Jade/Breakaway passengers stuck at JFK

Sailing12Away

4 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I can't wait, going to the Food & Wine Festival in Vale early April!  Company is flying us out there, but flying into Denver and then driving....

On topic, I booked the free air from Newark to MIA for our cruise on Breakaway in August.  Yeah, a little hesitant to fly in the day of, but if they get us on an early enough flight, usually on United out of EWR, should be there on time.  I don't mind if I had to pay an additional $50pp to go in the day before, which would be great, since my dad lives near FLL, but then adding the cost of the hotel for Saturday night, transfers from airport/hotel, hotel/cruise terminal with 4 people, 4 bags etc, will then cost me at least an additional $500.....Unfortunately, my dad's car isn't big enough for all of us and luggage, otherwise that would be a no brainer.  Going to take my chances. Besides, when I did book, they did say that NCL would be responsible for getting me on the cruise at either theirs or the insurance's expense....

did you buy the insurance? or is it ncl insurance

7 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

This is just your personal opinion as statistics say otherwise. For example, AA has the highest on-time arrival percentage into Miami out of any of the domestic network carriers.

just saying, if aa cancelled every single flight for the day except one flight to miami and that flight was on time then the ontime percentage would be 100%.  i have said it before ill say it again, airlines are generally the same, treat people like cattle, and have some pr mumbo jumbo to act like they care about passengers.   one thing we know for sure airlines dont care.

23 minutes ago, Newleno said:

aa worse than frontier?  have you flown on frontier lately, their seats are plastic, they literally hurt your body, your tray table is about 1/4 of the size, seats dont recline, you have to pay for a coke or water, you have to pay for an assigned seat, you have to pay for a carryon bag, they cram about 40 more people on the plane than other airlines, but i will fly them if they are the cheapest, i love cheap.

frontier got me to where I was going on time, which is more that I can say for AA. Not only did AA not get me there on time, they didn't even get me there the same day. I'd rather pay for a coke than lose a full day of work, twice!

Of course it is my opinion and based on my experience. That is all I can speak to.

I hope you had a better experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, electro said:

frontier got me to where I was going on time, which is more that I can say for AA. Not only did AA not get me there on time, they didn't even get me there the same day. I'd rather pay for a coke than lose a full day of work, twice!

Of course it is my opinion and based on my experience. That is all I can speak to.

I hope you had a better experience.

nah aa stinks they all do, the whole airline industry stinks, delay, delay, delay, sit on tarmack, same olde system that they used 50 years ago not much has changed as far as faa air traffic control, dealing with weather,etc... airlines such bag of garbage product

13 minutes ago, Newleno said:

just saying, if aa cancelled every single flight for the day except one flight to miami and that flight was on time then the ontime percentage would be 100%.  i have said it before ill say it again, airlines are generally the same, treat people like cattle, and have some pr mumbo jumbo to act like they care about passengers.   one thing we know for sure airlines dont care.

The overall on-time arrival rate for American Airlines is just under 80%. That's 4 out of 5 flights arriving early or on-time. Considering challenges like weather and congestion at many airports AA operates that's pretty good.

8 minutes ago, Newleno said:

nah aa stinks they all do, the whole airline industry stinks, delay, delay, delay, sit on tarmack, same olde system that they used 50 years ago not much has changed as far as faa air traffic control, dealing with weather,etc... airlines such bag of garbage product

Most US airlines operate at around 80% on-time. That's 4 out of 5 flight arriving early or on-time. Delta for example has an 86% on-time arrival rate (all of 2018). Airlines also don't control the FAA, the government does and with all the cuts and government shutdowns you should probably direct your anger elsewhere. As far as dealing with the weather...well...you have a metal tube that weighs hundreds of thousands of pounds flying thru the air at up to 500mph. How do you suggest airlines deal with strong winds, ice, snow etc? Should airlines just "wing it"? Or are the delays in order to keep everyone safe worth it? There's been 1 passenger death in the United States on a commercial airliner due to an accident in the past 10 years. There are roughly 740 million passengers per year on US domestic flights...so 1 death in 10 years means 1 out of roughly 7.4 BILLION passengers. Would you like airlines to jeopardize that in order to increase their already record high on-time arrival rates?

