Jade/Breakaway passengers stuck at JFK

Sailing12Away

59 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I’ve landed, been on time, plane pulled to the gate, set the brake, and waited a half hour for the American gate agent to show up.  Technically, they were on schedule.  In reality, we were way late getting off the plane.  That makes it late for the passengers

I’ve always wondered, were they not expecting us?  It’s the same flight, scheduled to be there every day, at the same time.  How did they not have gate agents there?

Usually when this happens it's because the agent is en route from another gate. At most airlines agents are assigned flights and not gates so if there's another flight that has an issue and a plane is coming in then it takes a few minutes to find another agent to cover. I've been in the airline industry for over a decade and have flown over 5 million miles and have never waited a half hour for an agent to arrive after you're in at the gate. 10-15 minutes? Yes, a few times. But never a half hour. 

Airline travel is the safest and one of the most reliable and on-time modes of transportation. Not sure why you have an axe to grind against American Airlines. Maybe it's your perception based on a few unpleasant experiences?

Btw: I don't work for American so i'm not trying to defend my employer.

44 minutes ago, holdon216 said:

Soooooo did they make the cruise????

Wondering the same thing, but think they did, because otherwise they would be somewhere where there is the internet and would have let us know.  If their plane landed at 2, they should have gotten their luggage, a taxi and been to the ship on time, before the ramp went up.

OP is on the sailing roll call.

I am curious what Delta flight AA or NCL put them on to get there around 2'ish ???

Whereas AA 2 flights, one was a delayed one that landed with a fair to good chance of making it the pier ... checked baggage, too, hopefully 

Both flights flew as high as FL380 ... high attitude capable enough, maybe over the water certified too, LOL.

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

I find it AOC to think that some believe the airline industry is passenger friendly.  The documentation is there for "padding of flight times"  (sources: forbes, wall street journal, npr, los angeles times, etc, etc, etc,)  Every time something goes wrong the airlines are like: "passengers dont understand" instead of fixing the problems. 

My opinion is a lot of the airlines decisions with passengers are not based on statistical probability.  (not talking safety, talking passengers needs/comfort)  You dont have passengers sitting on planes for 3 hours, (1 hour at the gate, 2 hours on the tarmac) because you hope you can get the flight out.  Airlines dont get it and as you can see from this thread, they will defend this lunacy.

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Newleno said:

I find it AOC to think that some believe the airline industry is passenger friendly.  The documentation is there for "padding of flight times"  (sources: forbes, wall street journal, npr, los angeles times, etc, etc, etc,)  Every time something goes wrong the airlines are like: "passengers dont understand" instead of fixing the problems. 

My opinion is a lot of the airlines decisions with passengers are not based on statistical probability.  (not talking safety, talking passengers needs/comfort)  You dont have passengers sitting on planes for 3 hours, (1 hour at the gate, 2 hours on the tarmac) because you hope you can get the flight out.  Airlines dont get it and as you can see from this thread, they will defend this lunacy.

The mainstream airlines have a balance between turning a profit and providing a good service to passengers. It's easy to complain about your TV not working right or the internet being slow or paying to check a bag but...if you stop and think about it how bad is it really? An airline ticket is for transportation from point A to point B yet you still get complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and free alcoholic beverages if you're a frequent flier or sitting in premium economy...which is more then a cruise line can say.

As far as the padding of times goes, it's all based on historical times to taxi in and out. At a cost of $15-20 per minute and a potential cost hundreds of millions of dollars per year do you think it's really what airlines do? If you also look at JD Power you'll see that customer satisfaction scores have been consistently rising across the board. It's not just a coincidence. Airlines have added free liquor on certain flights, bringing back meals, free wi-fi etc. These are all things they could make millions on instead they choose to offer it for free. Why? To appease customers.

