cgolf1

Opinion of the Edge poll New to Celebrity and those loyal to Celebrity   

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which best fits your opinion of the Edge

• New to Celebrity and liked the Edge
    • New to Celebrity and was not impressed with the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and liked the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and was not impressed with the Edge

This is my first poll, so will see if it works. 

Reading the Edge reviews I think I am seeing some trends, but want to use the poll to confirm it. At times I feel like we sailed a different ship than others. We really enjoyed it and it made my top 3 cruise list. I wonder if that is because the Edge is closer to what we have experienced on the other lines we sailed, which is very possible. 

While of course this isn’t everyone who has sailed the edge on the boards, I am surprised so far by the results. With all the negativity I have read about the Edge and even the updates on the older ships, I expected the dislikes to far outnumber the likes. 

6 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

While of course this isn’t everyone who has sailed the edge on the boards, I am surprised so far by the results. With all the negativity I have read about the Edge and even the updates on the older ships, I expected the dislikes to far outnumber the likes. 

Reviews currently come in at 44% liking, 31% mixed, 25% negative.  I couldn't be surprised to see a 60:40 split when people take sides.  Interesting poll.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think the main question for long time Celebrity cruisers who have been on Edge:

"If Edge was priced equivalently to other Celebrity ships for your cabin choice, would you sail on her again?"  

@TeeRick are you thinking that the higher prices of Edge could be deterring long time X cruisers from sailing again after they do try it?

12 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

@TeeRick are you thinking that the higher prices of Edge could be deterring long time X cruisers from sailing again after they do try it?

Yes for me anyway.  We signed up for Edge on the very first day it was offered in March 2017 for our Jan 20 2019 cruise.  We got a CS at an amazing price.  That price has nearly tripled now.  We would never pay the current price.  We would rather sail an M-Class or S-Class at a much less expensive price. They will be an even nicer option post Revolution.  If Edge (or Apex)comes down over time to be close to the other ships I would sail her again.  Our next two cruises are booked on Eclipse and Reflection.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

I think price/value needs to be considered. Perhaps as a different question. This first set of questions is rating the ship and experience. Would like to see if there is enough bang for the buck. We have a booking on the Edge for next summer and we are really wrestling with the price given the value as based on the feedback we've seen.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes for me anyway.  We signed up for Edge on the very first day it was offered in March 2017 for our Jan 20 2019 cruise.  We got a CS at an amazing price.  That price has nearly tripled now.  We would never pay the current price.  We would rather sail an M-Class or S-Class at a much less expensive price. They will be an even nicer option post Revolution.  If Edge (or Apex)comes down over time to be close to the other ships I would sail her again.  Our next two cruises are booked on Eclipse and Reflection.

I too booked an Edge cruise shortly after they were released for later in 2019.  I also can't believe how high the prices have gone.  I am very happy with the S class experience, but love the 'idea' of 'new' so am still looking forward to trying the Edge.  I also have a post-revolution S class Silhouette booking, at far less cost, so looking forward to that too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Reviews currently come in at 44% liking, 31% mixed, 25% negative.  I couldn't be surprised to see a 60:40 split when people take sides.  Interesting poll.

Even a 60% like or 3/5 which is where the rating is at for Edge is on the CC ship reviews is poor. Especially when you consider ratings for the S class ships at 4+ out of 5 , or greater than 80%.

Personally, I don’t put much weight in review scores for an experience for couple of reasons:

1.  Those who disliked  food, entertainment, decor, service etc are more likely to write a review or fill out a survey than those who liked it.

2.  Food that I dislike, is popular with most, so a excellent food experience for many would be a disappointment for me.  Same can be said about entertainment, decor.

We really enjoyed the Edge and posted a few observations but as with every cruise we have taken we didn’t write a review.

• Like 1

We would not sail on the Edge again, unless entertainment (Khalida, Kaleidoscope, Eden, and other weird productions changed. I liked a lot of their other activities.

We paid top dollar and the price would have to come down a lot.

nothing really special about this ship IMO.

we spoke to many people onboard no one said they would return.

Though not a perfect fit for us (all ships we have sailed on have things we don't care for, but if the balance tips toward a positive experience, we will return), there was enough about the ship to lure us back for another cruise, especially after seeing the improvements made so quickly in response to feedback. We booked an SV for 2020 because on the Edge the suite life was lacking some of the things we value most. Though looking forward to trying an SV and the 4 MDRs, we will watch the prices and may jump ship if prices don't drop and an S Class ship has a much better deal.

We also booked the Apex in an S2 for 2021 since it appears there will be some improvements in the Retreat (a bar in the lounge and hopefully set up better for entertainment there and hopefully better balcony furniture). The cost was $2000 more than we paid on day one for the Edge suite, but much less than they were charging for sky suites when we boarded (12000). Again, will watch the prices and build and make final decision closer to the date.