I will cruise 3/9 on a Ncl flight from Colorado Springs to LAX.    I asked to come in a day early and was transferred to air reservations to make the change and sat on hold for 30 minutes.  As I booked was told I had to use the NCL hotel  and price was for EACH traveler.  Same hotel could be booked per room on market.  I couldn’t justify so I’m risking it.  (Additional $350 + food)  I feel for OP and hope they made it.  We missed our first cruise due to fog. I will always go the day before if I can.  

6 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Most US airlines operate at around 80% on-time. That's 4 out of 5 flight arriving early or on-time. Delta for example has an 86% on-time arrival rate (all of 2018). Airlines also don't control the FAA, the government does and with all the cuts and government shutdowns you should probably direct your anger elsewhere. As far as dealing with the weather...well...you have a metal tube that weighs hundreds of thousands of pounds flying thru the air at up to 500mph. How do you suggest airlines deal with strong winds, ice, snow etc? Should airlines just "wing it"? Or are the delays in order to keep everyone safe worth it? There's been 1 passenger death in the United States on a commercial airliner due to an accident in the past 10 years. There are roughly 740 million passengers per year on US domestic flights...so 1 death in 10 years means 1 out of roughly 7.4 BILLION passengers. Would you like airlines to jeopardize that in order to increase their already record high on-time arrival rates?

i understand your position it was the government and the weather that stole "12sailaways" plane that was supposed to go to miami and instead sent it to vail.  your going off on tangents that i never made an argument for nor against, i stand by my position that airline treat people like cattle and dont care, they just pr mumbo jumbo to act like they care, airlines offer garbage products.  like i said before airlines are generally the same just like cruise lines generally are generally the same.  (dont confuse how airlines treat people compared to cruiselines) However cruiselines really try to give you a great experience.

Hey I just remembered the other day i heard a gate agent mutter under her breath "why your leg was not falling off" as a passenger was complaining that she ordered a wheel chair and did not receive it.

I was going to mention as you did though in one of my previous posts, the only thing the airlines to care about and is GREAT at is SAFETY, yep we agree there, safety first and they do a great job

Re budget airlines - I've seen (by reading, not personal experience) that Frontier even charges for carry-on.  I did the math once, and by the time I paid the minimal fees with a budget airline - carryon & checked bag, not even a "pick your own seat" fee I was within spitting distance of AA - and I've read horror stories on here of a budget airline cancelling a flight and pax having to wait days for another flight on that airline, with no other "free" option.  

On 2/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, DaCruiseBug said:

Why do people insist on flying in on the same day their ship sails??? I work in the airline industry and I can't tell you how many times there's been a delay and people have missed their ship.

Fly in the night before and get yourself a comfortable hotel room for $100 and leave the stress behind.

The NCL "free air" promo is awful and this is part of the reason why. You can book flights from the NE to Florida for around $200 per person and almost anywhere else for $300 per person. Don't let NCL sucker you in because their airfare was only $149 or even "free". This is what ends up happening. Last month there was a couple flying from Detroit to Florida and NCL booked them on Frontier connecting thru Denver with an overnight connection at the airport from 12am to 5am. You seriously want to start off your vacation being up all night in an airport?

NCL Free air promo = SCAM!

I echo these comments. Ive soent hoirs comparing the fares over the years. Cruise fares are bumped up when “free air fare” is a thing. Just like when “free on board spending money” comes around. They bump the fare up. 

Im in airline industry as well. Dont book when the “take all 6” is going on, the fares are bumped and if you dont take the airfare, youre still paying for it. Book your own airfare and by all means as stated, ARRIVE NIGHT ir DAY BEFORE!!!!! Maybe two during winter popular holidays (storms plus high load factors = multi day delays)

8 hours ago, razor7_us said:

I have never heard of a "high altitude" aircraft. Best excuse ever for cancelling a flight if everyone believed it. 

