Do you tip extra? Who? When? How? How much?

Kingofcool1947

17 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Do you tip extra?                                    Yes

Who?                                                         Cabin steward(ess) & assistant, butler (when we have one)

When ?                                                      End of cruise

How?   Cash, or cash in a envelope?    The latter

How much?                                                Up to you.

Thanks.

King

You are welcome

Edited by Paulchili

I send note of thanks and tip when I send bag of laundry out the first time, I leave a tip for cabin stewards on days they get a chance to get off the ship and tell them to go have an enjoyable coffee on us or talk an extra 10 minutes to their family back home.  Sometimes when we are stocking up on snacks I will buy spicy chips, nuts, chocolates to share with the crew.  It’s fun to surprise them.  We don’t wait until the end of the Cruise to acknowledge all their hard work.  

There really aren't any rules.  If you want to leave extra, do so!  We didn't originally do so but we do now, especially when service is exemplary.

We leave cash, in an envelope.  Sometimes in dollars, sometimes in the local currency.  (By local I guess pretty much that has been euros for us but it would depend on where you are sailing.)

It can't be easy for them to have to go to a bank to exchange money, but often dollars are the easiest -- unless, of course, you don't live in the U.S.!  There are places that prefer dollars, even by taxi drivers.  But more likely that won't be the case.

When in doubt, you could ask which they would prefer.

I don't think any of us can tell you how much you should leave or IF you should give more.  It depends on your situation. 

Mura

Since most of us have bookings on O that include tips, may I suggest a cash contribution to the CREW FUND at reception?   Rather than tipping one individual, the  Crew Fund is an equitable and easy way to share your gratitude - esp to those behind the scenes that make your trip so pleasant and relaxing (those in the kitchen, laundry etc.).

If you have doubts, ask at reception about the Fund and what it is used for.  Works for me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wristband said:

Since most of us have bookings on O that include tips, may I suggest a cash contribution to the CREW FUND at reception?   Rather than tipping one individual, the  Crew Fund is an equitable and easy way to share your gratitude - esp to those behind the scenes that make your trip so pleasant and relaxing (those in the kitchen, laundry etc.).

If you have doubts, ask at reception about the Fund and what it is used for.  Works for me.

What a great idea!

I was unaware there is a Crew Fund.

I will inquire about the fund on my May cruise.

Thanks for the info.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, wristband said:

I kind of disagree. We ALL pay gratuities - whether they are included or added as an extra expense. It is this fund that is shared among EVERYONE - included those behind the scene that we do not see. If I am going to tip EXTRA in addition to the basic gratuities then it will be to those that have done something extra or special for me personally.

Now, if you also wish to add to the crew fund, by all means go ahead.

JMO.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I kind of disagree. We ALL pay gratuities - whether they are included or added as an extra expense. It is this fund that is shared among EVERYONE - included those behind the scene that we do not see. If I am going to tip EXTRA in addition to the basic gratuities then it will be to those that have done something extra or special for me personally.

JMO.

This seems to be the right way to do it for us.  Those that do something special deserve a little extra. 

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

JMO.

Agree extra tips for us means a personal thank you to 

someone who has made a good experience better.

many times that includes waiters we have often.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slw207693 said:

I send note of thanks and tip when I send bag of laundry out the first time, I leave a tip for cabin stewards on days they get a chance to get off the ship and tell them to go have an enjoyable coffee on us or talk an extra 10 minutes to their family back home.  Sometimes when we are stocking up on snacks I will buy spicy chips, nuts, chocolates to share with the crew.  It’s fun to surprise them.  We don’t wait until the end of the Cruise to acknowledge all their hard work.  

Best way to acknowledge their work is with cash. Of course they will  be polite and act surprised and grateful for "things" you buy them, but money that they can spend at the time and for the purpose they..not you.. choose is what is really appreciated.

• Like 1

Something you can do that is probably more important than "extra" tipping.

Add their name and specifics as to what the employee did that was special for you (and special as you observed as special for others) to both the mid-cruise and end of cruise comments.  This serves the purpose of possibly getting that employee the following:

1) a raise in pay

2) a promotion

3) a better chance at future contracts.

I do not know if this can work with behind the scenes people such as chefs.

A well timed "thank you" can be used for officers.

49 minutes ago, edgee said:

but money that they can spend at the time and for the purpose they..not you.. choose is what is really appreciated.

Not to mention that this is money they will take home to support their family. Small gifts are nice but they won't do that.

Edited by Paulchili

7 hours ago, UDSpud said:

Something you can do that is probably more important than "extra" tipping.

Add their name and specifics as to what the employee did that was special for you (and special as you observed as special for others) to both the mid-cruise and end of cruise comments.  This serves the purpose of possibly getting that employee the following:

1) a raise in pay

2) a promotion

3) a better chance at future contracts.

Agree that kudos on the comment cards are very much appreciated; we always try to single out those who make a difference. We also tip 'extra' in cash at the end to Cabin Attendants, Butler, usually Barista (DH is a daily visitor), the occasional waiter. We don't worry too much about which currency; there are so many nationalities aboard, and these crew members are savvy about trading/using currencies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, slw207693 said:

I love all of these ideas. I usually bring some things specific to my home (I live in Georgia) and hand those out as gifts along with notes, but I really love some of your ideas. Brilliant.

Since my favorite hangout on Riviera or Marina is the Martini bar around 5 PM, I generally tip the main servers and bar staff who have  served me toward the end of the cruise. Trust me, they appreciate it.

Edited by Aloha 1

• 3 months later...

If you say gave your room steward or butler like $30-40 extra on the first day do you think you would get “better” service?   We always just prepay all the tips but this is our first PH suite.   I want it to be an amazing experience for my wife and I.  

Some of us consider a tip before the cruise to be somewhat like a bribe.  We always tip for extra service after it has been rendered, not before.  Not all agree, of course.  I think Jim and Stan have said they tip beforehand but they also require a lot more than many of us -- cocktail parties, and the like.

I have not found it necessary to tip in advance in order to get super service. You get that anyway the vast majority of the time.  I have seen occasional comments here about inferior service, whether from a butler or the room staff, but that has never been our experience in 16 cruises on O.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tmartois said:

If you say gave your room steward or butler like $30-40 extra on the first day do you think you would get “better” service?   

I doubt it.  What incentive do they have to give you above and beyond service, if they have their "reward" in advance...and how would you know the service was above and beyond what you would have gotten anyway?  As Mura said, you get excellent service as the norm.

Edited by 1985rz1

12 minutes ago, Mura said:

Some of us consider a tip before the cruise to be somewhat like a bribe.

A recent thread had a couple of people who were determined to label it something other than "bribe" but I'm with the majority.  And overall however I've traveled I've generally found the service to be really, really good.

3 hours ago, Mura said:

Some of us consider a tip before the cruise to be somewhat like a bribe.  We always tip for extra service after it has been rendered, not before.  Not all agree, of course.  I think Jim and Stan have said they tip beforehand but they also require a lot more than many of us -- cocktail parties, and the like.

I have not found it necessary to tip in advance in order to get super service. You get that anyway the vast majority of the time.  I have seen occasional comments here about inferior service, whether from a butler or the room staff, but that has never been our experience in 16 cruises on O.

I am with you Mura. We tip extra after the cruise and the amount depends on the service given or the amount of extra demands we might have made on the staff.

In all our cruising over the years (well over 50) there was only one occasion when we did not tip extra to a cabin steward. It was on a recent Viking cruise when the steward was bordering on obnoxious (we left the regular gratuities in place). At the same time we tipped his attendant who was most attentive and helpful.

15 hours ago, Mura said:

+ 1