Just like all the other things said about airlines it's just an ill informed opinion and the facts say otherwise.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/customer-satisfaction-airlines-rising-long-inflight-entertainment-good-n878626

Edited by DaCruiseBug

We only took the ncl air one time with their shuttles....ugh.  Was horrible times and the shuttle was a nightmare waiting on so many people.  Never again.... I would rather book my own flight and own shuttles and have control over coming early....I have been fortunate and never had to come in same day, that would stress me out too much!!!    Some air was free on ones I checked recently but I am still like "nope".....I'll pass but thanks.  They did provide a hotel for us that one time but it was awful haha.  A lesson learned!!

Leah

13 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The mainstream airlines have a balance between turning a profit and providing a good service to passengers. It's easy to complain about your TV not working right or the internet being slow or paying to check a bag but...if you stop and think about it how bad is it really? An airline ticket is for transportation from point A to point B yet you still get complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and free alcoholic beverages if you're a frequent flier or sitting in premium economy...which is more then a cruise line can say.

As far as the padding of times goes, it's all based on historical times to taxi in and out. At a cost of $15-20 per minute and a potential cost hundreds of millions of dollars per year do you think it's really what airlines do? If you also look at JD Power you'll see that customer satisfaction scores have been consistently rising across the board. It's not just a coincidence. Airlines have added free liquor on certain flights, bringing back meals, free wi-fi etc. These are all things they could make millions on instead they choose to offer it for free. Why? To appease customers.

Just like all the other things said about airlines it's just an ill informed opinion and the facts say otherwise.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/customer-satisfaction-airlines-rising-long-inflight-entertainment-good-n878626

Wifi?, TV?, alcohol?, meals?  who cares if I cant make my connnection Your deflecting and you just dont get it.  Here is another example of how airlines just dont get it.  get to airport (I think south bend but not sure, perhaps not) The pilots arrive late to the plane early in the morning, the flight attendant even later cause she had to get coffee.  Then the pilot made an announcement that the van from the hotel was late, (funny cause i was at the same hotel and i arrived on time before the pilots) then the plane was cold because a power unit? was broken and they could not heat the plane, then there was frost on the wings so needed to  de-ice, de-ice truck could not get started, then after finally got started it ran out of fluid.  All in all we were about an hour and 10 minutes late and i missed my connection.  

The airlines dont get it, they just dont get it,  1. be on time to the aircraft,  2 have a plane in working order, 3 have your de-ice truck warmed up and ready to go.  Simple very simple yet the airlines cant figure this stuff out.  This is not an anomaly,  airlines treat people like garbage especially people who need assistance, like wheel chairs.  And oh yeah dont steal planes headed for miami and fly them to vail.  Instead try a thing called planning.

18 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Wifi?, TV?, alcohol?, meals?  who cares if I cant make my connnection Your deflecting and you just dont get it.  Here is another example of how airlines just dont get it.  get to airport (I think south bend but not sure, perhaps not) The pilots arrive late to the plane early in the morning, the flight attendant even later cause she had to get coffee.  Then the pilot made an announcement that the van from the hotel was late, (funny cause i was at the same hotel and i arrived on time before the pilots) then the plane was cold because a power unit? was broken and they could not heat the plane, then there was frost on the wings so needed to  de-ice, de-ice truck could not get started, then after finally got started it ran out of fluid.  All in all we were about an hour and 10 minutes late and i missed my connection.  

The airlines dont get it, they just dont get it,  1. be on time to the aircraft,  2 have a plane in working order, 3 have your de-ice truck warmed up and ready to go.  Simple very simple yet the airlines cant figure this stuff out.  This is not an anomaly,  airlines treat people like garbage especially people who need assistance, like wheel chairs.  And oh yeah dont steal planes headed for miami and fly them to vail.  Instead try a thing called planning.

You're again completely missing the point. You can be as upset as you'd like about your experience but airlines operate on-time 80%+ of the time. Weather on it's own accounts for 1/3 of weather delay minutes.