High Altitude Aircraft huh? Remind me to check that somewhere before I strap myself into the left front seat of the jet next day back to work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncofan99 said:

I will cruise 3/9 on a Ncl flight from Colorado Springs to LAX.    I asked to come in a day early and was transferred to air reservations to make the change and sat on hold for 30 minutes.  As I booked was told I had to use the NCL hotel  and price was for EACH traveler.  Same hotel could be booked per room on market.  I couldn’t justify so I’m risking it.  (Additional $350 + food)  I feel for OP and hope they made it.  We missed our first cruise due to fog. I will always go the day before if I can.  

That’s strange, I would call them back and just tell them you want to travel the day prior to your cruise and you do not need a hotel and you do not need any transfers. That’s what we did. They wanted $77/person (Canadian) for transfers, I can take an Uber from Orlando to Port Canveral for a heck of a lot cheaper than that. They will charge you an extra $50/person to fly in the day before.

3 hours ago, Newleno said:

No disagreement.  I would have asked AA which of their planes are “high altitude models”?  That would have been interesting to hear their explanation.  Commercial airlines don’t have specific “high altitude” models.

To be “on time” the airlines only have to leave the gate within 15 minutes of leaving the gate or arriving at the gate.  In other words, airlines can leave the gate, and sit on the tarmac for 3 hours, as long as they left the gate within 15 minutes of departure, they’re considered “on time”.  Same with arrivals.  Once you touch down within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival time, no matter how long you have to wait for a gate agent to drive the gangway to the plane, or how long you wait to deplane, etc.

Airlines (especially American, Frontier, etc) twist the rules so badly, and provide such poor service, it’s hard to believe I think they need to go back to having more gov’t regulation.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

No disagreement.  I would have asked AA which of their planes are “high altitude models”?  That would have been interesting to hear their explanation.  Commercial airlines don’t have specific “high altitude” models.

To be “on time” the airlines only have to leave the gate within 15 minutes of leaving the gate or arriving at the gate.  In other words, airlines can leave the gate, and sit on the tarmac for 3 hours, as long as they left the gate within 15 minutes of departure, they’re considered “on time”.  Same with arrivals.  Once you touch down within 15 minutes of scheduled arrival time, no matter how long you have to wait for a gate agent to drive the gangway to the plane, or how long you wait to deplane, etc.

Airlines (especially American, Frontier, etc) twist the rules so badly, and provide such poor service, it’s hard to believe I think they need to go back to having more gov’t regulation.

I think that you, and others who have no clue on the operation of an airline should steer clear of such broad and ill-informed statements.

I have already given you an example of airports that have special requirements such as Vail, Bogota etc. If the approach is a special approach then an airplane requires certain equipment that not all airplanes have. If an airplane flies over water it needs to be ETOPS certified of it can't fly very far off the coast. If an airplane flies an extended period of time over a mountain range it has to be equipped with additional emergency equipment and oxygen for passengers.

As far as Vail is concerned, there are special requirements and authorizations required when flying certain approaches or under certain weather conditions. Maybe AA didn't do a great job at explaining things but they didn't just make it up. When they say "high altitude" they didn't mean the aircraft flying at high altitude...but the airport being at high altitude. 

I know it won't help much but here's the approach plate for Vail where you can clearly see there's special requirements.

Untitled.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The on-time statistics are based on A-14 statistics. That's arriving within 14 minutes of their scheduled arrival time. If they sit on the tarmac for 3 hours...it won't arrive on-time. Also, the arrival 14 is at the gate with the parking brake set. Stop making yourself look bad.