Thanks for the poll!

4 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Definitely, and new to Celebrity as well.  The Edge was my second X cruise and while the ship was pleasant and enjoyable, it is not worth the premium price.  If prices came down to be more in line with other X ships, then I would definitely sail her again.  BTW, did anyone else notice the foul odor at various time in various parts of the ship?  It was most prominent in the atrium and Eden but was also noticed in the Rooftop Garden and the theater.  I can't imagine eating in Raw on 5 with sewer odors wafting through.

I have read both the reviews and many of the threads on the forum. The reviews I don’t put a lot of weight behind them. The detailed comments though in the many threads have caught my attention. 

We too too got a very good price and it ended up doubling a few months before we sailed, so glad we booked when we did. When we booked onboard for the Apex, it would have been 600 more for the same room on either the Edge or the Apex. We did the 2 perk deal in an oceanview because we don’t have enough status with Celebrity or RCCL to get the 3 free nightly drinks yet. 

Now the poll numbers are matching what I expected. If the price gets much higher, we may sit it out in the future, but that doesn’t impact my thoughts of the ship. 

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Though not a perfect fit for us (all ships we have sailed on have things we don't care for, but if the balance tips toward a positive experience, we will return), there was enough about the ship to lure us back for another cruise, especially after seeing the improvements made so quickly in response to feedback. We booked an SV for 2020 because on the Edge the suite life was lacking some of the things we value most. Though looking forward to trying an SV and the 4 MDRs, we will watch the prices and may jump ship if prices don't drop and an S Class ship has a much better deal.

We also booked the Apex in an S2 for 2021 since it appears there will be some improvements in the Retreat (a bar in the lounge and hopefully set up better for entertainment there and hopefully better balcony furniture). The cost was $2000 more than we paid on day one for the Edge suite, but much less than they were charging for sky suites when we boarded (12000). Again, will watch the prices and build and make final decision closer to the date.

Thanks for the poll!

We had to book the SV due to the suites being almost 16,000 on Edge.  IMHO, that was absolutely rediculous.  However, we loved the itinerary in Europe, along with the 11 days, but the price was improved by the addition of all 4 perks and $400 OBC.  I was able to book a 12 day S2-aft suite for Equinox after its revolution for 8,500.  I would have booked an S1, but the price was $800 higher, and in my mind, not worth the additional $800.  My OBC was for 1,300 and all four perks...much better and I have heard the S2 afts are just fine!  Both of these cruises are for 2020.  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

We would not sail on the Edge again, unless entertainment (Khalida, Kaleidoscope, Eden, and other weird productions changed. I liked a lot of their other activities.

We paid top dollar and the price would have to come down a lot.

nothing really special about this ship IMO.

we spoke to many people onboard no one said they would return.

This is where I think the dividing line for many was. We absolutely loved Kaleidoscope, felt like a concert, and Khalida was very good as well. A hot summers night dream, was fine, but not as good as the other two. 

We totally agree on the Eden show, still don’t know if I saw the end or not lol. 

On our our upcoming Apex Cruise our college aged daughter will be joining us on, we have our fingers crossed that the main shows there are similar to what we saw on the Edge. 

We will eventually try another class of Celebrity ship, but probably not in the near future. The fact that we love the E class is getting us to thinking we may not like the other ships as much. 

On 2/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, CapeCodFlyer said:

Definitely, and new to Celebrity as well.  The Edge was my second X cruise and while the ship was pleasant and enjoyable, it is not worth the premium price.  If prices came down to be more in line with other X ships, then I would definitely sail her again.  BTW, did anyone else notice the foul odor at various time in various parts of the ship?  It was most prominent in the atrium and Eden but was also noticed in the Rooftop Garden and the theater.  I can't imagine eating in Raw on 5 with sewer odors wafting through.

There has been a thread on the foul sewer odors.  They are being addressed by engineering on the ship.  Definitely not coming from the sushi!

The poll doesn’t show how many of those voting that stated they enjoyed the X experience were travelling in suites. It could be that all those who have stated they are long time X cruiser and liked the Edge were in fact experiencing a totally different Edge experience to the majority of cruisers staying in IV cabins (highest number of category type I believe on Edge). I personally think this is an important fact to consider on this new type of ‘ship within a ship’ venture for X. Obviously, only my opinion.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, TeeRick said:

I think the main question for long time Celebrity cruisers who have been on Edge:

"If Edge was priced equivalently to other Celebrity ships for your cabin choice, would you sail on her again?"  

Only if I was looking to book a Sky Suite and it was equivalently priced with S class. The infinite balcony is a deal breaker for me.

• Thanks 1