Choice of fonts in posts

1 hour ago, BSocial said:

Someone took the time to post a LONG review on RCI board - unfortunately using the trouble font.  It’s a shame, because they obviously spent a long time on their review, and it’s unreadable on ipad or iPhone.  

@CC Help Jenn, @LauraS, - 

Is the comic sans font problem on the radar?    Look at this lovely long review, that mobile users can’t see:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2632750-1-6-19-to-1-13-19-liberty-of-the-seas-7-night-western-caribbean-review-long/?tab=comments#comment-56747415

Thanks for your help

Even on a computer Comic Sans is not very suitable for a long post.  I notice that the poster on that thread, did go look at it on a mobile device and because of what saw, reposted their review in a readable text font. 

36 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I'm wondering if those who've been put on notice that that font isn't readable really understand the issue. And continue using a font/color that's more easily readable TO THEM.

I have found that most of those who are are made aware the font they are using is not readable do change their font. There is only the one KK who has over a hundred thousand posts that won't change to a readable font after multiple people informed them. As I mentioned I have blocked their posts. I hate to hit the ignore button but from what I can tell blocking that person is no great loss...... their  prolific posts are mostly a waste anyway.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have found that most of those who are are made aware the font they are using is not readable do change their font. There is only the one KK who has over a hundred thousand posts that won't change to a readable font after multiple people informed them. As I mentioned I have blocked their posts. I hate to hit the ignore button but from what I can tell blocking that person is no great loss...... their  prolific posts are mostly a waste anyway.

Perhaps the offender has somehow set the font as a default and does not know enough to change it.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, Charles4515 said:

You can’t choose a font on Tapatalk. All posts made use the same font which is similar to Helvetica. (I don’t know the exact font) Very readable. It does not matter what font or font size a user had picked in Cruise Critic, the post will appear with Tapatalk’s app font.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tapatalk uses your device's default San Serif font. Font sizes and colors are ignored. However, Tapatalk does render bold, italic and bold + italic as readable with different appearance. The web version of the site does not render bold + italic as noticeably different because of the way the style sheet directives are written. (The Comic Sans issue can be fixed in CSS as well. I posted the code a few times, but it's like trying to teach a cat to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the cat. My guess is that they hate usability.) :classic_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Question Please:  If I use the I (Italics thing) is it a problem for those not using a PC?:classic_unsure:

Don't want to use anything that makes it harder for many others to read.

Well, let's do a test.

I am italicizing this sentence, and then I'll check it on my iPhone.

Edited  to add: it is totally readable on my phone, thanks for asking how it would look.

Edited by Turtles06

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Please be nice to KK who has bad vision problems so does this so she can see what she's posting. 

We've always found her posts to be extremely helpful because she really knows HAL way better than most and does not post just to be posting.  

7 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Please be nice to KK who has bad vision problems so does this so she can see what she's posting. 

We've always found her posts to be extremely helpful because she really knows HAL way better than most and does not post just to be posting.  

Her most recent posts late today are *not* in Comic Sans, and thus quite readable now on my phone.   (Frankly, if someone has vision issues, I think it would be far more helpful to adjust the size of the font chosen, not the type of font.) 

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Her most recent posts late today are *not* in Comic Sans, and thus quite readable now on my phone.   (Frankly, if someone has vision issues, I think it would be far more helpful to adjust the size of the font chosen, not the type of font.) 

KK is really a very nice person and extremely smart ( just can't see well) so feel sure she wanted to do this when she  realized she needed to.

Thanks for caring and understanding.  

Okay. I only scrolled back a few posts in her profile so my sample may have been too small. I noticed her post count, over 100,000 which seems like someone going overboard. You don’t have to reply to everyone that their post was amazing etc. That was what I was seeing.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:46 PM, OCruisers said:

Question Please:  If I use the I (Italics thing) is it a problem for those not using a PC?:classic_unsure:

Don't want to use anything that makes it harder for many others to read.

No, it will not be a problem.  The issue is with Comic Sans is that it is not a font generally installed on mobile platforms. As a result the font is mapped to a script font suitable only (in my opinion) for printed wedding invitations and the like.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2019 at 8:50 PM, Charles4515 said:

Okay. I only scrolled back a few posts in her profile so my sample may have been too small. I noticed her post count, over 100,000 which seems like someone going overboard. You don’t have to reply to everyone that their post was amazing etc. That was what I was seeing.

That's what the like button is for. 😉

• Like 1

The problem is not Comic Sans itself, which is a slightly modified sans serif typeface. It is that it doesn't display that font on iPads and iPhones (and I'm not sure about other mobile devices), rather it maps it to a very hard to read cursive font.

The other issue I occasionally have is people posting with LARGE fonts. It feels like I'm being shouted at, and on my iPhone it is virtually unreadable.

5 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The problem is not Comic Sans itself, which is a slightly modified sans serif typeface. It is that it doesn't display that font on iPads and iPhones (and I'm not sure about other mobile devices), rather it maps it to a very hard to read cursive font.

The other issue I occasionally have is people posting with LARGE fonts. It feels like I'm being shouted at, and on my iPhone it is virtually unreadable.

Reads as script on Android also

6 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It can't just be a iPhone thing.  On the old Cruise Critic website, I was able to see comic sans on my iPhone just fine.  It wasn't until this site changed the font started doing that on my device.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

It can't just be a iPhone thing.  On the old Cruise Critic website, I was able to see comic sans on my iPhone just fine.  It wasn't until this site changed the font started doing that on my device.  

I believe @POA1 has traced it to the font mapping for mobiles in a website CSS file. Presumably the choice was made as some mobiles, particularly Android, do not have the font installed by default. Why the apparently simple fix suggested by @POA1 has not been implemented is a mystery.

12 hours ago, broberts said:

I believe @POA1 has traced it to the font mapping for mobiles in a website CSS file. Presumably the choice was made as some mobiles, particularly Android, do not have the font installed by default. Why the apparently simple fix suggested by @POA1 has not been implemented is a mystery. 

Yes. CSS has a set of fall backs for fonts not installed on a user's computer or other device. The most basic level of fall back is serif, sans serif, or script. Serif is something that usually looks like Times Roman. Sans serif looks like Arial or Helvetica. Script is the CC (and standard) CSS fall back for Comic Sans. It's a single line fix in the main CSS file. We have to do it all the time if one of our clients wants to use Comic Sans. 

20 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Agree. There wasn't any complaints about Comic Sans MS until this last attempt :classic_rolleyes: of improving CC with a new software version. Swing and a miss. Plus now the blank white pages and error messages. 🤬