As far as crews being on-time...there is required rest mandated by the FAA and crews have a schedule departure time from the hotel. If the shuttle is late leaving the hotel it can happen that the crews arrive late at the airport. That flight attendant getting coffee probably took 2 minutes to get some food for his/her upcoming 14 hour day. I know all this is hard to comprehend and no matter what I say you'll think airlines are the devil but...if you don't like it you can always drive, take a greyhound, or take a train. Of course a greyhound or train are more expensive then buying an airline ticket and in many cases so is driving on your own.

Airline1218Chart.jpg

Generally speaking, commercial airlines have become a miserable way to travel.  There are folks that have certainly done more air travel than I have, but I've flown a lot, over the last couple of decades.  The changes the airlines have made do nothing to get passengers from point A to point B in a relatively on time schedule (not the airlines' definition, but getting passengers to their destinations AND OFF THE PLANE at the scheduled times).

They pack more seats on a plane, change the pitch of the seats, shrink the size of the seats, make the seats more uncomfortable, inconvenience passengers at their whim to "maximize profit".  I can't even count the times I've been given different excuses why the same flight has been delayed, can't board, can't disembark, can't land, can't take off, etc.  They'll use as many excuses as they can to keep you on the plane/flight that's delayed so you can bolt to another flight or airline.  Plus, they make it financially painful for you to bolt to another flight/airline that can even though they can't make their own flight times.

Last cruise I took, the most recent excuse for a late flight sort of topped the excuses I've heard.  Our flight was delayed because they were missing one flashlight (which they have many on board).  Where the flashlight went from the time it touched down the prior flight, to our flight, is anyone's guess.  That was a new low.  Fortunately, I had some padding built in because real and true flight arrival times (when you can actually deplane) are so arbitrary it is an absolute necessity.  The result?  about ⅓ of the flight missed their connections.  

Bottom line, airlines can "claim" they are technically on time, but until they get you on or off the plane, (which could vary by hours sometimes) once you've boarded and/or landed, none of the other "on time" figures matter.

Personally, if any politician wants to take on the abuses of the airline industry, they'll get my vote.

Edited by graphicguy

20 hours ago, holdon216 said:

Soooooo did they make the cruise????

My understanding from the Group Services Coordinator is that some guests missed the sailing.  Do not know if it was this group or not or where or if they would be joining the cruise.

35 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Generally speaking, commercial airlines have become a miserable way to travel.  There are folks that have certainly done more air travel than I have, but I've flown a lot, over the last couple of decades.  The changes the airlines have made do nothing to get passengers from point A to point B in a relatively on time schedule (not the airlines' definition, but getting passengers to their destinations AND OFF THE PLANE at the scheduled times).

They pack more seats on a plane, change the pitch of the seats, shrink the size of the seats, make the seats more uncomfortable, inconvenience passengers at their whim to "maximize profit".  I can't even count the times I've been given different excuses why the same flight has been delayed, can't board, can't disembark, can't land, can't take off, etc.  They'll use as many excuses as they can to keep you on the plane/flight that's delayed so you can bolt to another flight or airline.  Plus, they make it financially painful for you to bolt to another flight/airline that can even though they can't make their own flight times.

Last cruise I took, the most recent excuse for a late flight sort of topped the excuses I've heard.  Our flight was delayed because they were missing one flashlight (which they have many on board).  Where the flashlight went from the time it touched down the prior flight, to our flight, is anyone's guess.  That was a new low.  Fortunately, I had some padding built in because real and true flight arrival times (when you can actually deplane) are so arbitrary it is an absolute necessity.  The result?  about ⅓ of the flight missed their connections.  

Bottom line, airlines can "claim" they are technically on time, but until they get you on or off the plane, (which could vary by hours sometimes) once you've boarded and/or landed, none of the other "on time" figures matter.

Personally, if any politician wants to take on the abuses of the airline industry, they'll get my vote.

