Outdoor dinner on Riviera

laserboi

True, no waiter service as such for Terrace ... but very frequently once you select your plate (first, second, third or last), very often a server will carry it to the table for you.  Busboys/girls come around asking if you want a drink, as does the wine person.  I didn't used to be asked to give up my plate, but these days I routinely am ... Even when I'm only 5 feet away from our table.

It's NOT service as in one of the other restaurants, but you can have a very pleasant time on the terrace of Terrace if you want an outdoor meal.

If you are in a top suite (I know, I know) you can order in from any of the restaurants and dine on your veranda if you like ... but you need to be in a top suite just to get enough room on the veranda for a table, even if only for two.

The two aft OC suites have a huge veranda and it would be easy enough to carry the dining table from the living room outdoors (that's my assumption, I haven't tested the theory).  When we were in an OS on Regatta many years ago we regularly had breakfast on the veranda, using the table that is regularly there.  But Penthouse suites on all ships (if I'm remembering correctly) would really be too tight for dining al fresco.

Hope this helps.

Mura

3 hours ago, Mura said:

Penthouse suites on all ships (if I'm remembering correctly) would really be too tight for dining al fresco.

Mostly true, but you are forgetting the Deck 7 extended Veranda Penthouses on Marina & Riviera.

210504.jpgThe exceptions which prove the rule, you might say  😊

I haven't forgotten because we've never seen one of them!  We did have a PH on one Marina cruise but it was midships.

Another advantage to those suites, however.

Thanks for the comment.

Mura

• Like 1

In October, we cruised with friends who were in a Penthouse suite with extended veranda on Deck 7.  The weather was lovely, and they dined on their balcony several times.  The balcony is very spacious, and made the cabin seem larger as well.

We often dine outdoors in the Terrace Cafe...more frequently than in elsewhere if the weather's nice.  Service is usually excellent, though the Terrace doesn't have course by course table service.  We enjoy the "buffet", choosing what we'd like for dinner.  It is often difficult to carry your own plate to the table as staff is quick to offer help taking your plate to the table.  Wine service is like the other restaurants.  Having just taken my first mass market cruise with a buffet, I can guarantee that the Terrace Cafe is a buffet in name only - not your typical buffet.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, su-arizona said:

In October, we cruised with friends who were in a Penthouse suite with extended veranda on Deck 7.  The weather was lovely, and they dined on their balcony several times.  The balcony is very spacious, and made the cabin seem larger as well.

This is just a note for those that are not familiar with this cabin.

This large veranda comes at a price - too steep for us. These cabins are smaller than a regular PH (narrower) with much less room between the foot of the bed and the wall. Also, instead of a walk-in closet they have a regular wall closet. This cabin is great for those that love the outside space at the price of a smaller cabin.

We’ve never stayed in one of these but this is my recollection. If wrong, someone will correct me.

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

This large veranda comes at a price - too steep for us. These cabins are smaller than a regular PH (narrower) with much less room between the foot of the bed and the wall. Also, instead of a walk-in closet they have a regular wall closet. This cabin is great for those that love the outside space at the price of a smaller cabin.

We’ve never stayed in one of these but this is my recollection. If wrong, someone will correct me.

I agree, Paul. To me interior space is far more important than a larger verandah. There is plenty of outdoor space around the ship.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Paulchili said:

Yes and no, Paul-

210504.jpg

The two Penthouses furthest aft ARE smaller than standard size but have those magnificent wrap around verandas comparable to those of an Owners Suite. 

7128 amd 7133 are standard sized Penthouses which also have oversized verandas.  

002114.jpg

In this photo, Deck 7 is at the level of the blue line on the hull and the huge veranda of 7128 is just above the second set of dining room windows from the stern.  

On 2/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, Paulchili said:

My recollection is that they do have a walk in closet, but it is slightly smaller than the other PH cabins. Perhaps StanandJim can confirm.

Edited by buggins0402

2 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

My recollection is that they do have a walk in closet, but it is slightly smaller than the other PH cabins. Perhaps StanandJim can confirm.

Maybe S&J or someone who has stayed in that end PH can answer?

I thought that dinner on the Terrace was supposed to be-- 1. Pick out the food you want on the buffet (don't touch it-staff will put it on a plate)  and then, 2. a wait staff will bring it to your table.  When I look at the links from LHT28, I see people with plates in their hand and I don't see very much wait staff.  What the heck is the deal at Terrace??

Here is the "deal" - waitstaff will often offer to help carry your plates from the buffet when they are free but they are not always available as they are doing other things like clearing & cleaning tables, filling your water or bringing sodas/coffee that people have ordered.

At the Waves you order the food and the waitstaff will bring it to your table - maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, zteamtwo said:

I thought that dinner on the Terrace was supposed to be-- 1. Pick out the food you want on the buffet (don't touch it-staff will put it on a plate)  and then, 2. a wait staff will bring it to your table.  When I look at the links from LHT28, I see people with plates in their hand and I don't see very much wait staff.  What the heck is the deal at Terrace??

There is  not  a waiter for each person  if  the waiter sees you heading back to the table many will offer to carry your plate  ..some people are still browsing

If you want service  eat in the GDR where they bring the food to you

the outdoor Terrace is a good option for dinner.  Food is way above the standard  buffet.  The staff will help you bring your food to the table, but it is up to you to choose it and get it on your plate.  You would have to do this for every course

The dining rooms on the ship (including MDR) have more formal service, but not formal dress.  You won't see anyone in a tuxedo except the wait staff

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, Paulchili said:

Maybe S&J or someone who has stayed in that end PH can answer?

7130 and 7135 both have walk in closets.

I would guesstimate that they are two feet narrower but the same length as any other penthouse walk in.

24 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

7130 and 7135 both have walk in closets.

I would guesstimate that they are two feet narrower but the same length as any other penthouse walk in.

That sounds just fine.

Now, what about the space a the foot of the bed, where the "dining" setup is?

How do they adjust the spacing there for the narrower "room" in that location?

Do they not have the shelving/cabinets, or do they move the "dining table and chairs"?

I had assumed that there was no walk-in closet in those two aft PHs (thought I read it somewhere...?).

But if they have that nice space to help keep things tidy in the main area, that would be okay.

We much prefer a forward view (suite above/below the Bridge), but those are $$$ on Oceania.

We had an aft suite on a cruise last year (different cruise line), and although "watching the wake" didn't appeal to us, we loved the wide panoramic view from the aft "wall of windows" from inside the suite,.

That wouldn't be the case with these PHs suites.

Thanks again.

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Now, what about the space a the foot of the bed, where the "dining" setup is?

How do they adjust the spacing there for the narrower "room" in that location?

Someone (Cruisingexpert - Catherine?) had posted that they move the 2 chairs & table from the foot of the bed to the couch area thus creating more space at the foot of the bed.

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Someone (Cruisingexpert - Catherine?) had posted that they move the 2 chairs & table from the foot of the bed to the couch area thus creating more space at the foot of the bed.

Hmmm... I think we'd prefer it there anyway, but with a larger table, or a topper under a tablecloth.

:classic_smile:

GC