is happening.  By chance have you seen how it looks on Tapatalk app?

You can’t choose a font on Tapatalk. All posts made use the same font which is similar to Helvetica. (I don’t know the exact font) Very readable. It does not matter what font or font size a user had picked in Cruise Critic, the post will appear with Tapatalk’s app font.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, broberts said:

The usual offending font is Comic Sans MS (Comic Sans). On Microsoft and most Apple desktops the font is readable. On most mobiles it is quite difficult to read.

While I can read Comic Sans fine from my PC, many others can't on what they use so I no longer use Comic Sans. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:47 AM, OCruisers said:

While I can read Comic Sans fine from my PC, many others can't on what they use so I no longer use Comic Sans. 

That is very considerate of you; thanks.  Would that the others who continue to use this font knowing of the problem would be as considerate. 

• Thanks 1

Someone took the time to post a LONG review on RCI board - unfortunately using the trouble font.  It’s a shame, because they obviously spent a long time on their review, and it’s unreadable on ipad or iPhone.  

@CC Help Jenn, @LauraS, - 

Is the comic sans font problem on the radar?    Look at this lovely long review, that mobile users can’t see:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2632750-1-6-19-to-1-13-19-liberty-of-the-seas-7-night-western-caribbean-review-long/?tab=comments#comment-56747415

Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That is very considerate of you; thanks.  Would that the others who continue to use this font knowing of the problem would be as considerate. 

I'm wondering if those who've been put on notice that that font isn't readable really understand the issue. And continue using a font/color that's more easily readable TO THEM.

I didn't realize that a font with the same name would come out looking different on different devices until broberts actually posted screen shots of the difference between the two.

Edited by Shmoo here