There's a reason there's minimum connection times. If you book your ticket on Priceline with a 35-40 minute connection to save a few bucks then that's on you. Being on-time is the time the plane blocks into the gate...not the time you get off. It can take up to 20 minutes to deplane an entire plane. So by your definition the person in row 7 was on-time and the person in row 40 is late? Come on...don't be ridiculous.

A flashlight is a mandatory piece of emergency equipment. If one is missing, or is inoperative, then there are steps the airline needs to take to comply with FAA regulations. It seems like something quite dumb and small but it's because of these tight regulations that you've only had 1 passenger death in an accident on a US airline in the past 10 years.

The reality is that the number 1 priority for most passengers is PRICE. You want more leg room? Pay for a premium economy seat, not a basic economy seat. It's really that simple.

You can sit there and complain about how much better it was back in the day. Yes, it sure was. But you know what? The average airline ticket in 1979 was $615 when adjusted for inflation and in 2016 it was $344. That's 78% more to fly in 1979 compared to 2016. I mean...you can buy a one way ticket from New York to Los Angeles for under $100 these days...yes...to travel 2,500 miles!

If you want certain amenities, certain attention, more leg room etc...it's all there for you. You just can't expect it on your $99 fare. You're willing to pay $3,000 for 2 people for 7 nights on a cruise yet you complain about your $99 flight. Spend $600 on a first class ticket from Chicago to South Florida instead of looking for the $89 bargain fare on Spirit.

17 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

There's a reason there's minimum connection times. If you book your ticket on Priceline with a 35-40 minute connection to save a few bucks then that's on you. Being on-time is the time the plane blocks into the gate...not the time you get off. It can take up to 20 minutes to deplane an entire plane.

Interesting that you brought this up, I had to work in Greensboro a few months so in order to get there we had to connect in Charlotte.  Charlotte airport a big huge airport where the passengers must walk out in the rain (sometimes over a block) to catch their flight on the puddle jumper.  Well one flight we were actually on time but the passenger next to me said they only have 35 minutes to make their flight, I was like did you book thru priceline or expedia?  No she said she booked directly with American.  WOW -  now that is customer service, that is caring about the passenger.  I mean even now you can clearly find scenarios where one has 49 minutes to make a connection, according to you, 20 minutes to get off the plane, plus you have to be on the plane 15 minutes before departure,  so now that leaves you 14 minutes to make your flight, that is if you are on time.  Airlines and their employees think this is a great  business model, that it is customer friendly.  Hey 80% percent of the time I remember to pick my kids up from school, I am father of the year by far. 

Edited by Newleno

10 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Interesting that you brought this up, I had to work in Greensboro a few months so in order to get there we had to connect in Charlotte.  Charlotte airport a big huge airport where the passengers must walk out in the rain (sometimes over a block) to catch their flight on the puddle jumper.  Well one flight we were actually on time but the passenger next to me said they only have 35 minutes to make their flight, I was like did you book thru priceline or expedia?  No she said she booked directly with American.  WOW -  now that is customer service, that is caring about the passenger.  I mean even now you can clearly find scenarios where one has 49 minutes to make a connection, according to you, 20 minutes to get off the plane, plus you have to be on the plane 15 minutes before departure,  so now that leaves you 14 minutes to make your flight, that is if you are on time.  Airlines and their employees think this is a great  business model, that it is customer friendly.  Hey 80% percent of the time I remember to pick my kids up from school, I am father of the year by far. 

Did American force that passenger to book that ticket? Also, because a passenger says they have 35 minutes to make their flight doesn't mean they actually have a 35 minute connection. Most people will use the boarding time on their boarding pass or the time they get off the plane etc. In Charlotte, on a regional flight 35 minutes is generally enough time. If you're worried about your connection time then book a flight with a little more time. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to book connecting flights that close. When I book a flight I always give myself at least 90 minutes since that gives me enough time to get off, go to the restroom, stretch my legs etc. It's called personal responsibility. I know, it's lacking a lot in today's society of "me, me, me". Just like the people that book those 10am flight and are then upset when they don't make it because it took extra time to get off the ship. But hey...it's always someone else's fault.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Did American force that passenger to book that ticket? Also, because a passenger says they have 35 minutes to make their flight doesn't mean they actually have a 35 minute connection. 