• Like 1

Their arithmetic is very phony.  Why does it, according to the schedules, take an hour longer to fly coast to coast than it did 25 years ago?  Most every flight I take on whatever airline the flight times are overstated to make it easier to arrive on time.  Last 2 times we flew AA we were hours late landing, computer problems they said.  International flights and the crews are far superior to domestic ones.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Their arithmetic is very phony.  Why does it, according to the schedules, take an hour longer to fly coast to coast than it did 25 years ago?  Most every flight I take on whatever airline the flight times are overstated to make it easier to arrive on time.  Last 2 times we flew AA we were hours late landing, computer problems they said.  International flights and the crews are far superior to domestic ones.

The "definition" of on-time is determined by the United States Department of Transportation, not individual airlines.

Also, flight didn't take an hour less 25 years ago. You're just making it up. I've attached a timetable from 20 years ago for American Airlines and the flights for tomorrow...on American Airlines. As you can see, the 7:00am departure from LAX to JFK is actually scheduled at 8 minutes LESS.

Next...

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

• Like 2

The airlines are not customer oriented, (they just want the money),they treat people like cattle/garbage.  If people really think the airlines treat people properly then you better go to some focus groups and find out the truth.  Here are a few examples of not being customer service oriented;  Waiting areas, uncomfortable seats, oh wait there really are not any seats anymore , seats have been replaced with expensive make shift drinking establishments, so literally there is no where to sit.  I have seen Captain's watch obese people boarding planes knowing they only have one seat, clearly the person needs 2, so as not to impede on my space.  Nothing is done about it.  I have seen Captains bolt right off the aircraft after the flight, before the passengers have been deplaned. (is that customer service, how could you possiblly hear a complaint, you should stand in the front  thanking passengers every last one)  What if there was an emergency?  How about the airlines making elderly passengers that need assistance (like a wheel chair) wait and wait and wait (is that customer service).  Or even better boarding people with disabilities first by about 15 seconds with no real opportunity to get to their seats so that they are almost getting knocked down by first class passengers rushing past.   Or how about looking at the monitor at the gate and see your flight delayed by 15 minutes, then that time goes by and they just change  it to another 15 minutes, etc... until 2 hours go by and then cancelled.  Sorry but that is not customer service that is not showing compassion and respect for your passengers.  these are just a few examples of horrific customer service by the airlines.   According to the OP the airline literally stole a plane after they were boarded, I cant believe people in the airline industry are defending this as great customer service.  These are just a few examples.

10 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The "definition" of on-time is determined by the United States Department of Transportation, not individual airlines.

Also, flight didn't take an hour less 25 years ago. You're just making it up. I've attached a timetable from 20 years ago for American Airlines and the flights for tomorrow...on American Airlines. As you can see, the 7:00am departure from LAX to JFK is actually scheduled at 8 minutes LESS.

Next...

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Hmm so in todays age airline are not padding times?  Lets play that same game with chicago to south bend, to milwaukee, and to lansing michigan.  I will be interested to see the results.

11 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Hmm so in todays age airline are not padding times?  Lets play that same game with chicago to south bend, to milwaukee, and to lansing michigan.  I will be interested to see the results.

The "padding" is based on historical taxi in/out times, not just because an airline wants to show on-time. A 737 has an additional $15-20 per minute labor costs for just the crew. You think the airlines like to add 20 minutes just for the heck of it? That's easily $300-400 per flight if they did that. American Airlines has close to 7,000 flights per day. That would be a cost of over $1 Billion per year.

13 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The on-time statistics are based on A-14 statistics. That's arriving within 14 minutes of their scheduled arrival time. If they sit on the tarmac for 3 hours...it won't arrive on-time. Also, the arrival 14 is at the gate with the parking brake set. Stop making yourself look bad.

It is ok to give correct information but it is your attitude that is making YOU look bad.

• Like 2

I’ve landed, been on time, plane pulled to the gate, set the brake, and waited a half hour for the American gate agent to show up.  Technically, they were on schedule.  In reality, we were way late getting off the plane.  That makes it late for the passengers

I’ve always wondered, were they not expecting us?  It’s the same flight, scheduled to be there every day, at the same time.  How did they not have gate agents there?