Nope I fly all the time, i know the difference between boarding time and scheduled departure time,  I looked at her ticket.  Plus see that is where you are looking at things from your own airline experience and fail to understand people from the outside world.  If an airline offers me a flight to purchase why would i not purchase it?  just think about it, i go to their website, this flight and connection pops up, i buy it,   a lot of people are not savvy travelers.  Now because of my experience  I would not purchase such a flight, but others will because they dont know, they relied on the airline and their expertise,  some passengers are just to ignorant to know the ins and outs.  They dont realize that airlines dont care if you make your connection or not.

Not sure who actually works for the airline industry here.  But, what I'm hearing, the customers' really have no say in how the airline industry serves them.  Take it or leave it, seems to be the motto from the commercial airlines.  

If you're saying that paying higher fares gets me to the gate and off the plane on time, I'd pay it.  We all know that's not the case, however.  I know I pay higher (much higher) fares on the airlines these days because I'm a business traveler, who usually can't take advantage of booking far in advance.  I'm paying more now than I did even 5 years ago.  And, the service, whether on board or in the gate areas, the timeliness of flights, the (sometimes unbearable) lack of even a little comfort, etc has dropped dramatically, regardless of the fare.

Low fares are a product of competition.  Jet Blue has low fares AND good service.  The same, only to a little lesser degree, Southwest.

We can only pay what the airlines charge.  Passengers can't negotiate fares. 

Edited by graphicguy

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

A few of the folks on here need a private chatroom.  🙂

You're right.  I'm guilty.  Obviously, this is an issue for some of us and the airlines just won't listen and just don't care.  That bothers us.

I'll cease and desist!

26 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Next, we're gonna be told that airline food is prepared by a Michelin star chef.

While the food itself isn't prepared by a Michelin star chef (hundreds of thousands of meals per day), most airlines do use a famous chef to essentially design their onboard meals.

https://www.ajc.com/travel/delta-other-airlines-take-flight-meals-upscale/WZRkK3mF8UfKchWsjL3PtO/

Edited by DaCruiseBug

I used to work for Marriott Inflight back in the day in ATL...supplied Eastern among others....first class food was good...no Michelin Chefs though...Early 80's....ran standby meals for the longest time.  

First class food was a tradable commodity on the ramp.  Don't even get me started on the first class liquor boxes.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure who actually works for the airline industry here.  But, what I'm hearing, the customers' really have no say in how the airline industry serves them.  Take it or leave it, seems to be the motto from the commercial airlines.  

If you're saying that paying higher fares gets me to the gate and off the plane on time, I'd pay it.  We all know that's not the case, however.  I know I pay higher (much higher) fares on the airlines these days because I'm a business traveler, who usually can't take advantage of booking far in advance.  I'm paying more now than I did even 5 years ago.  And, the service, whether on board or in the gate areas, the timeliness of flights, the (sometimes unbearable) lack of even a little comfort, etc has dropped dramatically, regardless of the fare.

Low fares are a product of competition.  Jet Blue has low fares AND good service.  The same, only to a little lesser degree, Southwest.

We can only pay what the airlines charge.  Passengers can't negotiate fares. 

Last minute fares are actually lower today then they have been in the past, so again...perception. But the numbers say otherwise.  You can actually buy a last minute ticket for tomorrow from JFK to LAX for under $200, or on Friday for $150. It used to be that those last minute fares were $400-600 up until 5-10 years ago.

Airlines spend millions of dollars every year getting feedback from passengers to try and improve their product. There's actually several events airlines host where frequent fliers are invited to meet with top executives to share feedback directly.